• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

So I always wanted a plog...

Too bad I don't really paint anymore. However, I do love converting and finally thought I'd ask if people don't mind a clog instead? Mostly I've just shamelessly stolen ideas from others around the internet, but sometimes put my own twist on things, or else made up something myself.

Unfortunately, I don't have the best camera, but here's a decent shot of one of my old projects that I had painted up by some lovely folks working for SavageDpainting in Poland.

Thought I'd add another one.

At some point I decided that my army was going to have an undead empire theme. This was my first attempt at really trying to Empire-up my VC:

They're mostly a kitbash of the GW kits for skeletons and greatswords, with some greenstuff wrapped around the hips and shoulders.

I couldn't find a pre-painted shot of them, but if I do I'll post it.

Found one!

And here was my inspiration for the unit:

Sadly, I didnt put in all the effort to have the same level of 'old' look where this model has a rusty old sword. Many of my guys do have torn and tattered old uniforms though :)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Cool! I intend to convert Greatswords into Grave Guard, so this is quite a nice piece of inspiration and reference :) The mounted one looks a bit weird being so top-heavy, but despite it he looks cool :)

Also, converting is as much part of the hobby as is painting ;) Nothing wrong with having a clog here ;)

Thanks, Borgnine :)
I agree about converting. However, I know people have many different feelings about people not painting their own stuff. One of my own friends thinks is very patriotic and thinks I should at least be having people from here paint my stuff instead of sending it to Poland. There are just so many good Polish painters, and the value you get for a similar price is so much higher too.

Here are a couple projects I'm currently working on:

- 4/5 Vampire Knights
- 3 undead pegasi ridden by vampire ladies

The 3 ladies of the Count's court are nothing too original, but I have tried to tie them together with something a little more sinister, maybe even Lhamia-esque by givinig them each twinned daggers, one of which is curved.

I think they look menacing enough to be counts-as vargheists with the frenzy, except one of them who I just used the arm that came with, the one arm that is resting against her dress. I've been thinking maybe to replace it in order to give her the appearance of a more frenzied state.

There's still lots of little work to do on them, including the quite obvious in the photos below, to cut the 3rd one's right fingers off and sculpt them holding the dagger, and double check for mould lines!

Also, I've been trying out different wings on them. I had been gifted a set of varg wings to use, but they look too fleshy with the shoulders. I bought some Reaper Bones undead devil wings, and they were too small. I've been thinking to try morghast wings next, but damn... that would be expensive just for wings. Right now I'm thinking just to negatively sculpt the shoulders down to thinner meat, or right down to bone.

Anyway, here they are, sorry the photos aren't the best angles, and heads are still just blue-tacked on.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Those undead Greatswords are looking awesome!

Fantastic job converting those and some very impressive green stuffing. I've longed stayed away from sclutping cloths but you seem to have pulled if off really well. Great painting too, especially the banner. Lovely way of combining the twin tailed comet with a skull.

The Von Carstein general looks neat too. Very much like the way you painted the puffy sleeves with the blue showing through.

I love your clog! It's always nice to see how people make use of bits and bobs, and as long as you don't mind my "appropriating" some of your ideas, keep 'em coming! I think you do beautiful work. Your sculpted "torn" clothing looks fantastic.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Eternal Salvation The Greatswords conversions have been a thing on my mind for years and your conversions are pushing me to buy some! They look brilliant mate.

It's a shame you're not as devoted to painting as your are converting - your mounted vamp has turned out really well. That glowing rune on the book looks pretty darn real!

Awesome work, I like it all.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your encouraging replies, everyone!

@Mad 'At I wish I could take credit for the painting, but while I chose the colour layout and design, the painting skills are not my own. They belong to Jack of Rothand Studio. He has since moved on from the hobby. While I'm attributing work, the two mounted models were painted by SDP painting service.

@benvoliothefirst Appropriate away, my friend! I always figure if you put it out there people will draw on it if they like it! And actually a lot of my conversion ideas come from beautiful minis I have found on the web and used myself.

@Farmer7574 I used to be devoted to painting, but when it took me 4 months to almost finish painting 5 mounted wraiths I gave up, lol. Blending many layers just takes more time than I have..

I'm trying to upload a couple other things I'm working on right now (including a Nosferatu/Necrarch on foot shamelessly stolen from Nordic_Dragon of Deviant Art, a wraith I think I saw on this site, and my own creation of vampire knights) but I suspect my file sizes are too large as I keep getting upload errors. However there is no reason given. Any pointers?

Here are the bodies and heads I've accumulated for the unit.

I managed to get a hold of these sheilds too, but I have to admit, I'm not fond of them for a unit. Been thinking of these other skull motifs.

Very excited to see where this goes! Getting all those vampire torsos from the zombie dragon kit seems like it could be an expensive task...

Wow! Great conversions all of them! The Vampire is realy something! I wish I could paint like that! Very very curious were you're going with the Vampire knights as I'm also planning on doing such a unit! As of Shields, have you thought of using the Shields and banner from GW? Only if you're considering other Shields though. I think the ones you have will be very nice!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Great stuff all around! Those skeletal hellwraiths are certainly something original - a good use for those silly Morghasts. That flagellant head is also perfect - when I saw it for the first time, I knew it fits great into such a project ;) Vampires look promising, those closed helmets are very badass - in what set one can find them?

Also, I know that you don't paint them, but I have to admit that the glowing rune on the mounted guy looks just awesome - surely something to keep in mind as inspiration ;)

Hey everyone,
Thanks again for all your encouragement. I actually got tired of the pegasi project a while ago and almost gave up on it. As it stands now, 2/3 have wings magnetized on and I think the image is pretty cool. Thanks again @Infernal Skull for the excellent suggestion.

The next step is to see if I can 'open up' one set of wings for the center model that will be airborne. I'm trying to figure out if I can do it with just one pair of wings or if I'll need to combine 2 pair. I really want the wings to look more outstretched.

I'll post photos later.

No work has been done on other fronts. Including the, yes more expensive than I wanted @benvoliothefirst , but actually the bodies were pretty easy to get off bits sites and buddies. It's the horses that are expensive, though I'm sure I'll find uses for all their parts.

@Nagash Worshiper, I assume you mean the ones for the Blood Knights? The original plan for the knights was to avoid buying the nasty GW finecast, and also to keep the cost down... oops.. but I really didn't see the dragon princes fitting in to my Empire themed army, so after digging around and brainstorming the project changed budget. That said, I think it would be awesome to have sheilds from the original unit, but I think because of the way they cast Finecast, there are rarely split up by bits sellers. ..Unless you know where to get some?

@Borgnine Thanks, I had the same thought about the head. Honestly, I think that's where that project started! There's another one, which is on the Mordheim / Nosferatu vamp converted from the Mortis Engine corpse master. The flagellant kit just has so many great bits! It's gotta be one of my favourite kits.

The helmets come from a different kit, the demigryphs. I wish I had more, but I liked that helm so much that when I assembled my demis I didn't leave many of those heads behind.

Really nice conversion work my friend! You have some really interesting ideas. Hope to see more soon!
May I ask you how did you make/where did you get that nosferatu mini? It looks really cool!

Thanks, guys!

I get a lot of my ideas from around the web. Many of my conversions are inspired by or attempts to mimic amazing artists around the web.

I saw the vampire among Nordic Dragon's amazing Mordheim conversions here:
http://nordic-dragon.deviantart.com/art/Mordheim-Undead-Warband-590159622

Another amazing artist whose work and tone I admire for Morheim/9th Heim is Ex Profundis (Jake):
http://www.exprofundis.com/throne-of-bones/

I highly recommend checking them both out, especially if you are as in to Morheim or 9th Heim as I am.:thumbsup:

Last edited: