• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Tale of Painters - Tomb Kings

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Alright so to kick of this Tale of Painters log, I'll post the list of what I'm planning to do, and pics of the models in their current unpainted state.

My list of models is the following;

Painted and completed unit in green
New edit done to show the current state of the army, and addition made to the original list in blue.
------------
1 Tomb King (from Sphinx box - Now built as a Priest)
1 Tomb King (Reaper mini)
1 Liche Priest (Conversion from zombie part, primed black)
1 Liche Priest (Converted GW Metal mini)
1 Mounted Lich Priest (Converted GW metal mini)
1 Tomb King Herald (slighlty converted Reaper mini)

40 Skeletons (full command) - Now 42 models, and all painted!)
6 Light Horsemen
3 Chariots (half-painted, much work to do still)
6 Chariots - Built

3 Sepulchral Stalker
30 Tomb Guard (20 metal mixed with 10 new plastic, will mix Halberd and hand weapons - Now 35 as I rank them 7 wide and made an extra filler with leftover - Now built)
28 Tomb Guards (Old mummy models to count as Tomb Guards with Halberd - Built)
1 Warsphinx (will need to build, uncertain - Now built
1 Warsphinx - Now built
4 Necropolis Knight - Built
18 Ushabti - 6 painted so far
Hierotitan - Built

1 Casket of Souls (might swap the Liche with a more mundane one from the characters above) - Painting started

-------------

And here's two pics of the current models;

Core models: 3 Chariots that need some rework, 6 Light Horsemen, 40 Skeletons.

Characters, Special and Rare: 21 Tomb Guards (waiting for the new plastic kit to get them to 30), Casket of Souls and a pletora of Characters.

The models highlighted in yellow are of course not out yet, so I'll have to wait for my pre-order to get here. Also as they are brand new kits, I might very well toys around with them, and plan conversion, wich might slow down thing a bit. In any case, I can't wait to get them :)

I'm also waiting on some molding materials so I can make some molds to test something out, and because of that I can't goes too far right now with my painting. That'll leave me times to works on other side project, and maybe prepare more Chariots not listed on the list (still have 6 unbuilt). So in a few weeks, I hope I can resume painting, and thing should go smoothly from there!

And a last thing, if you want to see any previous painting I've done in the past two months or so on my Tomb Kings, I have a painting log over at tomb-kings.net, wich you can find here;

Tomb-Kings.net panting log

Hope it's ok with the mods if I put a link to another forum. You can see the style of painting and what've I've worked on, so you can have a good idea of what's to come, and that with a bit of motivation I can get some stuff painted out!

I expect the next update to be whenever I get my molding materials or the new Tomb Kings kits, wichever come first to my door!

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
I really like what you did with your casket of souls. I might have to look at mine and copy your idea. As I really like its guards. I also am glad to see that you too use the reaper figures in your army. Looking forward to seeing more of your army and how it develops.

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Reaper is always a good source for some extra characters! And since the TK range is really lacking in choice and variety, it can't hurt to get some more (and can't beat the price too, 4-5$ per characters is quite nice!) :)

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
They are even nicer when you get a discount due to being a dealer for them. I actully picked up some of the scorpians and a manscorpian too. I am really looking forward to how things develop with your army.

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Ah! ive seen your plog on tombkings.net a few times. good stuff...
now get that good stuff all painted up! :tongue:

Nice visual on the shield skellies. they look cool!

Mioum

Crypt Horror
First update, kinda!

After receiving my molding materials, I made a mold and a cast of what I wanted to do, and made some quick test to see if it was worth the assle. Here's a quick look of what I wanted to do;

So this is a sand waves texture that I can cut to fit on my bases, the effect is a bit hard to get on pics but looks better in hand. I'm still not totally sold though, so I don't know if I'll go on and use it or just continue to use good old sand.

I'll have to think about it a bit before going futher with my army.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Fantastic looking sand waves. Could you perhaps do a tutorial?

Mioum

Crypt Horror
The pictures above are resin casting I've made of my original template. I did the template with a thin layer of greenstuff over a plasticard square (wich is 12cm by 12cm), then I glued fine sand over it for the texture. After that I made a mold of it so I could cast as many bases I want in resin.

I'm not totally satisfied with how it turned out, but I might still use it for Chariot bases as they feel mostly empty with my regular basing. Infantry and Cavalry isn't such a problem so I'll stick with regular basing on them.

Mioum

Crypt Horror
I didn't painted anything worthwile yet, but I did a single shield. On the TK forum, "Skittles" is starting to be a popular acronym for our humble Skeletons, and each time I see it, it reminds me of the candy!

So to get it out of my system I just had to make this, for shit and giggle :D

Was a fun thing to make for one shield, but I wouldn't want to do something like that for a full unit! Though I do have some ideas for a full unit if I wanted to do something with it... I'm glad I don't have the extra shields it would require to do it ;)

medwayscott

Grave Guard
Great freehand work, even if you were only doing it to vent the insanity.

And I have to agree with everyone else on the sand waves, they do look pretty good. I'm guessing it would save time basing regiments as well? Never tried anything like it myself, so I'll have to echo the calls for a step-by-step if you get a chance please?

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Time to rise this from the dead!

I slacked quite a bit on painting in the past weeks/months, but I sill worked on a few projects since the last update. I didn't posted anything since it was going quite slowly, but I have a few stuff done now so I'll show what I have completed so far.

First is my first 3 Stalker done, ready to be based and painted. The head is a mold I made from a SSC's head, that I'll use on all my stalkers and Necro Knights.

Here's a pics to show the bases (a bit of photoshop to make it clearer). I used some Hirst Art mold to make some scenery in plaster, then hardened with crazy glue.

Next is my unit of Necro Knights, pretty basic but with the snake head swapped obviously. I might try to add some scenery like I did with the Stalker, but they were a pain to glue to the base already (the base or the tail were warped a bit, so trying to make the base straight when the model is glued was annoying), so I might leave them as-is as it'll look weird with scenery only around the tails.

Last thing I built is my Warsphinx. Again pretty basic, but I replaced the tail (I kept it removable) and will use only 2 crew members in the howdah. The reason for both decision is simple; it'll be easier to transport and store it that way, otherwise it'll take way too much space. Some green stuff still need to be done on him, but only minor gap filling and such.

As far a painting goes, some work have been done on my Skeleton unit. I'm working on it right now so it's a bit more advanced (first rank is complete with shields), but I'm going slowly 1 rank at a time (god I hate doing shields).

-------------------

This was mostly a copy and paste from a recent post I made in my TK log on another forum, but fit here too for this tale of painters.

The Skeletons units is what kinda killed my enthusiasm after I started this log, doing 40 Skeletons in one go after what I already did (wich was a lot), was too much and I needed a change of pace! Now I'm going more slowly on them, I have 2 ranks done after I took that pictures, and I do little side project to not loose all motivation :tongue:

A first side project I did was finishing a unit I started years ago. I nearly forgot about them, but a friend told me randomly to finish them. Suddenly, I was motivated to finish them so they can get out of here as my friend want them for his cabinet at home!

That unit is a small unit of 20 Zombies. I started them quite a while ago, but now I don't want Zombies in my army as they don't fit my theme anymore (and they quite frankly suck, wich don't help them!). There was about 12-15 models already painted or nearly completed, but I repainted some area or used wash on them, so I ended up retouching nearly all of them. Hope you like them :)

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Firstly: Did you sculpt the snake bodies for the spectral stalkers to make use of the leftover torsos? If so, that was very sneaky and very clever of you. I like that. And anyways, awesome green stuffing! :thumbsup:

Secondly: What skeletons do you use? They look like GW, but not in every aspect, there is something about the heads I think...

Thirdly: Nice touch with the SSC heads.

And Lastly: Awesome zombie unit! Undead lizard FTW! And the rising giant is ingenious, I must steel that idea!

Overall: Great work

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Mad said:
Firstly: Did you sculpt the snake bodies for the spectral stalkers to make use of the leftover torsos? If so, that was very sneaky and very clever of you. I like that. And anyways, awesome green stuffing! :thumbsup:

Secondly: What skeletons do you use? They look like GW, but not in every aspect, there is something about the heads I think...

Thirdly: Nice touch with the SSC heads.

And Lastly: Awesome zombie unit! Undead lizard FTW! And the rising giant is ingenious, I must steel that idea!

Overall: Great work

1st; Yes I sculted the Stalkers to make use of those extra bodies, make the box much more worth it that way :tongue:

2nd; The Skeletons are the old 4th edition plastic Skeletons, with a few heads from the 7th VC Skeletons for variety and of course the kopesh weapon from the TK.

3rd; Thanks, needed something to replace the heads as I didn't wanted to hunt bitz, they can go to high price so I looked for something, I think it work great that way :)

4th; Thanks! I quite like the look of the unit too, but I just can't bring myself to use them in a game!

And copying the idea is quite welcomed too, means my idea was a good one :tongue:

I don't like to use the word because it has been hijacked and down graded but ... Awesome!

Love the sand wave bases. I think some bleached cattle skeletons/skulls (like in the cowboy films) would set them off and make them look 'lived in'.

I may have to steal your zombie unit idea, just brilliant.

Zanne

Skeleton
Wow, it all looks amazing so far and I have to say I'm impressed with the way you've gotten some extra use from those stalkers, and I do like the sand waves bases :thumbsup:

I've considered trying my hand at casting before, but I can't find information on how much you need/how far a bottle goes. I guess I'll soon find out if I bite the bullet and buy some :tongue:

Anyway, amazing, I look forward to seeing more :zombie3:

Mioum

Crypt Horror
So another update, though it's again about model building rather that painting - I knew that joining a painting event would mean I would lost the motivation to paint! I was on a hot streak when I joined, now I'm back to normal, wich mean building and converting! At least I still work on my army(ies), but I can't help it, I have to make and convert models :tongue:

Anywy, I did build some standard units, some Ushabti, Tomb Guards and the like, but here's my two most recent conversion as I didn't took pics of the more mundane stuff.

First up is my Ushabti standard bearer, nothing too complex but turned out great I think;

Next is my Hierotitan, very long in the making, but I finaly finished it, and quite happy with the result :)

A size comparison to show the scale;

And he come apart fo easier storage/transportation;

I still have some other stuff on the plate, so I don't think I'll get back to painting right now, but I'll get to it for sure, there's a few things I can't wait to see painted!

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Thanks for the compliments guys :D

While I was looking at my overall "to do" list of stuff to build, I was kinda surprised at how close I am to being done with my TK! My VC are also quite advanced (thanks to the Hierotitan who gave me time to work on multiple units xD), with only a handfull of units to do!

So I might have to be "forced" back into painting relatively soon, dependind on how fast I will work on what's left, and if I don't find more thing to do!

Mioum

Crypt Horror

I have another update incomming! I don't have time to make a brand new post, so I'll just copy-paste the same thing I've posted on the Tomb King forum;

------------
So I managed to finish 2 units this weekend! Nothing spectacular modeling-wise (but quite pics-heavy), but that's 2 big chunk done, I'm now mostly done with units!

It's my 2 units of Tomb Guard, one with shields, and the other with halberd.

The first with shield;

So a mix of old metal and new plastic in one unit. When I ordered the plastic TG box, I intended to do them with halberds, and use the front rank to display the option I've choosen for the game. But along the way I got other stuff to use as halberd instead so I made them with hand weapons (working slowly on your army sometime pays off ;)).

And I do my movement tray in 2 sections most of the time;

Because it help during games after casualty to not have huge empty tray in the way. So all of my big units have their tray in 2 parts like this.

That's a unit of 35 that was first intended as 28. I had a few parts left, so after being done with the 28 I planned, I decided why not use the rest for a unit filler, and thus I was able, with 4 more models (1 of wich is from the Sphinx), to add another rank of 7!

The idea for the guy with the vulture is a total ripoff of something I've seen here ;) Don't remember who did it, but I though it was quite cool and fitting for my little filler. The white plaster on the base isn't quite photogenic so we can't really see what's in there, but it's part from some Hirst Art mold.

My second unit, count-as halberd Tomb Guards;

Mostly a units of old OOP Mummies :) I had those back in 4th edition that I've sold at some point, but acquired them back again from ebay a few weeks ago (got them quite cheap too).

Sprinkled with the old GW Mummies are some Reapers one;

And 2 old HeroQuest Mummy to complete the "oldies but goodies" look ;) ;

The keen eyes might also have noticed this fella in the first rank;

It's a small cat from Reaper that I mummified, after all cats were sacred or revered animals in ancient Egypt, so why not in Nehekhara too ;)

Like the other unit, I intended this one to be 21 models, but ended up with a unit of 28. This time it was because I was kinda "required" to do unit fillers with them. Those old mummies are so big and in all kind of position that make them hard to rank, so I needed the space the filler would give me.

So after finding that I wouldn't be able to rank them conveniently, I made those;

Quite basic, in fact it's not much of a "filler" but more a space saver to not drive me crazy about ranking them!

Now they fit nicely with the rest of the unit;

You can see a ruin piece on a single base in the back, because I was out of models due to the rank upgrade the filler gave me! But since Tomb Guards are 99% of the time joined by a character, I can remove it easily, it was just to have all space occupied and look complete :)

Now to choose my next project!
----------