• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

So a Skaven Doomwheel fires at a some ogres...

Noobafrass

Grave Guard
...and assuming it doesn't misfire (HA!), what happens? Let's say for arguments sake that it rolls a 6 on the artillery dice.

In other news, I played a game the other day with 2 doomwheels and a few weapons teams and rolled the artillery die 14 times over the course of the game. 13 of those 14 times were misfires, which for you math geeks out there, is pretty astronomical odds of happenings. But perhaps more insane? The only casualties inflicted on my own army were a small handful, not even 10, of slaves. Serious!

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
First lightning hits. Roll to wound. Roll how many wounds are caused. The unit suffers that many wound unless it is greater than the number of wounds on the model in the unit with the least number of wounds (noramly 3 if they havn't sufferd anything ealier in the battle). Repeat with second and third lightning.

In other words. Each lighting strike can only kill one ogre. If it does less wound than what is needed to kill the ogre then the next lightning has to finish him of before another on takes any wounds.

I don't think I can support these statments with page references, and some people play it differently, but as far as I know this is the most common way of playing it.

yeah you are right mate its ok vs ogres, monsters and warmachines but against infantry it aint so good as it can only kill 3 max a turn. its a monster killing unit

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
^^ Definetly hit multi-wound foes with the wheel. The grind attack can eat some infantry, but the lightning is the heavy hitter, and you want it zapping monsters.

Noobafrass

Grave Guard
Cool thanks folks! And ya, the doomwheel is awesome if used on big monster-type things, but when it came to monstrous infantry and the multiple wounds and the (i think) unclear wording in the book, we obviously had some confusion

Chaos_Born

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I have always played multiple shots, multiple wound weapons like this

Roll to wound with all of the hits, then roll any saves, then roll all the multiple wounds dice. Any that score more wounds than the targets' max wounds get reduced down to the max wound value. Total up the scores and then take that many wounds off the unit

The various bits of info on multiple wound models and weapons are a bit dense to read through, but I'm pretty sure that this achieves the correct results