• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Starting VCs - Time for the next buy!

Noobafrass

Grave Guard
Hey all! Long time (ok fine, two months) reader, first time poster!

I started this hobby a couple of months ago and have been happily reading all of the discussions on this site. So useful!

I bought all of my miniatures in 1 go when I started after doing some quick research and have been pretty happy with what I chose. Now that I'm about done painting everything (yes! Everything! 10 models to go!) it's time to buy more, and I'd like to do it more piecemeal and casually.

My question is, given my army list (below), what would the next buys you made be?

Here's what I have:

25 Zombies
20 Skeletons
10 Ghouls
10 Wolves
15 Grave Guard
1 Corpse Cart
2 Necromancer
1 Vampire/Vampire Lord

To add some interest, my local hobby store cuts sprues of common units up so that you can buy them in smaller chunks (zombies, skeletons, wolves, and grave guard all come in paks of 5, 10, and the normal box size there)

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
I agree. It's really hard to go wrong with Infantry in 8th edition Warhammer, and Ghouls (while expensive from a points standpoint) are still extremely solid. More Grave Guard will also serve you well.

And if you're feeling a bit tired of all those Rank and File models, maybe go for a Varghulf of a Terrorgheist. Both of those monsters are extremely useful in-game.

Yup, unfortunately the boring answer is the right one; buy more Core.

However, if your opponents/gaming environment are forgiving towards proxies/unit fillers/etc. you can fill out your Core choice that way, and start looking at some of the more fancy stuff.

Crypt Whores are great at any points level.
Mortis Engine can do a lot of things in a lot of different army builds.
Wight King BSBs are always solid.

Noobafrass

Grave Guard
Thanks folks! I admit I was leaning that way, to be honest, but wanted some feedback.

I am, however, somewhat curious as to the why. You read all over that our core isn't the best and to stick to the minimum and this advice on the surface seems at odds with that. My best guesses are...

-Our core infantry is fairly week, sure, but also pretty cheap. It behooves us to make bigger units so that we can have time for several rounds of IoN and more ranks for less unstable-ness.

-Starting with tons of core gives any army a good base from which to expand

On the right track there?

Regardless, the ability to buy in smaller packages will keep things interesting

Noobafrass said:
Thanks folks! I admit I was leaning that way, to be honest, but wanted some feedback.

I am, however, somewhat curious as to the why. You read all over that our core isn't the best and to stick to the minimum and this advice on the surface seems at odds with that. My best guesses are...

-Our core infantry is fairly week, sure, but also pretty cheap. It behooves us to make bigger units so that we can have time for several rounds of IoN and more ranks for less unstable-ness.

-Starting with tons of core gives any army a good base from which to expand

On the right track there?

Regardless, the ability to buy in smaller packages will keep things interesting
Yes sir, core units also give you good and cheap options of infantry blocks. Wheter most of our specials and rare are not regular sized infantry, except for GG and cairn wraiths.

While popular wisdom is to go minimum core (I'm not sure I agree, but I'm pretty n00bish too...), it's best to do so in a way that maximises the usefulness of that core. e.g. 30 skeletons is better than 15 skeletons and 10 ghouls, because both of those units will be massacred. The core units need to be big enough that they can actually make an impact on the game, otherwise they're just free points for your opponent.

I will echo what others have said, you need more core. Having said that, I'm personally not a big fan of having multiple core types (with the exception of wolves).

Ghouls are very effective and you only need 25 for a 1k game. With skeletons you need 40-50 for a 1k game, depending on how you equip them. So, if money and painting/assembly are a consideration...

Once you have 25% core you might look into what type of playstyle you like. Vargheists are very fast and hard hitting, as is the terrorgheist. Hex Wraiths and Spirit Hosts are great for warmachines and MSU hunting. Crypt Horrors and GG are great for slower infantry vs infantry fights.

Without question though, grab some more zombies! Even if you don't pay for them, you cant go wrong with 50 or so zombies on hand. Best of luck.

One thing I forgot to mention in the post above...The new Vampire Counts book has a ton of special that are all effective and unique. I personally prefer to play about 35-45% of my army as special in the new book because they are so varied and effective. To do this, I keep my core to the minimum 25-35%.

Many people make the mistake of buying up a little of this and a little of that, only to find they can't legally play everything. Kind of hard to go wrong with special in this case, as you can easily have 500pts+ in nearly any size game.

Hierax said:
One thing I forgot to mention in the post above...The new Vampire Counts book has a ton of special that are all effective and unique. I personally prefer to play about 35-45% of my army as special in the new book because they are so varied and effective. To do this, I keep my core to the minimum 25-35%.

Many people make the mistake of buying up a little of this and a little of that, only to find they can't legally play everything. Kind of hard to go wrong with special in this case, as you can easily have 500pts+ in nearly any size game.
I find myself in a similar position. I have the points for a 3000 point game yet for some units it would behoove me to take more of each kind of unit and less variety. bumping up the GG to 20 and doubling the core except for the wolves should get you up to a 1500 point game

Until 1500 points core infantry of VC is decent. Above that it gets the role for tarpit (skeletons) or Support (ghouls).

It doesn't meant that they are useless.. but it's useless to spend over 30% of your army on tarpits/support.

Above 1500 points you'll need more than 20 GG to be your anvil. Alternatively you could use 6-9 crypt horrors or 12 black knights for that role.

Noobafrass

Grave Guard
Thanks folks! Great answers for sure.

I definitely don't mind having more models athan I can play, and might actually prefer it. Ive been quite pleased with how enjoyable the hobby portion of this all can be, and have been planning on buying "too many" things anyway for
Singing purposes, as well as choice in army building. I'm quite excited that the consensus seems to be that this infantry will be more than enough to get me t 1500 too!