• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Belladonna Voltaire

Vyrkos Primogen
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Wirral
So, month 2 has come around dear painters and hobby enthusiasts!

For this month my challenge to you is to make a list if you're talking on a new project and share it with the group and to share how you've done your bases this month.

I'll begin on the next model I'm basing:- an icebrow hunter. Odd choice for big waagh I know but because I'm not fully committed to a single destruction army as yet, I'm testing the waters before I commit to an army by the end of this week wherein I'll order the Start Collecting box for that faction. It's pretty much down to Big Waagh or Beastclaw Raiders. I'm trying my hardest to hold out for the book before I make the decision on Warclans at the moment.

What are you working on this month painters?

Jun 26, 2021
Alas, probably no basing this month for me.

I went off the rails last month and built twenty more chainrasps...so this month is almost all about the ghosties:

Assemble:
GW Model of the Month
4 Grimghast Reapers
Reikenor the Grimhailer

Paint:
Taddeus the Purifier
Guardian of Souls
10 Classic Dwarf Thunderers
4 Negavolt Cultists
20 Chainrasps
GW Model of the Month

I've drawn up a rough 1k list for Night Haunt that I want to try and get painted and based by December. A good chunk of the ethereal meat within this month's building and painting. :P

Macarian

Vampire Insomniac
Jan 19, 2014
Enschede
After I did the Necromancer last month, I want to create more vibrant Undead miniatures. As I went out for inspiration I found this cut-out from a White Dwarf:

20210803_200702.jpg

So, my Undead now come from Ghyran 😁 More specifically a place known as the Whispering Forests.

An area of haunting beauty and strange quiet, the Whispering Forests hold a place of both reverence and dread amongst the Mortals who live in the Free Cities that surround it. Since the Age of Myth it has been a place where the dead would be laid to rest, with shrines fashioned to co-exist in harmony with the Nature surrounding them. Though the work to maintain them against the rampant Ghyran growth is laborious the people undertake it gladly. So great is the harmony and strength of the ancient rituals there that Spirits and Souls of the departed often remain bonded there, able to resist the pull of Shyish. Denying the Great Necromancer in this way is not without risk though and He has sought to twist the harmony within the Forests more than once. Only through the sacrifices of a creature known as the White Lady has He been kept at bay over the long aeons and the balance between living, dead and undead been maintained.

To represent the Whispering Forests I made a test base, representing all of the aspects: the rampant growth of Ghyran, the flagstones of the shrines and the skulls of the ancient deceased having become part of the land.
20210803_193922.jpg
20210803_193958.jpg

After getting the basecoat on I'll use some texture paint to fill out the gaps and after painting I'll add some flower beds and leaves to add more vibrancy to them. I'm excited for this direction! 😁

For painting I plan to work on 10 Skeletons based on Sylvaneth Tree-Revenants, I'll also continue here and there on the Cataphractii Terminators and will hopefully finish the squad of five by the end of August!

Happy painting all 😊

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021
As for my progress: i've built all of this month's models thus far. Reikenor will be attached to his horsey partway through painting (Morr's teeth he was horrible to build!)

DSC_0702.jpg
I'm not sure if I should cut the wings off and drill in some magnets for the horse.

Model of the Month was a Grey Knight. Going to try and paint that blue mirror power sword effect. The fellow at my GW was kind enough to let me nab a few extra blades to practice on.

DSC_0704.jpg
DSC_0705.jpg

And i've finished speed painting the Negavolt Cultists.

DSC_0695.jpg
DSC_0697.jpg

Macarian

Vampire Insomniac
Jan 19, 2014
Enschede
Test base is done and I am very pleased with the end result, very vibrant and realm of life 😁
20210810_191715.jpg 20210810_191652.jpg

I am thinking about some ways to improve them:

-Maybe a dark brown rim matches better
-Some glow effect on the skulls' eye sockets to sell the undead theme

Please share your thoughts!

Jun 26, 2021
Test base is done and I am very pleased with the end result, very vibrant and realm of life 😁
View attachment 60942View attachment 60943

I am thinking about some ways to improve them:

-Maybe a dark brown rim matches better
-Some glow effect on the skulls' eye sockets to sell the undead theme

Please share your thoughts!

Bases are looking fantastic thus far! 🙂

I think a dark brown on the rim would definately improve it.
Otherwise, perhaps a subtle element of death in some of the foliage itself? The odd leaf that seems to be dying (flecks of brown or orange maybe) or flower that's turning brown?
You already have the effect of death being below the vibrancy of life with the skulls, so mayhaps some more subtle hints might work?

Reactions: Badbones777

Badbones777

Zombie
Jun 17, 2021
Liverpool
Loving some of the 40k goodness on display - those electropriests are amazing! And the basing for the whispering forests is insanely good - ghyran based Death is always a cool concept.

As for me, well what with the kids being off I've not got perhaps as much done as I'd like so far (hence me pledging just the corpse flayers this month's with anything extra a bonus. Flayers are assembled and ready to paint (the tamiya grey I undercoated them almost perfectly matches gws grey plastic so the jist look glued, but they are undercoated!)

However I'll throw up some pics of some WIP home made Khorne spawn and an objective marker/scatter terrain piece for the Blister skin. The idea with the latter is in their delusion they think they are erecting giant hammer statues for the faithful to leave deposits alms and tithes for the church of Sigmar.
In actual fact if course they are just horrific rusty metallic, vaguely hammer shaped structures they erect all over the place like trees of woe which they garland with viscera, entrails and other "offerings" to Sigmar. And dispose of unbelievers while they're at it of course!

Screenshot_2021-08-11-13-34-07-365_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-11-13-34-11-865_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-11-13-34-16-053_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-11-13-34-02-503_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-11-13-33-55-598_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-11-13-33-50-510_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-11-13-33-46-319_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-11-13-33-33-495_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Macarian

Vampire Insomniac
Jan 19, 2014
Enschede
Amazing stuff everyone! 😊

Bases are looking fantastic thus far! 🙂

I think a dark brown on the rim would definately improve it.
Otherwise, perhaps a subtle element of death in some of the foliage itself? The odd leaf that seems to be dying (flecks of brown or orange maybe) or flower that's turning brown?
You already have the effect of death being below the vibrancy of life with the skulls, so mayhaps some more subtle hints might work?

Thanks for the advice, I repainted the rim brown and it's definitely an improvement. I'll try another base to combine decay and vibrancy, maybe split down the middle for practice 😊

20210811_190337.jpg 20210811_190345.jpg

I also tried the socket glow and I love it, it gives a vampiric touch to the base 😊

I also got inspired by an image on Pinterest of a Masked Ninja so I build another Vampire Lord conversion. this time from the Crimson Court Warband. I love everything about this model barring the feral facial expression and the mask fixes it perfectly for me.

20210811_195036.jpg 20210811_195125.jpg

I'll write some lore up for her later, I love to hear your thoughts! 😁

Jun 26, 2021
Amazing stuff everyone! 😊

Thanks for the advice, I repainted the rim brown and it's definitely an improvement. I'll try another base to combine decay and vibrancy, maybe split down the middle for practice 😊

View attachment 60964View attachment 60965

I also tried the socket glow and I love it, it gives a vampiric touch to the base 😊

I also got inspired by an image on Pinterest of a Masked Ninja so I build another Vampire Lord conversion. this time from the Crimson Court Warband. I love everything about this model barring the feral facial expression and the mask fixes it perfectly for me.

View attachment 60966View attachment 60967

I'll write some lore up for her later, I love to hear your thoughts! 😁
Base looks fantastic! 😄

That masked vampiress reminds me a lot of the villain/anti-heroine Heartbreaker from the Ghost Rider 2099 series. (That was an obscure reference...)
I really like it. 😊

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011
Really nice stuff here!

I'm currently assembling my Sigmarite Mausoleum and a box of Deadwalker Zombies. I'm taking a break from my Slaves to Darkness army to do something more mire-ish and being true to my first love, vampires. But here's the base I finished for my floor-is-lava Daemon Prince.

20210812_090204.jpg

20210812_090243.jpg

Macarian

Vampire Insomniac
Jan 19, 2014
Enschede
Very cool base design Raizi !

That masked vampiress reminds me a lot of the villain/anti-heroine Heartbreaker from the Ghost Rider 2099 series. (That was an obscure reference...)

She does, doesn't she? 😉

Work is continuing apace on the Whisperings Forests, the first 10 men unit of Gravewalker Treekin is build and ready for paint 😃

20210817_195503.jpg 20210817_195335.jpg 20210817_195301.jpg

In game these will count as Deadwalker Zombies which is why I have modeled them on 25mm bases. Hope you guys like them!

Redking29

Zombie
May 27, 2021
Moore Oklahoma
Very cool base design Raizi !

She does, doesn't she? 😉

Work is continuing apace on the Whisperings Forests, the first 10 men unit of Gravewalker Treekin is build and ready for paint 😃

View attachment 61036View attachment 61035View attachment 61034

In game these will count as Deadwalker Zombies which is why I have modeled them on 25mm bases. Hope you guys like them!
I love them! I’m doing a Ossiarch Bonereaper army using Sylvaneth models. They’re awesome for kit bashing

Badbones777

Zombie
Jun 17, 2021
Liverpool
Looking great all!

A much slower month than I anticipated - not even finished as such but thought I'd throw the first of the angelic host up as all's I likely do is a final filter on their flesh to make it cooler/paler/bluer. Maybe make the pus in their burnt patches runnier or change the tone a bit but not decided there.

The Shrine of Ghal Maraz/Tree of woe where offerings are brought is coming along so both that and the Angels will be done by end of month or just after ready for September which will likely see the faithful blessed with a Draconic ally sent from the heavens for the Pontifex to ride).

By which I mean a Terrogheist.

Screenshot_2021-08-29-14-14-29-480_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-29-14-14-21-163_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-29-14-14-12-094_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-29-14-13-57-133_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-29-14-13-39-405_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Macarian

Vampire Insomniac
Jan 19, 2014
Enschede
Following this month's trend some minor progress was made.

20210830_144500.jpg

Testing the colour scheme of my Gravewalker Treekin Zombie counts-as. Affectionately called Bloodbranches by the locals. Next month should see me finish the 10-man unit!

Badbones777

Zombie
Jun 17, 2021
Liverpool
I just realised that I have completely didn't do or mention anything fancy re basing either!

Mine aren't that interesting this month sadly. Hopefully the Terrogheist will have a more exciting base next month. For what it's worth the bases in this month's stuff were pretty much just sand, brown paint and PVA. Although their original home is a desert, they are on Crusade for Sigmar (well, they think they are anyway!) and are invading the area that in my narrative will hopefully be the home turf of my eventual cities army. Any it's currently grim, raining and autumnal there so I wanted to evoke that. Also the idea of these hideous, burnt, pustulent monstrosities flapping about in the rain (probably perching on the shrine, thinking they are doing good worship things) and generally screeching just appeals.
I did also make the mound on the "shrine" by well, making a mound out of milliput as it adheres well dries rock hard and takes paint well.

I will say this, polyfilla (I believe in the States you call it "Spackle" (sp ?) which is far more exciting to say) is pretty much fine for like 90% of basing work in general in my experience, as is milliput (though the former is probably cheaper by volume and easier and quicker to work with - especially if doing a ton of stuff or basing an army or project large enough that going super fancy on everything isn't practical - which is why I used/am using it for my Bolt Action Pacific stuff). Once painted it looks like fairly convincing bare ground and you can then put whatever fancy bits over it you like.

Made the flesh a bit colder than it was and changed eyes from blue to yellow as that reads better with the bluer tone to the skin and did a bit of work on smearing gore and offal on the shrine and dangling heads, and finished off impaled Kevin sat the foot of it and that's literally got to be it for this month as it's Septembertomorrow!

Screenshot_2021-08-31-12-24-21-140_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-31-12-24-05-571_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-31-12-23-50-795_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-31-12-23-27-044_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Jun 26, 2021
Very nice work from you all! 😄

Here's the account of what i've achieved this month.

Assemble:
Model of the Month: Grey Knight - Completed!
3 Grimghast Reapers - Completed!
Reikenor the Grimhailer - Completed!

Paint:
Taddeus the Purifier -
Guardian of Souls -
10 Classic Dwarf Thunderers - One Completed!
4 Negavolt Cultists - Completed!
20 Chainrasps - 14 Completed!
Model of the Month: Grey Knight - Completed!

So starting off with the Grey Knight freebie. I decided to challenge myself and try and paint his powersword in that mirrored blue effect. I found a very good video on doing it via drybrushing and whilst my end result is nowhere to that same professional standard, i'm quite happy with the experiment.

DSC_0721.jpg
DSC_0722.jpg
DSC_0723.jpg
DSC_0724.jpg
DSC_0727.jpg

Next I picked up one of the ancient Dwarf models that I was going to use as the champion for the classic Thunderers unit...turns out he's actually one of the Dwarf champions from the Marauder Miniatures range (and is almost as old as I am.) So I decided to take my time a little with him. Nothing too over the top though.

DSC_0730.jpg
DSC_0732.jpg
DSC_0739.jpg

Oh right, this was a dead-thing forum...have some 14 Chainrasps then. :P
On the back on the powersword experiments I hit upon a new method of blending...rather than do many many many washes to blend the black to hexwraith, instead I drybrushed Caliban Green which actually blended between the black and hexwraith very nicely. And saved some of my sanity.

DSC_0734.jpg
DSC_0735.jpg
DSC_0736.jpg

Oh yeah, and I actually did some base work. Stirland mud for a lot of the ghosts but also some plasticard cut into cobble stones. Here's a picture of my unfinished Guardian of Souls:

DSC_0740.jpg

And finally a look at all my painting and building for the month (apart from the judgemental Gryph Charger in the back)

DSC_0741.jpg
DSC_0742.jpg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu