• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Given that, aside from Karak Norn Clansman fluff thread, we have no active debate since years, i was wondering if someone plays 40k in 9th edition, and what armies are the most loved by we undead players...

I've got 8 armies (which is somehow crazy, but you know how impulsive collecting works)

Imperium (in order of most liked to less liked)
- Adeptus mechanicus
- Grey Knights
- Space marines (mostly firstborn, haven't bought the 9th codex for them and haven't used them with the new ed.)
- astra militarum

Xeno:
- Necrons (undead in space baby!)
- Tau

Chaos:
- Creations of Bile
- Chaos Knights

Last edited:

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
I haven't ever played, but I do keep up with the lore. I almost started Adeptus Mechanicus, who aren't too far off from necromancers themselves.

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
I haven't played it in a long time, since 7th edition probably. I do still collect armies tho, but most are unassembled, waiting for the interest for 40k to come back (currently we just started getting back into fantasy). So it goes something like this:

Assembled:
Blood Angels/Flesh Tearers army (space vampires!) - played them in 7th

Unassembled:
Space Marine part of Indomitus - to be added to the BA/FT army
Necron part of Indomitus - still don't know if to play or sell
Adeptus Mechanicus - a few boxes
Chaos Space Marines - a Start Collecting box and a Death Guard box, would like to expand on each of the Chaos gods chapters
Orks - very few boxes/models (some of which I intended to use for Necromunda), would like to have a big mean green army

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
I haven't played it in a long time, since 7th edition probably.

IMO, on a general level, 9th ed. improved greatly the game, if we consider core rules. Much better than 7th or 8th.
The balance between codex is, anyway, a real mess. As often happens with GW.

Thinking on it. that is the real distinctive element that could be copyrighted...

Loran

Destroyer of Worlds
Feb 26, 2008
Finland
I've not played a game of 40k in years, but painting and modelling is still ongoing. I've bought the occasional new model as well...

Armies:
Blood Angels
Space Wolves
Dark Angels
Space Marines (an assortment of squads from Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, Iron Hands, Salamanders, Raven Guard and White Scars)
Grey Knights / Inquisition / Assassins
Custodes / Sisters of Silence
Chaos Space Marines / Death Guard / Thousand Sons
Chaos Daemons
Tau
Tyranids
Imperial Guard
Ynnari / Eldar / Dark Eldar
Necrons

Then I think I've got some models for Orks from a starter set from a few editions back and some Nobs that I bought for the parts to use for converting Skaven. I think the only armies that I've never bought even a single model for are Genestealer Cults and Imperial/Chaos Knights. I've got a few Sisters of Battle models and then Belisarius Cawl for the Adeptus Mechanicus from one of the boxes. These will get a token force for thematical painting purposes but most likely never a full army. Blood Angels are my first and largest army, and I've got some Primaris models for them as well from the latest starter sets.

As for rules, I don't have the latest ruleset but quite a lot of the earlier editions, even a couple of limited edition rule books. But still, no games for some years...

Jun 26, 2021
I have a group of Space Marines that were either Raven Guard/Night Lords geneseed spliced with Blood Angels (part of the Cursed Founding), I do intend to eventually go back to them and fix their paintwork and conversions.

I have a few squads of Imperial Guard with a few odd vehicles, a few Space Orks, a couple units of Necrons, and a few Chaos Marines.

In addition I have the starter set for Aeronautica Imperialis as well as Blackstone Fortress.

However, most of my 40K stuff is in the Fantasy Flight Games rpg books as well as a lot of Black Library books (almost at the end of the 100 Hachette novel run.)

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
I've not played a game of 40k in years, but painting and modelling is still ongoing. I've bought the occasional new model as well...

Armies:
Blood Angels
Space Wolves
Dark Angels
Space Marines (an assortment of squads from Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, Iron Hands, Salamanders, Raven Guard and White Scars)
Grey Knights / Inquisition / Assassins
Custodes / Sisters of Silence
Chaos Space Marines / Death Guard / Thousand Sons
Chaos Daemons
Tau
Tyranids
Imperial Guard
Ynnari / Eldar / Dark Eldar
Necrons

Then I think I've got some models for Orks from a starter set from a few editions back and some Nobs that I bought for the parts to use for converting Skaven. I think the only armies that I've never bought even a single model for are Genestealer Cults and Imperial/Chaos Knights. I've got a few Sisters of Battle models and then Belisarius Cawl for the Adeptus Mechanicus from one of the boxes. These will get a token force for thematical painting purposes but most likely never a full army. Blood Angels are my first and largest army, and I've got some Primaris models for them as well from the latest starter sets.

As for rules, I don't have the latest ruleset but quite a lot of the earlier editions, even a couple of limited edition rule books. But still, no games for some years...

Impressive. Most impressive.

Kaptain Von

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2008
United Kingdom
I technically started with 40K, although I didn't really play "properly" - WFB was my first "write an army list and play a points match" experience.

I've built, painted and sold four different Ork armies, two Chaos Space Marine armies, two Dark Eldar armies and one second-hand Necron army (which was ironically the one I had the most fun playing, for a couple of years), through third to sixth editions. I had the rules for seventh but couldn't find a player base (living in the Welsh countryside and not driving is a bit of a nuisance sometimes) and found them bloated and unwieldy - from what I see of eighth and ninth it's only getting worse, a morass of metacurrencies and invisible subfactions and arbitrary flip-flops on the win conditions.

Nevertheless, I have a small set of the newfangled Chaos Space Marines who I'm occasionally painting up. I'll probably play third or fourth edition rules with them, most of the time, but I want them to at least be usable in the modern game if I have to meet people halfway in a "you try mine and I'll try yours" kind of setup.

Reactions: Grave Tacticus

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
IN the meantime, I've managed to complete a for fun project, started in may.
A T'au Auxillary force!

kroot carnivores, commanded by a kroot Shaper

Kroot - K Shaper.jpg

some Vespids

Vespid.jpg

A weird alien devoted to the Greater Good, which managed to obtain the rank of Fireblade...

SkinkStrider.jpg

...leading the honorable Gue'vesa, who joined the fire warriors cast

Gue-vesa warriors.jpg

The entire auxillary force!

Auxillary force.jpg

Azakael

Skeleton
40K yes. It's where I began the GW addiction... hobby.

- Dark Angels (These are to 40K what my Undead is for Fantasy/ AoS - my "forever" army. I will keep adding to it until I have a chapter.)
- Tyranids
- Genestealer Cults
- Thousand Sons
- Flesh Tearers (Primaris, mostly.)

and then enough other random figures in my collection to do a Kill Team v2 for:
- Ad Mech
- Talons of the Emperor (Custodes / Sisters of Silence)
- CSM
- Death Guard
- Daemons
- Drukhari

Reactions: Unas the slayer

Samwise

Zombie
Feb 17, 2008
40K got me back into the GW plastic crack. I collect and play with:

Orks/Speed Freaks (Orks is the best afterall)
Necrons (So close to having a fully painted army)
Thousand Sons
Space Wolves

I tend to play Orks most often as I love the army and the fluff. I am excited to get the Thousand Sons onto the table more with the new book as they can actually play in 9th ed now. Necrons I tend to lend to my buddy who loves then since I played them a ton early edition and want to explore my other armies. Space Wolves come out to play when I really just want to get into combat and mix it up!

I have only played against one of the nasty meta armies in 9e, facing the Ad Mech a couple of months ago. They are truly nonsense and GW needs to take a long hard look at how they approach internal game balance with stuff like that and Drukhari making it into the wild as they are. That said I need to get my Speed Freaks into the Ad Mech before the Orks catch a nerf to see if they can play better into those metal goofs.

Gederas

Grave Guard
Jun 15, 2021
Rhode Island
Oh boy.... Let's just say my AoS pile of Shame being a bunch of Daughters of Khaine and the Soulblight Gravelords has nothing on my 40k habit.... 🤣😅

My current armies for 40k are:
- Dark Angels (AT LEAST 6000 points), with the firstborn all doing double-duty for Age of Darkness/30k
- Night Lords
- World Eaters (on hold until we get actual Berzerkers because I'm not spending 110 every 10 Berzerkers, and I'll be damned if I'm using a kit as old as I am as the core of my force when there's new models)
- Emperor's Spears
- Black Templars
- Imperial Knights
- Imperial Guard (Technically because of Kill Team, I got a bunch of Kriegers and I'm making them into their own thing)

And if we're counting other games in the grim darkness of the far future, I have two Adeptus Titanicus Legios (Tempestus and Ignatum) and two Necromunda gangs (Corpse Grinders and Goliaths).

My Night Lords force is technically my most complete 40k army with only a few models unpainted, but the Knights would be the easiest for me to complete as it's only about 10 models currently. But even Armigers are kind of large painting projects 😅

Last edited:

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
My Night Lords force is technically my most complete 40k army with only a few models unpainted, but the Knights would be the easiest for me to complete as it's only about 10 models currently. But even Armigers are kind of large painting projects 😅

Vampires in space!
Would you share some pics?

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Horray!

I've finally completed the recovery of a triarch stalker that i took in a large lot of 3rd hand necron bundle, which was totally missing the upper part.
Between the various models, there were also some incompleted tomb blades (some without rider, some without weapons...)

So, i went from this starting point:

IMG-20211008-WA0006.jpg

to this:

IMG-20211008-WA0007.jpg

and finally:

Triarch 2-a.jpg

Triarch 2-b.jpg

Triarch 2-c.jpg

I am satisfied by the final result.

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
It's always the Mechanicus' fault, isn't it?

Currently playing "Mechanicus" itself. So that's what happens when you take "Pleaae God let my computer start" too seriously.

Sume

Ghoul
Nov 10, 2012
I haven't played any of the 9th ed 40k. Played a little here and there since 3rd. 40k was never that big with me. Sadly my area it sees more play. So I have Slaanesh demons, Sisters of Battle and Tau for team tournament play since we themed a 4 man team after the Tau castes.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu