• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Swordmaster problem

Hey everyone.

I'm new to this forum, so my first post will be about the small pointy-eared buggers my brother keep beating me with. He has this.. Swordmaster deathunit I can't really do anything about. I'd very much appreciate some advices or overall tactics (I suppose the unit could as well be Chosen Khorne Chaos Warriors or something similar unbeatable).

In 1000 points, it consists of 16 Swordmasters with FC, the champion carrying the Amulet of Purifying Flame and the Standard Bearer have the Banner of Arcane Protection. The unit is practically immune to magic (Yes, he has two Mages as well) and everything I've tried on the battlefield have ended up with me being massacred.

In 2000 points, he includes eight more guys and a Prince (Armour of Gods, +3 A Sword. Yay). I can hopefully outmaneouver him in higher points (we're currently playing 1000 pts exclusive) but it still gives me loads of problem.

Sure I can fear them, but I tend to do that.. Never.

Anyways, thanks a lot in advance.

/Angelica

(Very nice forum by the way.)

Well, there are two main tactics that a VC army can employ to deal with said super units.

The first being continually feeding the unit zombies. If you can manage it, get a unit of zombies in combat with the swordmasters and every turn continually raise zombies into the unit. The zombies will never win the combat, but the Swordmasters will be stuck there for the rest of the game unless they get some diverted help.

The second, relying on much the same tactic, is Spirit Hosts. You'll be lucky to get these shady characters across the board when playing the magic-happy Asur, but if you do, they should stick the Swordmasters in combat much the same way the Zombies would.

However, continually raising zombies or hoping that the Spirits don't crumble to combat resolution is often a temporary process. A charge from well placed Black Knights should notch up the kills, hopfully breaking the unit and running it down. Alternatively, keep the unit stuck in combat and have a banshee (or two!) scream at it until she is blue(er) in the face.

(Very nice forum by the way.)
Glad you like it, and I hope I helped! :)

Very helpful of you, it gave me a few more thoughts. I've tried a somewhat diminished version of the plan, when I tried keeping them in combat by throwing 20 Skellies at them, while raising. But back then I only had.. 20 Skeleton models, now I have.. 40-50 Skellies and probably 40-60 Zombies. Hihi. At the moment I'm not planning on buying Spirit Hosts, but after reading some tactics I just have to get some of them ;)

No problem.

Personally, I would probably use the Zombies for this purpose. Easier to raise, and would die just as fast as a Skellie against such a dangerous foe.

Substitute a paper cut-out before you buy some spirit hosts. I don't use them myself, as I see them as a tad expensive for a unit that purely delays - and is destroyed very easily if the enemy knows what to do to deal with them.

Another idea is using a nearby Thrall carrying the Cursed Book to frustrate the High Elves. The Book has really saved my arse against units like this (Asrai Wardancers etc), and is definately worth at least one try.

Richie

Necromancer
just out of curiosity I thought the albion magic items were no longer allowed (armour of the gods I am sue was the 3+ armour save and +1 strength suit)

correct me if I am wrong (too early in the morning to be sure)

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
They're allowed if you let them be.

I'm not sure the other posters quite understand your problem, the Banner of Arcane Protection being the banner that grants MR2 and causes a wound to undead in the Elven magic phase. This means that you'll lose 5 Zombies to the unit straight out plus Spirit Hosts will take 3 wounds, meaning they'll last even less time. Unless you have 4 Wizards and use them all to raise Zombies, you'll probably not be able to keep the Zombies fighting, unless you're using 40 Zombies to begin with- in which case the Swordmasters will earn their points back simply be chopping through the unit.

So you really have two options: avoid the unit like the plague (Which isn't too difficult). Or go for a flank attack. Last tournament I was at I broke a larger unit of Swordmasters after Spirit Hosts charged them in the flank. The problem there is hitting them in the flank. To do this, you may have to offer the unit a tasty morsel, perhaps a unit of Zombies or Skeletons that you "accidentally" move up and wheel a bit too far, offering them a Necromancer to kill on the corner. Perhaps even make it your General- just make sure he has the Cloak of Mist and Shadows, and heal him from the banner's damage!

Other options: Ghouls, if you can get the flank, that's great, if you can't then frontal assault. Direct attacks at Champion, hope for lots of poison. With a bit of luck you could wipe out the entire front row of these puny Elves. If you don't, theyre only Ghouls, and you may put him out of position if he pursues them when they flee.

Also: Banshees are great against units like this. Terror could possibly work as well.

Good luck! Course, by the time you have a great strategy in place, the new army book will be released, and those same Swordmasters will be striking first with two attacks each, for only 2 more points...