• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Standard Bearers and Magic Standards

Hi guys,

Quick question; if a standard bearer with a magic banner is killed and then re-raised does he keep the banner, or does he lose the magic banner as soon as he's killed?

Sorry if this has been asked before, or is "dumb" question, but I couldn't find it addressed anywhere...

Fodderboy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I had always assumed so. It would be in line with a Carstein Ring wearer keeping their other loot.

The FAQ says that the Carstein Ring is useless if you're on a flyer because the mount comes back with you. To me that would imply that when a standard bearer re-shuffles off their mortal coil, they get to keep their toys when they come back.

I assume that a similar ruling would apply to Kastellans, and their optional magic weapon.

Admittedly, the ring and IoN are entirely seperate issues, but I didn't have anything else to go on off the top of my head.

midean

Vampire Count
True Blood
Read pg# 80 (capturing standards) list the various ways to capture them. But to your question as long as the unit is not completely destroyed and he is re-raised he would keep his magic banner. He just picks it up.

AFAIK if a musician or standard bearer is killed, another model "picks it up" so you just remove a basic model from the back, this differs from the champion, if he dies, he dies (although not for long in a VC army!) so yeah, he'd keep the magic banner.

For the standard bearer to be killed, he'd have to be the last model left except the Champion. That's not what I meant. If the champion is the last model in the unit, the standard bearer is next to be raised, but I wouldn't think the Champion is allowed/capable of "picking up" the standard.

midean

Vampire Count
True Blood
Well, he does though. The banner hasn't gone anywhere. He's raised and picks up the banner as he is the standard bearer.

so the champion becomes the standard bearer? i'd imagine you could pick off the standard bearer with items such as hockland long rifle or such?

That's what I'm finding hard to grasp. How can the Champion be the champion and carry the standard? If the champion is the last model left in the unit, he doesn't gain the benefits of the standard unless there is a seperate standard bearer, so how can he "look after" the magic standard while the Standard Bearer's dead?

I'm probably just being pedantic now (it's a habit, sorry), and I accept that the magic standard is retained but it seems...illogical at best.

midean

Vampire Count
True Blood
Spook290 said:
so the champion becomes the standard bearer? i'd imagine you could pick off the standard bearer with items such as hockland long rifle or such?
No, I didn't say that. The OP asked what happens if the standard bearer is killed what happens to the standard. Here's the scenario. Your unit has been killed down to the champion. You raise into the unit, and bring back the standard bearer and musician and whatever RnF's you get. The standard bearer will pick up the standard and inspire all his dead fellows to do better.....:vampire3:

Reincus

Necromancer
Spook, only the champ can be picked out of the unit. Muscians and standard bearers can't be, as they are just rank and file troops. If they are killed, another in the unit takes up the standard or horn and the unit carries on, so no sniping in hopes of getting rid of the magic standard from the unit.

The only way a unit loses a standard is if they flee (and thus, it's dropped), if they are broken in combat (and thus, dropped and picked up by the enemy unit), or destroyed (either dropped and captured, or just lost if from shooting/magic). That being said, I can't think of any situation outside of midean's where it would be applicable. A unit is reduced to 1 model from combat or shooting, once the unit is raised, another random undead picks up the standard and carries on. There is no reason to believe that the standard is now a non-magical version when it is in fact the same standard they marched to war with.

Spook290 said:
do many people give their BSB flying horror? let him get to where hes needed most
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure this belongs in the teachings of abhorash ;)