• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

So my Mordheim warband is ridiculous.

Tomfoolery

Grave Guard
We got a few games of Mordheim going to get more of the guys to play on a single night.

Undead are stupid good.

The Vampire by himself is a match for just about an entire gaggle of Middenheimers. The Necro sucks, no way around it. I got him to earn me more gold and that's it.

Dire Wolves are stupid fast.
Ghouls being 2A and having T4 are the best Henchmen in the game bare naked (they can never get equipment).

I tabled a Skaven player and a Middenheimer player for my two games combining for 9 Hero kills, a Rat Ogre and the elimination of almost 50% of their warbands within the first round of combat.. it's retarded.

Here is my list.

1x Vampire. Sword, Sword, Heavy Armor, Helmet.
1x Necro.
4x Ghouls
2x Dire Wolf
1x Zombie

It's really bad. I can't call this game balanced at all. The Skaven are fast as hell but all I need is the dog to get within an inch of them and tie them into H2H and the Vamp follows on the next turn.... it's sick.

Is anyone else still playing Mordheim here? I should do batreps for the Invocation.......

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Yup, playing every Sunday actually. We have; Witch Hunters, Dwarves, Middenheim and Dark Elves. We only played official warbands for a while but started experimenting with the fan made lists out there and adjusted them ourselves to create balance.
A high Initiative and speed pretty much rules most of this game but mainly due to the scenarios. This is the reason we also write our own scenarios that favor no single Warband.

When I played Undead my biggest gripe was with how slow my henchman were and an enemy Warband had already plundered all the treasure before I even got there. Only my vamp and wolves would speed forward...killing as much as they could and hoping they would fail their LD test and go poof.
In combat Undead are certainly top tier in the official lists IMO.

My best advice to new players is to max out heroes and bodies(grab all the henchmen you can) in the first buy, equipment and such will come later. You definitely want to max out on heroes first as they give you that extra when rolling on the exploration chart. More bodies is always good obviously.

I run a Mordheim campaign every year on my Birthday, we're planning to do another in the Summer as well.
I've only played Undead so far, but I'm working on a cult of the Possesed and Witch Hunters warbands.

We normally use unofficial warbands, so while mine is always one of the best, it's usually beaten to first place by something like the Tomb Kings.

Mordheim is now my favourite GW game, most of my mates share my sentiments as well!

Tomfoolery

Grave Guard
True on all points gentlemen. I don't think anything @ M4 is slow though. It's being outrun by Skaven and Elves sure but that's about it really. Most of the warbands are human (official) and it is a match for all of them.

Dwarves...... not so much. Dwarves REALLY need some kind of take and hold scenario. M3 is probably the worst handicap you can have in this game.

edit - So my Necro rolled a 6 for his spell and between 9 dead Heros I am assuming at least one is going to die. Let's hope I roll good enough to raise some really sweet Zombies!

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
When my friends I originally played Warhammer with were still all in the same town, we use to regularly play Mordheim; Although that has since seen it's close, due to living about a few different states.

But yeah, Vamps are always a little gross, although their troops aren't exactly trying to help them keep up with things, especially since half of them can't even gain XP.

Certainly a fun variant though, and fairly quick, and allows for fairly unique models depending on how things go :pumpkin:

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I actually named all zombies; shuffles, limpy, gnasher etc. don't do it. You grow attached to the little buggers.

I really love my repeater x-bows but ye gods that S3 against Dwarves and Flagellants...le sigh.
My rating is 138 at the moment so I'm 2nd best rating wise.
Pretty good but one of my Nobles suffered a legwound and is now -1 M, ARGH!

Tomfoolery

Grave Guard
My original Orc warband was the mutts nutts years ago. You didn't want to be anywhere near the Boss. Then he gets hit with a pegleg ... -1M.. .then he got it again... -1 again. So now he is moving around the table being outran by Dwarves, it was horrible.

skaven were the most op, slings were broken in that game (I played skaven), these more fan updated rulesets around that fix and balance though, think most people play one called coreheim or something don't they ?

Tomfoolery

Grave Guard
pinball said:
skaven were the most op, slings were broken in that game (I played skaven), these more fan updated rulesets around that fix and balance though, think most people play one called coreheim or something don't they ?
Skaven are otb the best warband for the points. Movement 6 is ridiculous in this game. Cheap heros never hurts either.