• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

T9A, 2400 pts von Karnstein

Without further ado:

• Vampire Count Von Karnstein, Storm Caller, Lvl 2 (Necromancy), shield, Armour of destiny, Axe of Battle, Potion of Strength 420
  • Vampire Courtier Von Karnstein, Hour of the Wolf, Lvl 1 (Necromancy), Skeletal Steed (5+), heavy armour, Blade of Strife, Hardened Shield 225
  • Barrow King BSB, Tullius' Teeth 155
  • Necromancer Lvl 2, Unholy Tome, Cadaver Wagon, Endless Horde 185
  • 40 Skeletons Spears, Command group, Flaming Standard 230
  • 30 Skeletons Command group 160
  • 5 Dire Wolves 40
  • 5 Dire Wolves 40
  • 6 Dire Wolves Champion 56
  • 20 Zombies Banner, musician 75
  • Varkolak Stomp 185
  • 26 Barrow Guard Halberd, Command group, Banner of the Barrow Kings 429
  • Dark Coach Extended chassis 200

Infantry go in the middle, Skeletons and Barrow Guard in the front with Count and BSB, backed up by Necromancer and Cadaver Wagon in the zombies.
The dogs redirect as necessary, the Courtier and the Varkolak clear out flanks. Not sure about the coach, either it will stay to support the infantry, or try and get some kills on flanks to power it up.

Will this kill anything? My characters are pretty expensive, what do you think about the Courtier loadout? I would've loved to get a minimal unit of Barrow Knights, since right now he can only hang out with the dogs to protect him from the first rounds of shooting, but I don't know what I could cut for it? (The Dark Coach is my baby, I can't leave home without it ;))

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Your Barrow Guard unit looks way too expensive for only 26 of them. They should be 327 points, not 429. Are there supposed to be more? You could have 34 instead of 26 and still have 6 points to spare.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
I like it.

The kit on the Count is pretty cool with 7 attacks and Potion of Strength. Should be fun to play.

The Courtier is perhaps not as hot. As you say, without a unit of knights he'd get pretty lonely. I would put him on foot. that gives you more mileage out of Hour of the Wolf since his units gain Swiftstride. For gear I'd focus on protection. Mithril Mail is a good place to start, and then maybe Talisman of Greater Shielding. A halberd should suffice for weapon. Gives you a steady access to S6 attacks. Another thing you should consider, again to get the most out of Hour of the Wolf, is to give him another wizard level, that way you have a chance of getting The Dead Arise on him, meaning you can create unit of Wolves and bats anywhere you'd like. You should also try to fit some Bat Swarms into core. they are quite good and you could raise them bigger.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys. I hope to get my first T9A game in soonish...

@MasterSpark you're absolutely right, don't know where my head was... That does give me 102 pts, just enough for a minimum unit of Barrow Knights with standard. Or maybe better, a few more Barrow Guard and a unit of Great Bats to run with the Courtier.

@Mad 'At The Courtier has a 1+ on his steed, and if I plop him in with the wolves he won't be shot down immediately. I like the idea of him on foot, giving Swiftstride. But the idea was to run him on the flank, as any unit he joins will be able to march outside the generals influence. I know the dogs are easy CR, but I wouldn't run them very wide, maybe 2-3. Hopefully the vampires 7 strength 5 attacks will make a dent in whatever they're facing on the flank, or else I just might charge him out of the unit.
I never tried Bat Swarms, but there is a first time for everything.

I made a few changes:

• Vampire Count Von Karnstein, Storm Caller, Lvl 2 (Necromancy), shield, Armour of destiny, Axe of Battle, Potion of Strength 420
  • Vampire Courtier Von Karnstein, Hour of the Wolf, Lvl 2 (Necromancy), Skeletal Steed (5+), heavy armour, Blade of Strife, Hardened Shield 250
  • Necromancer Lvl 2, Unholy Tome, Cadaver Wagon, Endless Horde 185
  • 35 Skeletons Spears, Command group, Flaming Standard 205
  • 30 Skeletons Command group 160
  • 5 Dire Wolves 40
  • 5 Dire Wolves 40
  • 10 Dire Wolves Champion 80
  • Varkolak Stomp 185
  • 28 Barrow Guard Halberd, Command group, Banner of the Barrow Kings 351
  • 3 Great Bats 54
Added some Great Bats, Barrow Guard and lvl 2 for the Courtier for the extra points, and juggled some core points from skeletons to dogs, for the vampires safety. How does that look?

Last edited:

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@MedMos: The only problem with running him with wolves is that any warmachine can shoot him down freely. Since you have different troop types it doesn't matter how many dogs you have, the opponent can always target the character with templates and can always allocate the first hit of any ranged attack to it. Making use of the marching ability of the vampire is a fine one, but I personally doubt it will be worth it. What you could do is add a unit of skirmishing ghouls for the foot vampire to join. They'd get both swiftstride and the ability to march. Then flock the bats and wolves around them and raise 'till kingdom come. To fit this I'd consider scrapping on unit of skeletons and get the ghouls and the bat swarms. Any left over point could be used to increase the other unit of skeletons.

@Mad 'At Ooooh, I missed that... Must be a hangover from 7th. I see your point now, will have to do some tweaking. I don't really like ghouls though, but I have 12 of them, enough for a skirmishing unit. Shall have to do some thinking and tweaking.
Thanks again!

Edit: Would it be a good idea to dump the Varkolak for some Barrow Knights with the +1M banner, and possibly some more bats, instead? I know I dont get the full use of Hour of the Wolf, but I get a fast, fairly hitty unit.

Last edited:
I did some tweaking. The Courtier now has the option to go with the skeletons with Banner of Speed, for a fairly speedy block (M5, Swiftstride). Alternatively he could go in the center with the rest of them, if there is no call for him to operate independently.
I also gave the necro the staff over the Unholy Tome. I know Dance Macabre is good, but he will be with my centre, invokating, and I like my centre moving together, so thought it was worth it.

Von Karnstein 2400 pts
  • Vampire Courtier Von Karnstein, Hour of the Wolf, Lvl 2 (Necromancy), halberd, Mithril Mail, Charm of Cursed Iron 215
  • Necromancer Lvl 2, Staff of Gerhard the Black 135
  • 40 Skeletons Spears, Command group 210
  • 24 Skeletons Command group, Banner of Speed 155
  • 5 Dire Wolves 40
  • 5 Dire Wolves 40
  • 5 Dire Wolves 40
  • 2 Bat Swarms 40
  • Varkolak 175
  • 28 Barrow Guard Halberd, Command group, Banner of the Barrow Kings 351
  • 3 Great Bats 54
  • Cadaver Wagon Bone Pyre 95
I was considering giving the BSB to the courtier and dropping the Barrow King altogether... Not sure if that is a good idea at all, though.
Also, @Mad 'At suggested putting some skirmishing ghouls in for the courtier to hide in. I went with a slightly less maneuverable but more sturdy skeleton block with Banner of Speed. Would the ghouls be better?
I have a game on friday, so will soon get to try out 9th age vampires! :)

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@MedMos: That looks good :)

I would personally go for skirmishing ghouls, but that skeleton unit could be very useful. With M5, swiftstride and the ability to march is is as you say quite mobile. In addition to that is is also scoring, which could be very handy. With four scoring units in the army you should be quite good at handling the second objectives.

I never reported on how I did with this... I played a game against EoS, and it was very close indeed! My left flank was bats, wolves and Varkolak against cannons, archers and small knight units, middle was infantry and cadaver wagon against two blocks of Halberdiers and all the characters, right flank was Coach and more wolves (and eventually spear skellies) against Gryphon knights and Steam Tank.
Left flank, Varkolak was shot by cannon and finished off by knights, but meanwhile wolves and bats took care of archers and cannons! Eventually the knights caught my chaff, as they were outside generals range.
Right flank, the coach survived the Tank shot and tried for the Gryphons. Was a little unlucky and it got crumbled, but not before the spear skellies showed up and held up the gryphons and the tank for the rest of the game, even grinding down the gryphons by a fair bit.
Middle, my characters and infantry pushed forward, speedy skellies with courtier chewed through one block of Halberdiers, with only the courtier left in the end. General, BSB and Barrow Guard blew through the other block, and wreaked a bit of havoc in the back lines. In the end I charged out with my general and BSB, trying to catch some of his characters that had abandoned ship, but didn't catch anything significant, so ended very close, as I said.

It was my first game of 9th, but 1.2 had just come out, so I used 1.1 (and I think his list was made under 1.1 as well), while we used 1.2 rules and magic paths (except I used the old lore of necromancy...). So a bit of a mess, ruleswise, but a fun game! We didn't think to much about it, just played on.