• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Hey guys! Inspired by Johnny's selfinflicted and masochistic houserules I wondered if any of you would like to give me a similar challenge. Decide on what things I'm not allowed to field and how many points the list should be and I'll see in what ways I can be creative!

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
May 15, 2008
How about making a strong list using as many different units as possible that includes the "subpar" choices we have (bat swarms, cart, coach)?

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Great ideas Johnny and Sen! Since Vargs are not subpar I think that your two suggestions are a bit hard to combine... but screw it, I'll just do both :D

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Johnny's Challenge:

LORD 525 pts
VL: Charmed Shield,Talisman of Preservation, Sword of Strife, QB, RF, Level 4 LoV, Barded Nightmare, Heavy Armor

HEROES 383 pts
Vampire: Level 2 (Shadow), ES, AoDM, Sword of Swift Slaying, Heavy Armour, Barded Nightmare
Vampire: Level 2 (Shadow), DS, DBG, Shield, Heavy Armour, Lance. Barded Nightmare

CORE 630 pts
42 x Crypt Ghouls: Crypt Ghast
5 x 5 DW

SPECIAL 607 pts
4 x Vargheists
3 x Vargheists
10 x Black Knights: Hell Knight, Musician, Standard Bearer, Barding, Banner of Swiftness

RARE 350 pts
Varghulf
Varghulf

Total Army Points: 2495pts

What I liked about Johnny's challenge was that it forced me to think of a concept that I've toyed with some time: a fast VC army. Since all the Vampiric models can march move outside the IP bubble it made sense to build a fast hardhitting list. Notice that I didn't give the Black Knights Lances... this is because I rely on a rather risky but cool gimmick: getting Mindrazor off on that unit. That also means that I tried to give the three vamps riding with the bus as many attacks(instead of high strength) as possible for the points. This whole idea about Razor Vamps in a BK bus is new to me so I don't know if it works. But I thought it would be a cool thing to have in this list.

akiro27

Wight King
Oct 1, 2010
Minnesota
Did you mean to take forbidden lore (shadows) to further handicap yourself, or was that a typo? Nothing like paying points for something you don't need ;)

-aki

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Seneschal's Challenge:

LORD 530 pts
Count Mannfred on foot

HERO 221 pts
Vampire: Level 2(Shadow), DS, AoDM, Sword of Swift Slaying, Heavy Armour

CORE 670 pts
40 x Crypt Ghouls: Crypt Ghast

41 x Skeleton Warriors: FC, Spears, Screaming Banner

SPECIAL 660 pts
Corpse Cart

37 x Grave Guard: FC, GWs, Banner of the Barrows

2 x Bat Swarms

RARE 390 pts
Black Coach
Black Coach

Total Army Points: 2495pts

Okay this army was very fun to make. I had to use all the synergies of the subpar units(as per Sen's request). I really like the Black Coach so I wanted to build around them, it then occured to me that in order to buff them up fast I need Master of the Black Arts, and this is where Count Manny comes in. Also he is loremaster in death. Don't sneeze at that. That brings me to another subpar combo that is quite fun. With Doom and Darkness it makes sense to fear bomb, so I threw in a support Baby vamp, with AoDM, DS and Level 2 Shadow... I can't count on getting mindrazor.. but if I do those Skellies just skyrocketed in effectiveness. If not, oh well Shadow is still a good debuff lore.
The last big combo is having the CC and Bat Swarms between two of my three hordes. That way if the CC gets an augment two hordes will get ASF(preferably the ghouls since they might actually get rerolls out of ASF).

Count Matthewzilla

Vargheist
Sep 14, 2012
AZ
That looks like fun sunny. I'm really liking the new spear skellie shadow lore lists. I also like the Master of the Black Arts combo w/ the coach. I may have to try that in my next campaign match. My lists have the coach due to theme reasons.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
The thought of disappointing JC made me cry in my sleep so I whipped up another go at his challenge:

LORDS
Strigoi Ghoul King, Dragonbane Gem, DS
Master Necromancer, Level 4 Wizard, Lore of Death

CORE
42 x Crypt Ghouls, Crypt Ghast
5 x 5 DW

SPECIAL
6 x Vargheists
6 x Vargheists
6 x Vargheists

RARE
Varghulf
Varghulf
Black Coach

Total Army Points: 2493pts

Okay so looking over the Vampiric units available to me I found that the Black Coach is vampiric, which is awesome! That makes for a total of 6 Vampiric units in this army... that means that while the SGK and Master Necro chills around with the ghouls the rest of their Vampiric minions will be flying, marching or just strut forward killing with impunity. I had trouble finding points for my lords so they are pretty naked. Thoughts?

Fluffytemplar

Skeleton
Nov 28, 2010
I actually just recently went to a tournament with a 2400 list that almost fits both the criteria of the first two challenges. I came in 7th and best in race with what I was planning on just being a fun list to play. And believe me it can move fast!
A quick summary

Master Necromancer
Level 4 vampires, Black periapt, Talisman of preservation

Vampire
Level 2 shadow, Cursed book, Enchanted shield, HA

Necromancer
Scroll

40 Ghouls (vampire's unit)
2x5 Dire wolves
2x30 Zombies (one necro in each)

6 Crypt Horrors
3 Vargheists
Corpse cart w/ balefire
2x1 Spirit hosts

Terrorgheist
2 Varghulfs

The list worked so well I'm changing it slightly and bringing it to my next tournament in Feb.
By the way, if anyone is ever considering bringing 2 Varghulfs, do it! They are amazing if you team them up together! Mine never left each other's side and during 3 games by themselves ate, 18 daemonettes, 4 screamers of tzeentch, 24 tzeentch warriors of chaos, an exalted hero on a chariot, 5 pistoliers, 10 handgunners, and 30 greatswords and their warrior priest. They also rear charged and helped destroy both a swordsmen horde and a bloodletter horde

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Good advice Johnny, I'm not used to running big units of Vargs so I didn't know if less than 6 was viable. I've pumped up the SGK's offensive capabilities and also given the MN some protection. Thoughts?

LORDS
Strigoi Ghoul King, Dragonbane Gem, DS, RF, Sword of Strife
Master Necromancer, Level 4 Wizard, Lore of Death, Talisman of Preservation

CORE
42 x Crypt Ghouls, Crypt Ghast
5 x 5 DW

SPECIAL
5 x Vargheists + Vargoyle
5 x Vargheists
5 x Vargheists

RARE
Varghulf
Varghulf
Black Coach

Total Army Points: 2500pts

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
May 15, 2008
Neat list. You did a good job synergizing things.
My only concern is in keeping Manny "alive." His sword is too good to not want him up front and the extra wounds can make up for the lack of a save (as you'll be healing him soon enough) but I'd be still be wary.
It's also a little short on drops but it can work as long as you try a somewhat refused flank strategy.

I've run Manny in double engine lists and he's been fine. I'm currently contemplating having a WK with nightshroud stand near him in the corner of a horde to see if it's viable and not a waste of points.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Really glad you like it Sen!

Regarding Manny I totally agree, but I thought the synergy was too good to pass up(MotBA for coaches and DnD for fearbombing). I don't know about the sword. I think I would try to keep him out of cc untill there was some not-so-dangerous targets for him to fight... for instance some horde unit who got molested by a Purple Sun and Manny and the Ghouls could move in for the kill.

Also I really agree that Manny is pretty awesome in a Dual Engine List... I think I posted one somewhere a couple of months back. Only played the list once but it really did good even though I lost(because it was blood and glory and some random Rat ogre killed my bsb).

By the way is the MotBA-Coach-Combo mine or has someone beat me to it? Would be awesome to actually have made an original combo(not fieldtested yet so might be crap :D ).

Count Matthewzilla

Vargheist
Sep 14, 2012
AZ
I liked it so much i used it last night with my count manny last night. MotBA works pretty well to guarantee some extra rolls for the coach.

He is nice in a duel ME list. I can't believe I hadn't thought of that.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
May 15, 2008
I don't know if someone has done the MotBA+Coach combo to be honest. It's neat and fun to be sure.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Awesome that you tried my combo - how did it play out? (I'm gonna play tomorrow, but I think that'll be as Brets so I won't be able to try it out myself)

Yeah Sen I also find it neat - dunno if it's effective yet though.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Big Bad Bat's Challenge: (2400 PTs. No vampires. No ghouls. No GG. No TG. No SGK.)

LORDS
Heinrich Kemmler
Master Necromancer: Level 4 Death

HERO
Necromancer: Book of Arkhan, DS, Level 1 LoV

CORE
40 x Skeleton Warriors: FC, Spears, Screaming Banner
45 x Skeleton Warriors: FC, Spears
20 x Zombies: Standard
2 x 5 DW

SPECIAL
10 x Crypt Horrors: Crypt Haunter
12 x Crypt Horrors: Crypt Haunter

RARE
Mortis Engine
Total Army Points: 2396pts

Okay so this army was really hard to make since BBB had taken all my go-to units away :) Since I could only have a Necromancer Lord I settled on Heinrich since I thought I had to use Skeleton Warriors as the main core force in the army. Also he comes with built-in protection in the form of Ethereal(doesn't help against death snipes I know). Being restricted to a butt load of subpar units I tried to find something that was not a crap unit and came across the beloved CH's so they became the main fighting force. Going that route I thought why not back them up with a ME? So I don't think this list is optimzed at all being stuck with a load of bad choices. Thoughts?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu