• Got some models to paint? Want to do it as a challenge in a group who help and encourage each other? Join our Tale of Painters - Third Edition. Any models, any army!

Soulblight Gravelords Story: Innocence Reborn - Chapter 1

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
The warmth of the sun bathed her pale skin, and as always, she was bemused at how this was the place that was apparently ideal for them to spend eternity. Not that she believed the sun was real, nor anything of the idyllic countryside that they walked upon. Once upon a time, she would have wanted to know, to investigate, and be satisfied with the knowledge. But for the moment, and the thousands of moments that had passed since she had arrived here, she was satisfied with her lot.

"Pfennig for your thoughts?"

Smiling she turned and grasped the hand of the man behind her, pale like hers, calloused from many years of swordwork, one of the odd things that never truly healed on them. His hair was dark and wavy, pulled back roughly from his face. His eyes as always immediately drew her attention, a contrast of darkness that somehow shone with inner mirth and intelligence.

"Nothing really, I was jus-"

She stopped as she saw his expression change. In a second it had changed to confusion before slowly morphing into a growing look of horror. Although time did not really exist in this place, it felt to them that hundreds if not thousands of years had passed, and in all that time she had never had to see that look again. Until now. Age-old memories from the life she had flickered in the back of her mind, dragged up by the look in front of her.

A flicker of light....no, he flickered and awareness dawned on what was happening. No!....NO! They were finally happy, blissfully so. Surely they were long forgotten about. But it was rapidly becoming apparent that a potent summoning was taking place, and the power behind it had a familiar signature. Like a smell but not, and one only those versed in the magical arts could sense.

Now the memories came crashing back like a hammer blow. Battles fought, so many losses and seemingly the impossible achieved. He no longer existed, she had made sure of that. Yet there was no one else that had that particular cloying stench of death mixed with unadulterated power, although in the back of her mind the cold analytical part picked up a subtle difference for future reflection.

All of this snapped through her mind instantaneously, mouth opening in counter-spell but it had been too long since she had needed to use those skills, if it was even possible in this place. She grasped his hand in a grip that could ruin granite, holding on with every fibre of her being even whilst she knew it would be futile.

Then he was gone. Simply gone.

The fake sun still shone. The fake grass still wafted in the fake breeze. There wasn't even the courtesy of a lingering aroma of the spell, it was simply as if he had never existed. But she knew he had, and she knew who had taken him.

Last edited:

TMS

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Oh I bet it's Nagash up to no good again. He loves to pull pranks!

Isn't it usually "pfennig", though?

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Oh I bet it's Nagash up to no good again. He loves to pull pranks!

Isn't it usually "pfennig", though?
I thought pennfeig looked a bit odd! I'll correct it :D

As for it being Nagash....isn't it always Nagash? xD