• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Strigoi Army List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
This thread is to discuss and create an optional army list tailored to Strigoi. Players should be able to use this or the main army list with the Strigoi stat / bloodline changes if they wish, so it needs to be balanced.

Ideally we don't want to create too many new units, just change or limit choices.

Here's what we have thus far from the Strigoi Stat thread:

Cannot take BSB
Any number of Ghoul units may be upgraded to skirmishing for +1ps per model
General may take an entourage (Court of the Ghoul King?) - standard ghoul stats plus +1WS, +1A, +1S - 12pts each?
May not take more Skellie / Zombie units that Ghouls
Dire Wolves & Corpse Carts moved to special
No Blood Dragons or Black Coaches
Varghulfs moved to special

[hr]

Army List

Characters
0-1 Character other than vampire per 2000pts
No BSB

Core:
Ghouls
Skirmisher Ghouls +1pts/model - cannot have more units than standard Ghoul units.
0-1 Court of the Ghoul King (Basic Ghouls stats with the following changes - WS4, S4, 3 attacks 15pts.
Bat Swarms (do not count towards Core requirement)
Fell Bats (do not count towards Core requirement)
Wolves (do not count towards Core requirement)

Special
Varghulfs
Skeletons
Zombies
0-1 Strigany - 6pts per model

Rare
Wraiths
Spirit Hosts
Grave Guard

M 4 / WS 3 / BS 3 / S 3 / T 3 / W 1 / I 3 / A 1 / Ld7

Equipment:
2x Handweapons

Options:
Upgrade to Light Armour - +1pt per model
Upgrade to Bow (in addition to current weapons) - 2pt per model
Upgrade one model to Domnu (champ - has +1A) - +10pts
Upgrade one model to Std - + 10pts
Upgrade one model to musc - +5pts

Special Rules:

Followers of the Dammed
The Strigany have never forgotten their Lords in Death and follow them fanatically, however to this is seen as a betrayal to their fellow men who hunt them down mercilessly
The Strigany have the Stubborn special rule. In addition any Empire, Bretonnian or Kislev armies Hate any Strigany units.

Marcus Von Drac

Vampire Thrall
Lets repeat what I said before: The army list is nice, but Special choices are a bit packed now arent they? I would say yes to moving the corpse cart and the vargulf, but leave the dire wolves in core - just read the fluff for Gashnag - and perhaps move the spirit hosts to rare, and possibly Black knights? That would leave rare as Spirit Hosts, Cairn Wraiths and Black Knights, Special as GG, Fell bats, Corpse cart and Vargulf, and core with Ghouls, Skellies, Zombs, Dire Wolves and Bat swarms. Seems more balanced to me.
It all still makes sense to me.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I think we should entirely remove Blood Knights / Black Coaches / Black Knights / Grave Guard / Corpse Cart / Necromancers. They just don't fit in with the fluff which this list should have.

I think we should have (looking at your suggestions as well Marcus)

Core:
Ghouls
Skirmisher Ghouls +1pts/model
Bat Swarms (do not count towards Core requirement)
Fell Bats (do not count towards Core requirement)
Wolves (do not count towards Core requirement)

Special
Varghulfs
Skeletons
Zombies

Rare
Wraiths
Spirit Hosts

I also think we should look at making up the following units:

Strigany (rare choice?)
Basically an alive unit that can be equipped in a variety of ways

Court of the Ghoul King 0-1 (core choice)
Ghouls with: WS4, S4, 3 attacks 15pts per model?

Marcus Von Drac

Vampire Thrall
Well for a start I would have the Fell bats take up a core choice. They took up a Special, so its only fair. Actually no scrap that. I would put them back into special, and have that court of the Ghoul King idea in core. My reasoning behind this is that as i said, these lists are ment to individualise the armies, and i see the Carsteins as having the most bats, not the Strigoi. Also yes, some Strigany do sound good.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Ok, I can see what you mean about the bats, so move them to special. Any idea of stats or rules for Strigany?

Evil Clown

Black Knight
They could cause hatered in their enemies, because they are loathed because thay fight for the undead.
I'd only have them cause hatred in certain enemies, like Empire, since I can't see a Goblin or Skaven care why a human would fight, only that he stops doing so :tongue:

I don't recall anything being wrong with the Strigany rules in 6th edition though, why change it?

Greetz :clown:

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Yeah the 6th edition rules would work, but I also like the hatred thing. I think we should have an Empire, Bretonnia or Kislev forces hate them.

Evil Clown

Black Knight
Yeah, sounds fair enough. I think it'd be best to have not too many special rules though - just keep it at that.

Also, aren't Varghulfs a bit too powerful to be moved to special? Every time I play with mine, I find it to be very strong, and to be able to have 3 of them below 2k pts is rather... well, I don't think opponents would appreciate it xD

Just a thought though.

Greetz :clown:

Fodderboy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I think you have to be careful having a special with the Vampire rule. It would make your entire army very skirmishy.

Of course, if you want to take that route, make ghouls ignore movement modifiers for swamps.

Marcus Von Drac

Vampire Thrall
Well, Stigoi are ment to be rather skirmishy (nice word :))
I thihk the Varghulfs in special are Ok. However, could someone please point em in the direction of the Strigany rules. I dont know them and would like to see them before I offerd my opinion.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Personally I think that would be great to have a skirmishy armour, would fit excellent with the Strigoi fluff.

I will post up some strigany rules tomorrow, however they are basically empire.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I agree with the loses of the knights and the coach... though I could see Necro, CCart, and GG.

I'd suggest CCart as special, and 0-1 GG as Rare... the existing list seems a bit thin.

Oracle

Vargheist
A few things, firstly make it so you can't have more skirmishing ghouls than regular gouls (or even core units). Stops any cheese thinking :tongue:

I agree with the loss of the knights, as long as the Vargulf stays in special, otherwise you loose too much hitting power. Oh and put some kind of limit on the numbers of Vargulfs, I don't fancy the idea of 4 of them charging a single unit. Perhaps may not fill more than 3/4 of your special slots with them? Not sure.

However I'm not so sure about the causing hatred. Hatred is a big deal (Just look at Dark Elves, it's the best racial elven rule by far) and if you were to give it to the other army (albeit only some armys) then you would have to look at making the list match that. I know it's wouldn't make them UP as vamps are so OP anyway, but it would just make them weaker than the other lists.

Just my 2c

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I agree about the Skirmisher rules.

As for the Strigany:

Strigany - 6pts per model

M 4 / WS 3 / BS 3 / S 3 / T 3 / W 1 / I 3 / A 1 / Ld7

Equipment:
2x Handweapons

Options:
Upgrade to Light Armour - +1pt per model
Upgrade to Bow - 2pt per model
Upgrade one model to Domnu (champ - has +1A) - +12pts
Upgrade one model to Std - + 12pts
Upgrade one model to musc - +12pts

Special Rules:

Followers of the Dammed
The Strigany have never forgotten their Lords in Death and follow them fanatically, however to this is seen as a betrayal to their fellow men who hunt them down mercilessly
The Strigany have the Stubborn special rule. In addition any Empire, Bretonnian or Kislev armies Hate any Strigany units.

What do we think?

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Musician should cost half of what the Standard and Champion cost.

So, 6/12/12... or maybe 5/10/10 (looking at other units that are around that point cost, I think that 6/12/12 might be too high).

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Yeah i agree with the 5/10/10. I htink the bow should be a replacement for one for one of the HW - what do you all think?

Marcus Von Drac

Vampire Thrall
Well as a replacement sounds good, but in that case shouold it cost +2 pts? Seems a it a bit steep. Either +1, or maybe even free, after all they are loosing the 2xHW.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I'd be inclined to keep it as +2 pts and in addition to 2HWs. You are adding a missile weapon option to an army that generally has NONE. It should be expensive, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.