• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Tale of X gamers - Preliminary Discussion & Sign-up thread

How should we do this?

• Straight army to a certain value?

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Certain points cost per month?

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Both?

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raziel

Crypt Horror
Right, here's an idea I randomly had-Get a few people together to get an army painted per participant. The idea is if you're interested you make a pledge to get an army done to a certain points value by new years eve(or sooner, or even later if you want, but I'm doing it for new years). You post an army list and completion date and then post any pictures you want but there must be at least 1 picture of each unit finished. And no half doing a unit thats almost finished before you start to get out of doing a full 1, the whole point of this is that you get motivated to paint an army.

To start the ball rolling I'm pledging 2000 pts of VCs done by new years. It'll include Vlad, Konrad, Isabella, a female vamp(confession:she's undercoated, but thats IIRC) a Varghulf and at least 40 skellies, I'll put up a list later when I get the army book(should be 2 weeks max).

And yes, new years a far off, but I'm a very slow painter and have finished the grand total of 1 mini in around a year and a half, so 11 months for an army seems reasonable enough to me.

[edit]Participants(I'll update this every sunday from now on)

Me
DarkMark
Sorgenkammer
enigma
Arion
Zombienko
Von Koss
Fluffy(dropped out)
Synthesis
The Count
Skaramak von Carstien
Nosferatu
Nazg
Girathon
Darci d'Angouleme
Netherian Shrina
Cristov von Carstein
Vesh von Alberict,
Shayde Kerch
Voltaire
Voiceofthewarp
Aleraen
Disciple of Nagash
Voivode Vladislav VII
LordXander
Balvine
lord marcus
Aeschere
Master of Shadows
MustEatBrains
Lord_Konrad
lucas
Madcap422
Searchonomicon

Total participants:32

PM me if I missed anyone

Rules of the thread:
On the 24th of march registration ends and the thread proper is started.
A list of units to be painted is put in a post by each participant.
Painting starts on the first of April and ends on Halloween, with an army shot on or near the first of November
WIP shots aren't allowed unless you PM them to me first or if you have a blog and I ask you to upload them(I don't want to clutter the thread, but I do want more than just finished minis)
You can put up bits of fluff for you're army or characters, as well as battle reports and any good tactics you may have(essentially making this a good resource for inspiration and ideas for everyone)

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
RE: Tale of X gamers

I like the idea of this but I have my blog already. I will heavily endorse it though as it does get results!

- V

darkmark

Black Knight

These threads are always good for those involved. If somebody already has a blog going thats no problem as it allows for WIP and such stuff to be posted. A tale of X gamers thread could be pinned with only results being shown from painters. I may take part providing other armies are permitted.

Raziel

Crypt Horror

Any army that's board appropriate is permitted. My VC and TK armies are gonna share minis, so my TK are going to get a look in if I've time, as well as a mini Im working on for GD

Raziel

Crypt Horror

ok, I'm pledging Vlad
female vamp(isabella)
Konrad
Necro in cart
2 units of 15 skellies
10 Ghouls
10 Grave guard
1 Varghulf
3 Cairn wraiths

I'm making a wild guess that that army's 2k points, but I'm not sure.

Please start pledging!(The only thing that's going to get pics from me is if you lot pledge too ya know!)

darkmark

Black Knight

Hi,
I 'designed' this template for use on another forum so feel free to use, abuse or refuse it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purchase for month: minimum of one blister per month

Reason for purchase: why did you buy what you did? Adding a core unit, a fast unit, loved the model etc.

Plan for models: ideas for the model/ s you've bought

Comments: anything you have to say about the modelling or painting

Last month's models: photos of last month's results

Monies spent: total of what you've spent

Time spent: approx. total time spent on army modelling and converting, NOT playing though. Unit of hours should be adequate, just to let people how long its taking to get force ready

Army's performance: W D L, what it says on the tin

Overall comments: a few words on how you think project is going

S.O.S: any bits or parts you need, and hopefully someone may be able to provide or help with eg. a head, an arm, or weapon etc

------------------------------------------------------------------------

again without explanation i.e for copy and paste use

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Army:

Purchase for month:

Reason for purchase:

Plan for models:

Comments:

Last month's models:

Monies spent:

Time spent:

Army's performance: W D L

Overall comments:

S.O.S:

Arion

Vampire Lord
True Blood

Ive already got a blog (which no one likes:'() bit if other people like this idea then i pledge a 2000pt army (b-days = tons of warhammer!).

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
RE: Tale of X gamers - Discussion

Well, if we are going to have it that way then I suggest we go about doing this in the Warseer fashion of setting a time limit and designating a points value to each month so we get everything painted. I recommend we go for 250 points a month or something similar. I would use this thread to showcase my finished work and use my log for my WIP stuff then. I will obviously be pledging a Vampire Counts force to this.

I do not mind running this event myself as it provides me with an opportunity to help structure my army instead of going at it under my own steam.

Raziel

Crypt Horror

Voltaire, how about a pledge of an army to a certain points value and each month participants pick a unit or two to paint?

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood

Sounds good to me. I have changed the topic to 'preliminary discussion' so once we have a few people on board we can get things going...

darkmark

Black Knight
RE: Tale of X gamers - Preliminary Discussion

The only problem with points value system is that it can vary so much each time eg painting 200pts of zombies is going to be a lot harder than say 1 character model of equal value. However, I'm prepared to go with the flow and try. I can only pledge to do my best as my domestic situation often means zero me time ie no painting. I've got WE, DE, epic eldar and other bits and bobs on the go. For the sake of this though I'll probably say DE as there seems to be pretty solid news that we're going a book this August yipeeee!!!

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sounds good DarkMark. If you want to pledge a unit for a month instead of a points value that's better...

I would like to do it, the only problem is at the moment i have only just started getting into the gaming aspect of this hobby , but i would certainly do it if that dose not matter.

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Add in your Skaven, I have a feeling the fact its a horde is going to help balance out with speed painting.

Sorgenkammer - anyone is welcome here, regardless of time playing the game. If you sign up you might learn something!

I like the sound of it, but I definitely think that it should be in the Warseer format ie. Specific points values per month. Although some people with horde armies may not think its fair, you chose to do hordes!!! Just like I chose to use Hawk Turquoise as my main color from black undercoat..... So we all choose our own fortunes for this type of thing is what I'm getting at.

Cheers,

G

Well if thats all right i would really like to do it, the actual modeling side of my posts will be good and full of information but in relation to gaming i really wont mention much... hope thats ok::D

Arion

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Ok il join, one unit a month is fine, but so is 200-250 pts. This month...... UCOK.

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The applications will be taken for a few more weeks then everything begins in earnest.

I would like to join in as well, and will be ready when the thread leader(s) decide to crank it up. VC will be my army and I'm for the point cost per month choice. But in the end I'll go with whatever the majority decides.

Raziel

Crypt Horror
I added a poll cause people have different opinions of how this should be done. And I'm thinking apps til the end of march and then go til the end of december? Voltaire what are your thoughts on this as you're doing some of the work for this as well?

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The problem with a set points can be summed up thus;

60 zombies is equivalent in points to a unit of 4 Cairn Wraiths and a Banshee. I know people are going to spend more time on the Cairn Wraiths but it still won't be as long as 60 Zombies take.

enigma

Skeleton
voted certain amount a month... 200-250 i reckon, march thru december would work.
on the warseer version they also had 'off' months and played a joker... as most of you would know. would something similar be implemented?

Status
Not open for further replies.