• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Are you interested in participating?

• Sign me up!

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Nope, not really. I paint at my own pace.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Depending on time/circumstances, yes.

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
Who wants to help me paint stuff?

No! Not by getting a brush and doing it for me, but giving me motivation to do so! How, you ask?

Tale of X Gamers! And not X Games, we're not on bicycles or skateboards. We're painting.

Goal is this: Once I get people who want to do it, we think of a realistic goal. Say, one fully ranked unit a month. Or ten Rank and File and a Character. Whatever we decide on.

Then, we paint. Giving each other updates, encouragement, and general enthusiasm. We could also have a 'Penalty' of sorts if one of us drops out, say...zombies annexed by the other gamers?

C'mon, who's with me? All of this is theoretical at this point, I just need motivation to paint. Redarmy is doing a great job at getting me to paint my character (Now if I only took pictures of it, that'd be different. ;) ) now I just need help to paint my unpainted hordes.

uga bug

Black Knight
Jan 3, 2010
Its a good idea-but wasn't the last tale of gamers on here a bit of a fail? By that I mean it could be this time, rather than it will be.
If the people who take part are starting new armeis then you should start the month with the release of 8th ed. I for one would love to see a tale of gamers!

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
The far north, near northrend
The last tale of painters lasted about 3 months. I was in it, I would not say that it was a failure, but rather that it was held at a bad period of time. If I recall correctly it was held during the summer, which meant that at least I was away on vacation and outdoors a lot which left me not that much time to paint. (correct me if I'm wrong, my memory is really bad)

But I am actually repainting my old Averlanders I painted for that tale of gamers so if you do not get enough people for it then I might be able to participate... again. ;)

Tale of gamers is a great concept and I think it would be fun to see one tried again.

Starting at the beginning of 8th might be a good idea.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
But but I wanna get my mini's painted noooooooow! */whine*

Alright, alright. Maybe the beginning of 8'th is a better time frame. I can just recover and say that I'm testing the depth of interest for the idea.

'Sides. I want my models painted, dangit. I'm starting with 20 ghouls that have been black primed forever and a day.

Updated with a Poll; just click yes, no, or maybe to give me some feedback if this would work or not.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I would be willing to try and give this a go - I need to get me painting! I think we should also try and get Redarmy on this as well.

Xaret

Ghoul
May 5, 2010
Norfolk
Yeah I'm up for it, painting has never been at the top of my schedule. Although maybe now isn't such a good time, lots of exams over the next month and a half....

And should we get redarmy in here? I mean with the addition of a deadline my painting is gonna look even worse next to his :D

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jun 9, 2009
Would it have to be Vampire counts or warhammer? If not I need to paint a load of chaos marines, otherwise i've pretty much finished my VC army for the time being.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Sanai said:
I may be interested, as I really need to get my minis painted.

@ Sanai - where have you been? The forum's not been the same without you!

Hope I haven't scared you off :( Will you start posting more again.......if your lucky I might through in a perverted reason for you :whip:

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I would like to participate... however, I know that I will not be able to commit the time required.

So, not that note, I'll have to pass...

ChaosJedi666

Black Knight
Feb 9, 2010
Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Depends on the timing. I've been at the "just starting my VC Army" for the past 3 or so months now, but with work etc its a bit hard to find the time. Lately with one day off pw, sitting down painting is the last thing I want to do. So, I won't say a definitive yes, but if it starts in beginning of June then probably. If I'm lucky then I'll have my Mannfred painted by then. I'll make the time for it, so I might regret this, but....sign me up!

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Personally I think it should be the following from what everyone is saying:

Start mid June / start of July after the 8th edition has been released.
Any Games Workshop army (WHFB. 40K, LotR, Mordheim etc)
I can create a medal for those who stick with it to the finish, maybe with some kind of prize.
A small roundup can be included in each issue of the Invocation – a chance to for people to have their models shown in the e-zine.
Have its own User Project area.

How does that sound?

@ Oh yes – not for me to run it

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
Hehe. DoN is jumping in the leadership position. Go figure he likes people wearing gimp masks on the rack.:whip::love:

It's all good, and I can't disagree with the stuff you posted. So, basically, this will kick in in mid june to early July, and we'll have roughly 5-9 members participating. (Tentatively, of course)

sounds like a good number, so far. The poll stays open for roughly two more weeks, so we'll so who signs up before June.

Now, just for brainstorming purposes, how much should we be painting and what time frame? I'm thinking at 10 models per month for Rank and File. In a good weekend I can pump out at least that many, so over a month it should give slower (Also read as 'Much better than me') painters time to get 10.

So, as another general question, about how many models would the prospective participants be willing to commit to per month?

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Onikaigo said:
Hehe. DoN is jumping in the leadership position. Go figure he likes people wearing gimp masks on the rack.:whip::love:

As if I would do such a thing! :tongue: I was simply expressing my views xd Plus as the last part of my post states, I actually don’t want to be looking after this project – it will all be in your capable hands – though I will have to create and upload the medal if we do one.

Now, just for brainstorming purposes, how much should we be painting and what time frame? I'm thinking at 10 models per month for Rank and File. In a good weekend I can pump out at least that many, so over a month it should give slower (Also read as 'Much better than me') painters time to get 10.

So, as another general question, about how many models would the prospective participants be willing to commit to per month?

10 models per month. On one hand it is quite a reasonable amount, on the other hand it might be too little for some……

I think something along those lines is right, though we might need to create a list like:

10 RnF
or
2 Characters on horse or foot
or
one large model such as a dragon, Black Coach etc

or we could do it based on points / money?

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Dec 20, 2009
Money might be trouble, as we all have different currency, what about Unt strength? so essentially 10 infantry, 5 cav, 3 ogres, etc...

oh, and PS I'm definately interested, need to get my vamps up to scratch before I sell my gaming-soul to my Icy WoC god! Can't guarantee my participation till the times upon us but I'm tentatively in!

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
Disciple of Nagash said:
Sanai said:
I may be interested, as I really need to get my minis painted.

@ Sanai - where have you been? The forum's not been the same without you!

Hope I haven't scared you off :( Will you start posting more again.......if your lucky I might through in a perverted reason for you :whip:

I am definatly going to try and find the motivation to do this tale of X gamers. Actually been looking around for Blood Knights and Winged vamp to convert my vamp lord on foot and blood knights (Basically going to be a body swap between kastellan and winged vamp...and removal/replacement of the wing with something less....wingy.) Also, my room is actually clean now...I have floor, so that should help my motivation.

DoN, I am so, so sorry about my absense of sorts.
1# Computer access. Wireless died on the laptop, so mum and dad been using the main computer alot more, so I havnt had much access to it.
2# My studies and consumer rep work and work prac and homework and hanging out with tafe friends has taken some of my time.
3# Theres another forum in my life now. It is actually an adult roleplay forum. Yummy.
4# Mum has had this crazy idea, called "cut of internet access at a certain time of night because sanais lil bro has been on the computer too much, hence denying sanai internet use!"

So yeah... but I will try my best to be on as much as I can for you guys! I do love you all!

uga bug

Black Knight
Jan 3, 2010
how about one unit/squad each month? Or one core choice/troops choice e.t.c
Currency wouldnt be an issue then, it'd also balance out wit hthe different armies. For instance if someone was planning on starting up a goblin army they wouldnt get far painting 10 models a month!

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Great to hear you will be on more Sanai - it will be good to have you livening things up :perv:

@uga bug - that sounds like a good idea perhaps. Just one unit or squad per month. I suppose that will balance with characters or monsters / venicles, as generally people will want to spend more time on them anyway.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu