• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Soulblight tactics in AoS 2

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Hello everyone!

With the new edition of AoS being released I've committed myself to playing a Soulblight army in an escalation league, starting at 500 points. Now, the view on Soulblight, which I probably do agree with, is that it's been largely exceeded by the new Legions of Nagash in the latest book, and while Soulblight is still there as its own faction to command it does lose out a lot on different bonuses and summoning mechanics that the legions get. However, with the swift death bloodline giving us access to speedy flying Blood Knights I think there's still value to be found in Soulblight, and definitely some entertainment!

Basically, my reasons for going Soulblight instead of Legion are these:

1) I want Blood Knights to be a focus for the army, and the flying ones seem the most interesting to use. The other bloodlines don't give much identity compared to the Legions.
2) I don't want my army to be subordinate to one of the Legions. Fluff-wise, that is.

...and if it turns out to be completely hopeless later on it won't be a big deal to just add some cheap Dire Wolves and surrender to Legion rules instead!

I'm very new to the game and don't have much to say yet but I intend to keep this thread updated with my findings and experiences. If you've got anything helpful to share you're most welcome to! :)

Last edited:

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Sounds pretty interesting MS, I've got hold of the new Corebook and the Legions of Nagash, so getting upto speed myself.

I've got to admit that I missed the part that allowed you to have flying Blood Knights, that sounds like a lot of fun! :vampire3: So much for me to learn!

Look forward to your thoughts and updates

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Thanks, DoN!

I've just come back from an almost month-long trip and have only had time for a few simple practice games against my brother's Stormcast. It's not much to go by yet but Blood Knights being able to move clean over terrain and models is already a standout thing, as expected. With the musician they have a guaranteed 18+ inches straight line attacking distance in most situations, which is a big thing when others are slowed down by terrain. They also hit like a truck and seem a bit overbearing at 500 points, although they probably just need a proper counter to them. I'll have a couple more practice games until the end of next month when there'll be the start of the escalation league, after which we'll progress to 1000 points.

Last edited: