• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

brimstone

Zombie
Aug 12, 2012
Greetings.

I've been playing VC for a while in friendly games and campaigns.
I have a few questions, and hopefully someone cares to answer :-)

1) I have two mortis engines. If a unit is within range of both of them does that unit benefit from both of them (5+regen) and does enemy unit suffer from both of them (d6 + d6 hits)?

2) Does a unit of hexwariths that moves through another unit in magic phase (due to the dance or Arkhan's book) get to use Spectral Hunter?
2b) If I cast the dance on the same unit three times - does it get to use Spectral Hunter every time [I use the book, mannfred and a spellcaster]?

3) Does Aura of Dark Majesty and Beguile work on units/models that are Immune to Psychlogy?

4) When using Dark Acolyte do we add D3 before or after dispell attempts?

5) Units with vampiric, ethereal or large special rule can never get more than 1W per casting of invacation. Can the unit then benefit from Lore Attribute?

Thanks for reading and hopefully for answering :-)

GDD

Grave Guard
Jul 30, 2014
1) Yes and yes.

2) Yes but it can only harm one unit per movement. So you could harm the same unit three times if you get off Van Hel's three times.

3) Yes.

4) Before. I believe that is one of the main reasons to pick it?

5) Yes!

If I am wrong then I hope somebody corrects me.

brimstone

Zombie
Aug 12, 2012
1) Thought so!
2) even better :D
3) sweet
4) Would be better if it was after dispell. But ok.
5) HAH! Wasn't allowed they said!! Wrong they were.

GDD

Grave Guard
Jul 30, 2014
About number 4) I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Dark Acolyte makes the spell easier to get off and harder to dispel. It adds d3 to the casting total meaning the opponent needs a higher total to dispel it.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
4) Actually, from the writing in the book you roll to cast the spell, if you succeed the opponent may dispel. If he fails (or chooses not to) the spell is successfully cast and you can add D3 to the casting value. This does nothing.

But there was an FAQ that changed it so that you add the D3 once it is determined the spell reaches the casting value but before dispel. In effect it makes it harder to dispel but not easier to cast. Quite handy still, played against it a few times and it is really annoying.

Got nothing to add on the other questions.

brimstone

Zombie
Aug 12, 2012
That was what made me confused. "...whenever he successfully casts..."
What I meant was that it would be fun if we could first roll 2d6 (lets say 7) add the caster level (+2), then opponent try to dispell (10) and THEN we got to add d3. That way we could really force him to spend DD on IoN.

But if I understand correctly we have to reach the casting value BEFORE adding d3?

New question:

5) If you only play with one VampLord then he MUST be the general and choose Lore of Vampire?
I want to use a lvl 4 with Lore of Death, but the way I interpret the rules the model with the highest ld must be general AND choose LoVamp?

I want to play VC in tourneys. In friendly game we make a lot of 4+ roll if we dont agree on the rules, but in tourney I need to get the rules right. Where are the FAQ from the gw site gone??

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
But if I understand correctly we have to reach the casting value BEFORE adding d3?

Correct.

6) I think you got it correctly. The model with highest Ld must be general and must use LoV. If you want a lvl4 with death you have to have another character with equal or higher Ld to be the general (ex: a vampire lord lvl1 lore of vampire and a master necro lvl4 with death).

However, if you use the rules for Undead Legion (found in End Times book 1: Nagash) you can have any lore you want on your general. You are also free from crumble when the general dies and you can use units from Tomb Kings.

The FAQs can be found here, on Black Library.

LordTobiothan

Crypt Horror
May 6, 2014
Although nothing in the rules actually forces your highest ld model to take lov. That is why you can take a wight king (ld 9) lead by a vampire hero (ld 7), because the wight king is ineligible to be general because he cant cast from lov, the same would apply to a vamp lord you took death on, you choose your general at the start of the game not during list building and at games start he is ineligible to lead a vampire counts army regardless of his leadership.

Although this is the unpopular way to do it as many believe that since you can make him eligible, that you have to even if no rule backs that up. So that will likely be the ruling at the tourny, as it is that way for most tournies.

brimstone

Zombie
Aug 12, 2012
The general MUST be a wizard. A wight king can never be a wizard. A Banshee or Wraith can not be a general because they are not wizards.

So if I bring a vampire and a necromancer I have to choose between them. A VampLord has ld 10. A master necro has ld 9. So I have to choose the VampLord and he has to use LoVamp.
If I use heroes I could choose since they both have ld 7, unless I give the vamphero a BSB upgrade. That way he can not be the general.

I cant find where it is premitted to chose something other than LoVamp, because "if he (the general) is able to choose spell lore he MUST choose LoVamp". I get that I can use two lords, but that is rather expensive (and a bit cheesy??)

LordTobiothan

Crypt Horror
May 6, 2014
Except as noted you pick their lore in list building and you pick your general at game start.

So from your list you must pick a wizard, with lore of vampires, with the highest leadership. If nothing in your list fits all the criteria, it is an illegal list. Nothing about that means your highest leadership has to take lov, the general just must be the highest leadership WITH lov.

Most read it the other way, rule book, then army book, but its always army book then rule book. So you check for wizard, then lov, THEN highest leadership among your current candidates.

brimstone

Zombie
Aug 12, 2012
Don't we pick the Lore when we roll for spells?
I understand what you mean. I do not think that is how it was intended (RAW vs RAI :P), and for me it feels wrong...
Perhaps I have to buy ET and start an undead legion.

Thanks for all help and input :-) I really appreciate it :-D

LordTobiothan

Crypt Horror
May 6, 2014
Don't we pick the Lore when we roll for spells?
I understand what you mean. I do not think that is how it was intended (RAW vs RAI :tongue:), and for me it feels wrong...
Perhaps I have to buy ET and start an undead legion.

Thanks for all help and input :) I really appreciate it :-D

Yeah, many feel it is not rai, including most tournaments. I just didn't want the ruling ingrained in your head as raw, most (myself discluded) play it brb > army book.

And no, you pick lore in list construction, thats why you cannot change lores in between matches at a tourny, since your list is set.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
That is not how I read it RAW. The thing with the wording in the VC book is that it says the general must use LoV (if he can choose a lore), not choose LoV. In other words, when making your army you can pick whatever lore you want on your characters. Then when it is time to select a general you must pick the wizard with the highest Ld. This character is then forced to use LoV regardless of what lore he chose (as long as this character is able to chose a lore, i.e. a character with Wizarding Hat is not affected since he can't choose, which is also clarified in the FAQ). You can take a Vampire lord as your only lore choice and give him lore of Death, but he will still have to use LoV when he is selected as general. This interpretation comes with its own set of complications so not many use it.

As LordTobiothan says the most common way to play it is that the wizard in your army who has the highest Ld (or one of them if tied) must choose the LoV and be the general.

EDIT: Also, a thing to note is that both ETC and SWEcomp (the two most common comp packs used in tournaments) force you select a general in your army list (and not right before each battle), which makes the situation a bit more simple.

brimstone

Zombie
Aug 12, 2012
Had a fun game last night. I used a coven throne and that was a beauty. However we had a discussion concering the bound spell.
If I choose to reroll to wound that includes the impact hits also?

I tabled skavens in turn five (lots of misfire from the rats and great magic phases were the main reason).

GDD

Grave Guard
Jul 30, 2014
It reads "the coven throne and all it's constituent parts, including it's crew...etc" So yes in this case I guess it actually does! I've never noticed that.

Edit: Also cool to hear success stories for people using the throne. I guess it mostly survived due to bad luck on the skavens part :P

brimstone

Zombie
Aug 12, 2012
As I said - MISFIRE! His rattling gun blew up the first time he used it, and the cannon was delt with by a pack of bats.

brimstone

Zombie
Aug 12, 2012
New question

6) If I challenge a model with flaming with my crypt horror champion and the champion suffers a flaming wound does the entire unit lose regen?

If my unit of zombies(or skellies or whatever infantry)+necro is within reach of a mortis engine (gaining 6+ regen) and the character is wounded by a flaming weapon will the rest of the unit still be granted regen?

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
If a unit is wounded by a flaming attack it looses the benefit of regeneration for the reminder of the phase. That is the essence of the rule. Characters are part of the unit they join. This means that a character loses regen if his unit is wounded by flaming attacks and that the unit loses regen if the character is wounded by flaming attacks. The same also applies to champions.

So basically:
6a) Yes
6b) No

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu