• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Tale of 25 Gamers Pledge Thread!

When should we start?

• As soon as the poll is over!

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Wait until 8'th edition, I don't wan to paint models I'll never use.

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • I've got a better day to start! (Do tell!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
And this is exactly what the title says. Before everyone gets excited about starting their brushes moving, look at the poll! Make your vote, it'll close out in just over a week and the majority will win on when we start painting.

Now, the rules!

1) You pick your army. It can be from any tabletop game, to any point size. -You- pick what -you- think you can paint in 6 months.

2) You pick how your models will be split up over 6 months. Whatever you think you can do.

3)
If you 'Fall Out' of the competition, I.E don't make your 'Pledge' for the entirety of the competition, you will be fined 50 Zombies. If you don't have 50 Zombies, I'll send Rob your way to enforce a completely arbitrary set of punishments. :devil2: Any Zombies fined from those who fall out will be distributed among the remaining members once the Tale is over, so there's an added incentive to staying in!

4) Enjoy yourself! Painting should not be a chore, and with the community effort we're going to put into this it won't be. Encourage one another! Look at each others Plogs and encourage, give tips and tricks, and show off what you've got.

5) Make a Plog of what you're doing. It can be labeled anything you want as long as we know it's for the Tale of X Gamers. Add it to an existing Plog, or make a new one specifically for this period, however you want to do it. As long as we know where to find your models to gawk at.

6) You -must- make before and after pictures. If you enter this competition, you are required to provide a picture prior to any paint (Minus basecoating/converting) of all the models you're planning to cover. If a model has more than a basecoat on it, it's too much and can't be used in the Tale.

Counting up your points:
If you want to break down your monthly quota by points, I'd recommend that your points be counted by whats represented on the model. HW+S, Specific weapons modeled for 40K, Upgrades for Corpse Carts, Skull Staff, etc. If it's not specifically modeled on the model, then I wouldn't count it.

But, the points are just guidelines. You and You alone decide how much to paint, and what order to paint it in.

-------------------------------------------

Now, onto the Pledges!

Onikaigo: Vampire Counts, Warmachine- Cryx

I pledge -all my current infantry models-. Minus Zombies, because there's someone who's going to paint those for me when I get monies.

~140 models

There, nice and simple.

Annnnd....

The Deathjack + 3 Stalkers

ChaosJedi666: VC

40 Grave Guard (Mantic)
10 Skeletons (Mantic)
Wight King on Foot (Mantic)
Wight BSB (Mantic)
2 Necromancers
1 Corpse Cart

LoTR Range: Dalamyr Fleet Master of Umbar
Bullroarer Took
Orc Captain w/Standard

Jozef: Warmachine Legion models

4x characters
6x incubus
2x big monsters
12x small infantry with swords
3x cav models
8x large cave with spears
2x medium models

IvorTangrean: VC

25 Grave Guard 270pts
60 Skeletons 360pts
1 Necromancer 55pts
1 Vampire Lady 205pts
1 Wight King BSB 100pts

Maybe:
10 Wraiths 500pts
1 Vampire on Hellsteed 120pts
2 Corpse Carts ( plus conversion ) 200pts

Ulrik:
WoC

1 Hero on Chariot
1 Sorceror
25 Warriors of Chaos
5 Knights
1 Spawn

Angel: HE

1 Prince on Dragon
1 Battle Standard Bearer
23 Spearmen
5 White Lions
1 Tiranoc Chariot
5 Ellyrian Reavers

Vekky's Pledge: Lizardmen

36 Saurus Warriors with Spears
15 Temple Guard
Stegadon
Slann Mage-Priest
3 Terradons

Order of the Blood Dragon: VC

Vampire Lord (gonna use +3 A sword, red fury, infinite hatred, ghoulkin, strength potion and some more stuff)
Vampire (gonna use +2 A sword, red fury and some more stuff)
Konrad
60 Ghouls (20, 20, 20)
22 Dire Wolves (6, 6, 5, 5)
8 Blood Knights (4, 4)

Vandurian:
Wood Elves (Subject to change pending 8th Ed.)

Wardancer Highborn
Spellsinger x3 (One is a Brett Damsel)
Branchwraith
Noble
Glade Guard x20
Glade Riders x12 w/Muso x2
Dryads x10
Wardancers x11 w/Muso
Eternal Guard x10
Waywatchers x10

DoN: VC

2 x Banshees (Rackham Models)
56 x Skeletons (36 Undead 4th edition skellies etc & 20 Mantic)
3x Skellie full command (Undead 4th edition skellies / wights models)
1x Corpse Cart (Repainting Ellie the Elephant for those who have seen my plog).
1x Mounted Vamp (5th edition Mounted Blood Dragon - The good one with the lance)
1x Vamp on foot (5th edition Blood Dragon - Counterpart to the cool mounted one)
3x Spirit Hosts (Each base made up of 4 mini wraiths I got off Ebay, no idea who made them)
5x Blood Knights inc full command (GW own)

Witchking 1980 VC

4x spirit host bases(lotd models)
5x blood dragons (full command)
2x corpse carts (1 balefire, 1 loathstone)
2x Varghulf
25x Grave Guard with great weapons (full command)
6x characters

Capt. Rubber Ducky
Chaos space marines

10 Chaos Space Marines, 2x Meltas, MoK, Champ, powerfist
10 Chaos Havocs, 4x metlas, MoS, Champ, P sword, Rhino
9 Khorne Beserkers, Champ, powerfist, Rhino

2 Deamon princes, Wings
Greater deamon
Chaos Lord, Deamon weapon
1 Vampire Lord

Lord of Ravens VC, Nids

10 dire wolves
20 skelly spearmen
1 Vamp

24 Hormagaunts
24 Termagaunts
12 Genestealers
3 Tyranid warriors.

Big D Von Carstein Dwarfs

20 Warriors w/HW and Sheilds + f/comm 20 Warriors w/GW and FC
10 Rangers w/ full comm 10 Quarrellers w/FC
BSB on Oath Stone BSB on foot
12 Miners w/FC + 2 x 4 man unit fillers
1 Organ Gun
2 Cannon
1 Grudge Thrower
1 Flame Cannon
1 Runelord w/Anvil

Nikostratus VC

1 Corpse cart
1 Black coach
1 Orc warboss
1 Giant
3 x Night goblin fanatics
One box of black orks (not sure how many are in it, 16?)

Kalandros Empire

2x Mighty Empires boxes for one huge campaign map - everything still on sprue.

Island of Blood Box Set- High Elf Models
--Possibly 2 Black Coaches

Bishop: Vampire Counts, Witchhunters, Eldar

5 Blood Knights w/FC (if I can find bits to convert a musician)
1 Varghulf
10 Sisters of Battle w/Hvy Flamer, Meltagun, VSS
10 Dire Avengers w/Exarch - Power Weapon & Shimmershield
10 Dire Avengers w/Exarch - 2 Avenger Shuriken Catapults

Uga Bug: VC, Tau (Wut? o.o)

17 Grave Guard; HW & shield.
1 Varghulf
4 Dire wolves
1 Corpse cart
25 zombies Zombie1
20 skeletons; HW & shield
10 ghouls

20 mantic elf spearmen
mantic elf kings court

8 firewarriors
4 gun drones
1 XV8

Goggalor: Space Marines, Orks

20 ork boyz
5 nobz
3 deffcopters
warboss
landraider crusader
SM captain
5 honour guard
10 devastators
10 veterans
20 tactical marines
10 scouts
10 death company
5 sanguinary guard
1 baal predator
1 rhino
10 terminators
5 marine bikers
5 assault marines
dreadnaught

10 skeletons
TheBlackBey: VC

30 Skeletons w/ Command
20 Zombies
10 Dire Wolves
6 Giant Bats
6 Spirit Hosts
20 Grave Guard w/ Command
1 Corpse Cart

Skaramak von Carstein:VC

Malak's Legion of Death (ordered on pre-release)
Malak, Vampire Lord on Pegasus
Revenant King
Necromancer Lord
Female Necromancer
Undead Standard Bearer
Revenant Knights (5 Cavalry Figures with Command Group)
2 x Undead Skeleton Regiment (40 Figures with Command Group)
2 x Undead Revenant Regiment (40 Figures with Command Group)
2 x Undead Ghoul Troops (20 Figures)
2 x Balefire Catapult with Crew
1 x Undead Wraith set (5 Figures)

I will also try to do (bonus wish list):
Undead Warhost
1 x Undead Skeleton Regiment (20 Figures with Command Group)
1 x Undead Revenant Regiment (20 Figures with Command Group)
1 x Undead Ghoul Troops (10 Figures)
1 x Balefire Catapult with Crew

Thanmar Thrask: VC

2x 20 Skeleton Warriors, FC

1x 20 Grave Guard, FC

3 Cairn Wraiths

Reverve; 40 Skeletons with FC, 20 Grave Guard with GW/FC, 2 Support Vampire Thrall

Sanai:Imperial Guard

IG Company Command Squad (Company Commander, Veteran with Medi-pack, Veteran with Vox Caster, Veteran with Regimental Standard, Veteran with Plasma Gun, Officer of the Fleet, 2 Bodyguards (175 pts HQ)(8 Models)

IG Storm Trooper Squad (Storm Trooper Sergeant with Plasma Pistol and Power Weapon, Storm Trooper with Grenade Launcher, 8 Storm troopers with Hellguns, deep strike beacon)(190 pts ELITE)(11 Models)

IG Platoon Command Squad (Platoon Commander, Guardsman with Medi-pack, Guardsman with Platoon Standard, Guardsman with Vox Caster, Guardsman with lasgun)(80 pts Troops)(5 Models)(Leads Rifle Platoon)

IG Infantry Squad (Sergeant with ccw and laspistol, Guardsman with Grenade Launcher, Guardsman with Vox Caster, 7 guardsmen)(60 pts)(10 models)(Rifle Platoon)

IG Infantry Squad (Sergeant with ccw and laspistol, Guardsman with Grenade Launcher, Guardsman with Vox Caster, 7 guardsmen)(60 pts)(10 models)(Rifle Platoon)

IG Special Weapons Squad (3 Guardsmen with Flamers, 3 Guardsmen with lasguns)(50 pts)(6 Models)(Rifle Platoon)

IG Platoon Command Squad (Platoon Commander, Guardsman with Medi-pack, Guardsman with Vox Caster, Heavy Weapons Team with Mortar)(70 pts Troops)(5 Models)(Leads Fire Support Platoon)

IG Infantry Squad (Sergeant with ccw and laspistol, Guardsman with Grenade Launcher, Guardsman with Vox Caster, Guardsman with Missile Launcher, 6 Guardsmen)(75 pts)(10 models)(Fire Support Platoon)

IG Infantry Squad (Sergeant with ccw and laspistol, Guardsman with Grenade Launcher, Guardsman with Vox Caster, Guardsman with Missile Launcher, 6 Guardsmen)(75 pts)(10 models)(Fire Support Platoon)

IG Heavy Weapons Squad (3 Autocannon Teams) (75 pts)(3 Models)(Fire Support Platoon)

IG Veteran Squad (Sergeant with Power Fist, Veteran with Heavy Flamer, 8 Veterans, Demolitions Upgrade) (135 pts Troops)(10 Models)

IG Veteran Squad (Sergeant with Power Weapon and Plasma Pistol, Veteran with Sniper Rifle, Veteran with Missile Launcher, Forward Sentries Upgrade)(120 pts Troops)(10 Models)

Santawraith: VC

Count Mannfred 475
Mannfred the Acoylte 185
Vlad 490
Aristcrate vampire as Isabella 90
10 vampires on foot at 1000 pts
3 Wight king on foot 245
2 mounted wight king's 190pts
5 necromancers at 275
Varghulf 175
Blood Dragon Black Coach 200
Wight king Battle standard bearer with Drakenoff Banner 225
Vampire on Nightmare 108
Wight King Headless horsemen Conversion 95pts
Melkhior on Abbysal terror 390
Blood Dragon on Abbysal terror 340

Heimrich Kemmler Necromancer 55 pts
Vampire on nightmare with banner of blood keep at 183
24 grave guard with musican and standard Banner of the barrows at 318
9 bat swarms (awaiting conversion parts) 225
56 Skeleton’s at 432
2 wraiths 100
15 black knights full cmd 400
7 Vampire on nightmare 756
Necromancer mounted 70
Corpse cart.with balefire 155
Zombie Dragon with Red Duke. 480
---------------------

Total: 2056! models (+114 'if time allows'), and 19 different armies from 4 different gaming systems(Fantasy, 40K, Warmachine, LotR)....
Model count is not taking into account large models or the mighty empires kit.

Edit: Updated the title of the thread to reflect total number of participants.
Holy crap.

If there are any suggestions /complaints about the rules, PM me or post them for all to see in the discussion thread, I'll keep an eye on it. I'm pretty sure I got everything we discussed.....

RE: Take of X Gamers Pledge Thread!

Yay! Don't know how many points it'll be, but atm I have :

40 Grave Guard
2 Necromancers
1 Corpse Cart

I have more, but don't quite know how much I'll be able to get done over the next couple of months, so I'll keep it small and try and paint everything. I'll definitely be able to get these done anywaysxD

Josef

Master Necromancer
True Blood

i like the rules and this is a great idea

i have a ton of hordes stuff to paint for a commission already got 6 models painted but no biggy i got a ton more

no clue what the names are but ill hold off painting till after this starts its a commission for a friend so no big rush plus he only got the models because they where 75% off at my local game store anyways let me know when this starts =)

4x characters
6x incubus
2x big monsters
12x small infantry with swords
3x cav models
8x large cave with spears
2x medium models

I've got a bunch of things to choose from, so I'm just going to peg it at 100 pts/month. I'm a very poor painter so the focus is just to finish, not make them pretty.

As I have a lot going on in my life ( most of my warhammer was packed up in the last week :'( ) I am going to have to pledge small. This might help to keep me motivated through everything.

20 Grave Guard 270pts
40 Skeletons 360pts
1 Necromancer 55pts
1 Vampire Lady 205pts
1 Wight King BSB 100pts

Maybe:
10 Wraiths 500pts
1 Vampire on Hellsteed 120pts
2 Corpse Carts ( plus conversion ) 200pts

edit: screw it go big or go home! I had made a five month painting plan before things started changing and I intend to keep it. My goals work out to about 200pts per month.

I'm still awaiting the arrival of my army painter dip so until then I'm gonna keep my trap shut.

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
RE: Tale of X Gamers Pledge Thread!

Onikaigo said:
If a model has more than a basecoat on it, it's too much and can't be used in the Tale.
Do you mean basecoat or undercoat. A few of my marines have been painted blue, just blue nothing else (don't worry there not ultramarines), would it be alright to use them?

Also are we getting a user project for this because otherwise the plogs could be scattered everywhere. The 40k ones would be in dead space while the VC ones in the dead shall walk and other fantasy armies in another.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood

Yes, we're getting a user project forum to ourselves, so we're not going to be quite so scattered.

I'm going to edit all the official pledges into my first post, so it's easy to go through and eye what other people are pledging. This way the participants don't haveta dig through however many pages this grows into to find out who's doing what. =P

Capt Rubber Ducky said:
Do you mean basecoat or undercoat. A few of my marines have been painted blue, just blue nothing else (don't worry there not ultramarines), would it be alright to use them?
That's good to me. I guess I should clarify that a Basecoat/Undercoat is the same thing. A color you're intending to paint over. If you only have one coat of paint there, it's good.

Probably tomorrow I'll go through and condense the pledges, once more people jump on board. I like the way this Poll is looking, too. We might have an early start!

U

ulrik

Seems like there's a close call between the two options "start when poll is over" and "when 8th is out"...

I for one voted start when 8th is out. We're all in this project to get the motivation to paint miniatures. And I think one of the greatest motivation killers around are the possibility of the new rules making our intended miniatures illegal. Sure, some of you might be eager to start, having lots of motivation right now, but why not paint something else then? No one is stopping you from painting right now, it's just a matter of not painting just those miniatures you enter the project with. And if you really really REALLY must paint that cool miniature you got your eyes on and can't wait until July, then do so, and enter the project with something else. Something you don't feel that exited about painting, and thus could use the motivation boost of the project to get it done.

Nonetheless, these are the Warrior of Chaos models I intend to paint for this project, UNLESS by some reason my army becomes illegal in the 8th edition:
1 Hero on Chariot
1 Sorceror
25 Warriors of Chaos
5 Knights
6 Ogres
1 Spawn

My camera is really lousy, but of course I will make before and after pictures. You'll just have to guess what is shown ;)

I have a small question though: what's a "Plog"?

Oh, and Oni: great rules for the project! Very well written and clarifying. This is going to be great!

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood

Thankee, DoN! I completely forgot we were talking about giving this a User Project subforum in the discussion thread....:redface:

Ah well.

Also, Edited into the rules is a clause; you can change what your Pledge is anytime until the Start Date. Once the Start Date begins, I'll lock the thread and there will be only minimal editing (You'll have to ask very nicely....).

So, feel free to put down 'Tentatives' and 'Maybes' for now. You will all have ample warning to update/Change things if circumstances change.

I'ma add a few Warmachine models in there. Deathjack, anyone? :D

I know that I won't have much time to paint this autumn, so I'll make a modest pledge so that I know that I can finish.

I'm going to paint the following:

HIGH ELVES
1 Prince on Dragon

1 Battle Standard Bearer

23 Spearmen

5 White Lions

1 Tiranoc Chariot

5 Ellyrian Reavers

1072 points

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood

Awesome! I need one of these to get my Lizardmen Army in gear! It has a lot of Infantry and I never seem to get enough time to paint it up!

Here's Vekky's mighty pledge!

36 Saurus Warriors with Spears
15 Temple Guard
Stegadon
Slann Mage-Priest
3 Terradons

There it is. I will no doubt fail in my quest to paint these models, but the fact that I am actually working full time on model painting (oh yes xD) will help me out quite a bit I hope! Maybe an hour or two a day set aside to finishing them will do me a world of good!

I pledge to defend and uphold the constitution of th... what? Oh, right silly me :redface:

My VC will be changed quite a bit by the limitations to lords unfortunately, so I'll need to come up with an effective melee lord without a big mount at some point for 2,000pts (I reckon the new magic items will help)

So what I pledge:
Vampire Lord 'Lee the Lucky' - 205pts (ME)

Vampire BSB 'Viktor Kovach' - 125pts (My TVC dude gets to hold a flag)

Vampire 'Djinn Sulieman' - 100pts (This guy's awesome in Clash of the Titans and I really wanted a wierd looking supernatural horror guy so he fits the bill)

20 Skeleton Warriors 'The Soulless Ones' with Spears, Shields and Full Command - 200pts
20 Skeleton Warriors 'The Soulless Ones' with Spears, Shields and Full Command - 200pts
20 Skeleton Warriors 'The Soulless Ones' with Spears, Shields and Full Command - 200pts (These guys are gonna look like statues that have been reanimated)

10 Dire Wolves 'Tilean War Hounds' with Doom Wolf - 90pts
5 Dire Wolves 'Tilean War Hounds'- 40pts
5 Dire Wolves 'Tilean War Hounds'- 40pts (gonna look like big war dogs, like the ones used by the Britons when the romans turned up)

5 Blood Knights 'The Handmaidens' with Full Command - 325pts (gonna look like the handmaidens as seen in the online warhammer game 'cus I think they look awesome and will fit my fluff when explained later)

Seems somewhat crazy, but some of them'll make sense when I explain the fluff after painting them up.

Ok here I go;

Army: Wood Elves (Subject to change pending 8th Ed.)

Wardancer Highborn
Spellsinger x3 (One is a Brett Damsel)
Branchwraith
Noble
Glade Guard x20
Glade Riders x12 w/Muso x2
Dryads x10
Wardancers x11 w/Muso
Eternal Guard x10
Waywatchers x10

Total Points:1894
Total Models:79:|

Might lower it a bit once I discover my available timeo.o

uga bug

Black Knight

I'm still unsure as to what i'll be aiming to paint.
Ideally I'd like to wait until after the release of 8th ed to give me a better idea!

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood

Army: Chaos space marines

10 Chaos Space Marines, 2x Meltas, MoK, Champ, powerfist, Rhino

2 Deamon princes, Wings
Greater deamon
Chaos Lord, Deamon weapon

I think ill probably leave it as that, only around 1500pts but it does include 4 tanks. I might do 5 terminators but only once I've done that lot.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member

I pledge:

2 x Banshees (Rackham Models)
56 x Skeletons (36 Undead 4th edition skellies etc & 20 Mantic)
3x Skellie full command (Undead 4th edition skellies / wights models)
1x Corpse Cart (Repainting Ellie the Elephant for those who have seen my plog).
1x Mounted Vamp (5th edition Mounted Blood Dragon - The good one with the lance)
1x Vamp on foot (5th edition Blood Dragon - Counterpart to the cool mounted one)
3x Spirit Hosts (Each base made up of 4 mini wraiths I got off Ebay, no idea who made them)
5x Blood Knights inc full command (GW own)

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood

Opening post is updated up to this point. If I made a mistake, let me know!

Also, remember all pledges are open to change until the day we start! (Which looks like it might be 8'th...)

So, there were more people than this who said they were going to do it. Sign up, give me a pledge even if it's just a unit! The worst I'm going to do to people who fall out is steal a soul they've already sold anyways. :ghost:

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood

Opening post updated to this point.

C'mon, people! I know more bodies were interested in signing up! Remember, all pledges are variable until the official start date, which is yet to be decided.

Hmmm, I counted 20 people interested in it, now there's 10 who have pledged...

Begin? (Hmm, we need a "beg" emoticon, xD)

OK, let's begin with...

4x spirit host bases(lotd models)
5x blood dragons (full command)
2x corpse carts (1 balefire, 1 loathstone)
2x Varghulf
25x Grave Guard with great weapons (full command)
6x characters

Nagash bless me to make it happen :suck:

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood

I was missed :(

Well here's my pledge again anyway:

Army: Chaos space marines

10 Chaos Space Marines, 2x Meltas, MoK, Champ, powerfist, Rhino