• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
The warmth of the sun bathed her pale skin, and as always, she was bemused at how this was the place that was apparently ideal for them to spend eternity. Not that she believed the sun was real, nor anything of the idyllic countryside that they walked upon. Once upon a time, she would have wanted to know, to investigate, and be satisfied with the knowledge. But for the moment, and the thousands of moments that had passed since she had arrived here, she was satisfied with her lot.

"Pfennig for your thoughts?"

Smiling she turned and grasped the hand of the man behind her, pale like hers, calloused from many years of swordwork, one of the odd things that never truly healed on them. His hair was dark and wavy, pulled back roughly from his face. His eyes as always immediately drew her attention, a contrast of darkness that somehow shone with inner mirth and intelligence.

"Nothing really, I was jus-"

She stopped as she saw his expression change. In a second it had changed to confusion before slowly morphing into a growing look of horror. Although time did not really exist in this place, it felt to them that hundreds if not thousands of years had passed, and in all that time she had never had to see that look again. Until now. Age-old memories from the life she had flickered in the back of her mind, dragged up by the look in front of her.

A flicker of light....no, he flickered and awareness dawned on what was happening. No!....NO! They were finally happy, blissfully so. Surely they were long forgotten about. But it was rapidly becoming apparent that a potent summoning was taking place, and the power behind it had a familiar signature. Like a smell but not, and one only those versed in the magical arts could sense.

Now the memories came crashing back like a hammer blow. Battles fought, so many losses and seemingly the impossible achieved. He no longer existed, she had made sure of that. Yet there was no one else that had that particular cloying stench of death mixed with unadulterated power, although in the back of her mind the cold analytical part picked up a subtle difference for future reflection.

All of this snapped through her mind instantaneously, mouth opening in counter-spell but it had been too long since she had needed to use those skills, if it was even possible in this place. She grasped his hand in a grip that could ruin granite, holding on with every fibre of her being even whilst she knew it would be futile.

Then he was gone. Simply gone.

The fake sun still shone. The fake grass still wafted in the fake breeze. There wasn't even the courtesy of a lingering aroma of the spell, it was simply as if he had never existed. But she knew he had, and she knew who had taken him.

Last edited:

TMS

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Oh I bet it's Nagash up to no good again. He loves to pull pranks!

Isn't it usually "pfennig", though?

• Haha
Reactions: Kassill

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
"Finally she wakes."

The voice was disturbingly familiar, female, commanding, with an irritated overtone. The familiarity was an annoyance, as she couldn't place who it was, yet she felt she should instantly know who it was.

"Hush," another voice cut in, "it took you much longer to come around." Another female, another twinge of familiarity. So very like the first with some subtle differences.

Slowly she opened her eyes, taking her time as she sat up. Not just because her head was swimming, but as always first impressions always mattered. She would not wake in a strange place and act like a scared little girl. The thought almost made he smile, it had been so long since she had been a girl, even if her body did not look that much older.

Before she could take in her surroundings, something else grabbed her attention. It flowed through her and though it had been so long since she had tasted it, she grasped it intuitively. Magic. Now that was interesting, that meant she was back in the mortal world or something similar.

"I wouldn't hold too much of it to start with," a robed figure in front said, perhaps the one who had told the other to hush, "you might remember how, but your body needs to re-adjust."

So, they could sense her grasp of the forces around them, likely other wielders of the arcane then. There were more of them than she expected, all wearing dark red robes with cowls that hid their faces. From some sleeves, pale hands could be seen, all slight and feminine, although there differences here and there. Some had jewellery, some had obvious scars, some even fingers missing.

They were in a large hall with a high ceiling, and she had sat up from a low chaise that sat at the centre of what appeared to be a magical ritual. The usual trappings surrounded her, markings on the floor, a variety of objects at different points including what looked like bones and something that glimmered like warpstone. Moments passed before she decided to focus her gaze on the robed figure who had spoken, fixing her with a stare that had once upon a time made kings quake.

"Ah, so you're one of them then," the robed figure chuckled, seemingly unbothered by the nail hard look being directed at her, "and no doubt you're not deeming yourself to asking where you are, but simply expecting us to answer. Well, I'll answer all your questions in return for you answering just one of mine." At this, the atmosphere in the room seemed to intensify, as if the various spectators were suddenly paying much more attention.

"Did you destroy the Great Necromancer?"

A moment's consideration as to the value of this information before a simple one-word response.

"Yes."

The room took on an immediate charge of excitement, with the attendants reacting in different ways. Some whooped, some slide down as if they could finally rest. The majority still stood stoically, muttering to their neighbour or nodding as if in agreement.

"Finally, we've found you!" exclaimed the now delighted voice of the lead figure, "you don't know how long we've been searching. How many of you, us, have been through this. So you are truly Mistress L-"

"Do not utter that name," she snapped, "I was once known as that, and I do not ever wish to hear that name again. For the time being, you may simply refer to me as the Mistress. Now, I have answered your question, you will tell me who you are, how I came to be here, and for what reason."

Silence filled the room, turned heads indicating glances before they all looked forward at what was presumably their leader.

"All those questions are complex and to an extent one and the same. Before I explain, I must warn you not to react immediately but listen, for what we have to say affects all of us, including you." The Mistress glared at the lack of immediate answer, nodding curtly and gesturing for them to continue.

"Who are we? Well, it is easier to show." In an easy movement the hood was lowered, followed by all of them, and finally, the Mistress reacted, stepping back, eyes widening as she saw who surrounded her. All were female. At the least they were pretty, many beautiful, some unnaturally so as the vampiric curse clearly filled their veins. Their skin ranged from a rough tan worked under a hot sun to deathly pale that moved only in the night. Their eyes though, eyes were so similar it was hard to see where they were different. They were all the same woman, just different by what looked to be their lot in life, the hardships they might have faced, or the experiences they may have acquired.

"To put it simply, we are all you."

Last edited:
Reactions: Unas the slayer

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks, although I just noted and correct a bucketload of spelling and grammar errors! I've got the next few bits mentally written up, just need to type them! 😅

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Illusions? Some kind of transmutation? Whatever it was, it was clearly some kind of trickery. The air around the Mistress took on a cracking chill as amethyst magic was rapidly drawn in, a spirling dark mist wrapping around her form as she prepared to disincorporate. However, as quickly as the spell was cast it was torn apart by a multitude of alert practitioners who clearly had their own significant experience.

"I am sorry, but we cannot allow that until you understand the situation." Though the words were apologetic, the tone was absolute. The leader still stood unfazed, matching the Mistresses gaze calmy.

"Allow? I ask for no-one's allowance," hissed the Mistress, seemingly focusing her anger onto the one figure opposing her, even as he senses subtly snaked forth, attempting to sense the brevity of the opponents she faced. The chuckle to her challenge was only more infuriating.

"None of us do my dear," the leader said with a wry smile before sitting down on a chair behind, "and trust me when I say I know what is going through your mind right now. How you're contemplating your options. Can you deceive us? Misdirect us? Magically overpower us? From what I've heard of you, the latter might have worked on if there was only a handful, but even your power cannot overcome all of us."

Suddenly shifting forward, the informal friendliness seemed to drain from the leader as a look of granite overtook her features,

"But in this place, you are in my house. I am Queen Eliestria, and I will be obeyed. I swear there is no trickery or attempt to harm you. All I ask for the moment is that you sit, and listen. Nothing more."

There were many things that came with age and experience. Senses and gut instincts that many ignored on a day to day, until one got old enough to realise just how much they should really listen to them. For one who did not age, those senses spoke loudly, and at this moment they shouted that the Mistress should sit down and shut up.

"Good." Eliestria snapped her fingers and in a blink an unseen attendant was at her side, "bring sustenance for the Mistress. Young and..." an arched eyebrow and moments consideration "....female." The Mistress flared her nostrils in irritation, these parlour tricks of insight into her mind and taste were rubbing on her last nerve.

"Yes, yes, I know. Get on with it. I can practically hear you grinding your teeth," Eliestria drawled, "ok, then listen carefully for it is a complex topic. Now, it will be easier if you know of the Fae's Wing theory?"

"If it is the same as the Sprites Flight theory, then of course," the Mistress answered after a moment, "that the passage of even a small creature, and the changes it makes causes ripples the ever grow, causing actions and decisions to branch off in unexpected directions. That despite what most would believe, we do not have a linear fate set by the gods, but the chaotic freedom of choice and the consequences it brings are innumerable.

Eliestria nodded, relaxing into her chair. At this many of the other attendants followed suit, although a notably muscular and hard-eyed beauty remained standing, glaring with undisguised hate at their captive.

"Excellent. A succinct description of a complex idea. One that was just the start of a wider thing, and yet vastly overestimated it. We all imagine our world, our gods, all that we know is all there is. There may be more knowledge, things we do not know there in the world we know. But we do not consider there are things we do not know to the outside of our world. Duplicates, copies, instances, whatever you will. Other versions of our worlds, the same but different. The same gods, but different. The same us but different.

Eliestria gestured to a finely dressed noblewoman seated further back,

"Elizabet, sired of the line of Neferata as were you. But unlike you, she lost her loved one to a witch-hunter and eventually joined the Sisterhood. She has managed to make herself the Emperor's bride." Another one was picked, one who's beautiful face was hard to make out beneath the dirt and struggled hair.

"Betan. Her path mirrored yours so closely. But there was that point where you were captured, being tortured for the location of Nagash's claw. You and Milosh survived. Her mind did not. It took us a long time for us to get through to this one."

The mention of his name was like silver thrust into her gut. She could not hide the grimace that fleetingly stole over her face, but if Eliestria saw it she made no mention.

"I, well, let us say I decided the Silver Pinnacle needed a better Queen. The point is, that we are not actual copies. We are truly ourselves in worlds where life experiences and decisions took a different turn. But, and this is an important point, the theory over assumes. It is vanity to think that every little decision always has such drastic effects. Not every little action matters. Many fae or sprites never truly have an effect on the world around them. So there are not infinite worlds with infinite variations. In actuality, there are many many less, for what appears to be a possible outcome requires such an astronomical chance it never comes to pass.

Leaning forward Eliestria touched her fingertips together as she looked intently at the still listening Mistress.

"Each of these worlds has some base elements that are always present. The gods, maybe by different names for example. The gods of chaos, well that needs more discussion as those four seem to somehow live across all the worlds, instead of having different versions. Then there is Him. The Great Necromancer. He is one who exists in all worlds as the gods do, a plague of death in many. But, despite all the forces that would destroy the liche, that are arrayed against Him, only one world ever managed to completely destroy him so completely, he was beyond resurrection. Your world. You. The Vampire Council."

TMS

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Good to see the continuation of Lesa's story from the old world to the mortal realms, and a nice callback to TVC 👍

The only thing I picked up on was the "ok" in the middle of this sentence...

"Yes, yes, I know. Get on with it. I can practically hear you grinding your teeth," Eliestria drawled, "ok, then listen carefully for it is a complex topic. Now, it will be easier if you know of the Fae's Wing theory?"

Dunno about you but such informal speak seems out of place for our typical ancient aristocrats. You might have different ideas, of course.

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
I always have time for my fellow lords of the night.

More seriously, I've been writing a lot and may have some things to post up at some point...

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Please do! The story and background section of CN has always been one of my favourites, so I'm very keen to see it brought back to life again

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
"You realise how ridiculous this all sounds?" the Mistress yawned, affecting a bored tone, "I can already think of half a dozen holes and questions in your story, not the least-"

"I've had enough of this," came a guttural snarl as another....well another one of presumably herself...stood sharply from her seat, lank hair shifting backwards to reveal partially ruined necrotic face that contrasted with the beauty of the other side, "we've gone through this dozens of times, every time we find a new one! I'm not going through this again!!" She stalked forward and planted herself in from of the mistress, one startlingly green eye glaring down whilst the other milky orb stared blindly.

"Ridiculous?!" she spat, "Does this look ridiculous to you? It will never heal, He made sure of that."

"He?" mocked the Mistress, "are you too scared to say his name? To say Nag-"

The slap sounded like a whipcrack, catching the Mistress fully across her face and sending her flying sideways.

"DO NOT UTTER HIS NAME!!"

If she heard, the Mistress didn't respond as she rose to her feet, face contorted in incandescent rage. This time the pull of magic to her was not subtle, but raw and primal, powered by the anger that now surged through her veins. Pulses of energy sent ripples of shockwaves outwards before a blinding flash seared the sensitive skin of the massed undead, eliciting agonised screams. Confidence in being able to control their prisoner turned to consternation. A vampire should not be able to harness the power of the light, it was anathema to their kind and yet here it was burning through their bodies like molten steel. As soon as one managed to utter a counter-spell, the Mistress effortlessly reworked her spell, adapting, splitting and putting forth a stream of power that was terrifying in its capacity.

"Stop it or you die now"

The voice was hissed in the Mistress's ear, matched by a pricking in her chest. A glance down confirmed a silvered stake was moments away from piercing her heart, held steady and true in a very human hand. There was a slight blur as the Mistress shifted, using the speed her bloodline was famed for, shifting to one side and crushing the bones of the offending hand into dust. Or at least that was her intent. Her speed was effortlessly matched, and if anything it seemed her opponent was stronger, hand holding firm and pushing the stake in an extra sliver.

The distraction was more than enough for the rest to finally shut down the Mistress's spell, although many stood smoking and blackened for the scorching effects.

"This is Dushku," spoke Queen Eliestria who had faced the Mistress's spell full-on with apparently minimal concern. Glancing to one side the Mistress saw the muscled one who had glared at her earlier, "in her world, a famed and extremely successful vampire hunter. One of the very few of us who were not turned to darkness, although there are certainly some abilities which are...questionable...for a human at least."

The Mistress matched glares with Dushku who after a moment reluctantly stepped back but remaining close, the threat clear and present.

"Twice now. You will not survive if you attempt a third."

"Am I not permitted to defend myself?" snapped the Mistress back, "or is this your normal treatment of prisoners, allowing clearly deranged madwomen to scream in their face and assault them?"

"Misleranda is not deranged or a madwoman," Eliestria replied coolly, once again relaxing back into her seat, "in fact, out of all of us it is amazing she is as sane as she is. Misleranda's face is a result of many years of torment, much of it at the direct hands of the Great Necromancer. It is also her world why we are here, why we have been searching for you."

"Because I, we, destroyed him before?"

"Because if you don't do it again, we're all dead," came the soul dead tones of Misleranda, "None of us are supposed to know of the existence of the different realms and worlds. But in my world He found out. It was by accident after the ratmen once again ruined one of his spells. But the result of this interference caused some kind of implosion, a nadir of immense dark magic that not even he could control or consume. Deeping within this nadir, where only He had the strength to see, the fabric between our worlds ripped and He saw. He saw, and realised there was so much more that just the mortal realms in which he inhabited."

A heavy silence seemed to smother any sound in the room as Misleranda continued, eyes staring into nothing now,

"Our worlds are so different to many of yours. Your world seems to be the long-distance past of mine, perhaps time is different, perhaps they connect at different points. But none of that really matters. He, and only He, knows about this and he has already put his plan in action. His foes at the moment think him reduced to a weak spirit, broken and weak after recent battles. But it's all a ploy to ensure no one notes his absence whilst he sets his mind on other bigger goals."

Misleranda finally focused back on the Mistress, her eye like a lead ball devoid of any potential happiness or joy,

"I believe He intends to consume the other versions of himself, an avatar of Shyish with power multiplied beyond anything we have ever experienced."

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
I can definitely see how terrifying it would be for Nagash to find out other worlds exist. I'm surprised some vampires can control light magic now, but I haven't been following Age of Sigmar too closely. I prefer the previous setting.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
"Because if you don't do it again, we're all dead," came the soul dead tones of Misleranda, "None of us are supposed to know of the existence of the different realms and worlds. But in my world He found out. It was by accident after the ratmen once again ruined one of his spells. But the result of this interference caused some kind of implosion, a nadir of immense dark magic that not even he could control or consume. Deeping within this nadir, where only He had the strength to see, the fabric between our worlds ripped and He saw. He saw, and realised there was so much more that just the mortal realms in which he inhabited."

ohhh, a reference to the Necroquake in Malign Sorcery?
Really nice how you are going to mix the Old World and AoS.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I can definitely see how terrifying it would be for Nagash to find out other worlds exist. I'm surprised some vampires can control light magic now, but I haven't been following Age of Sigmar too closely. I prefer the previous setting.
They can't normally - it was a unique quirk in the character. A bit of background for those unaware:

The Mistress is Mistress Lesa (although she no longer will be called that) and she was one of my main characters in The Vampire Council roleplay we ran her for about 3-4 years (50 odd chapters, loads of supplemental, you can see it as a subforum in the RP section). A Lahmian who had heavily focused on magic, over the course of the RP she would gain immense magical power due to various incidents (one being Skaven brainwashing her and infusing her with warpstone to use her as a weapon).

She, combined with various other vampires (hence The Vampire Council) realised Nagash was being resurrected and really did not like the idea of him being at full strength, so the story was how they eventually stopped him.

ohhh, a reference to the Necroquake in Malign Sorcery?
Really nice how you are going to mix the Old World and AoS.
Yep 😁 Thanks very much, I'm trying to find a way I can explore and write her story, combining the events of TVC as a parallel world, different versions of the Old World as well of the Age of Sigmar setting. I'm hoping I'm not making it too complex or hard to follow!

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
I recognised her as Lesa, and I enjoyed reading the Vampire Council ( a shame the second never took off). There was just so much I must have skipped the part where she got Skaven-brainwashed and everything.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu