• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Targeted General

Hey guys, just a quick question to be asked of you great tactical minds( and DoN :D) out there.

I play a fair few games against a good friend who has a variety of different armies, OK, WE, Dwarves, O & C to name a few. We always have great games because we're both pretty good at what we do and they are always involved contests.

However, because he's pretty clued up about how my army works, he targets my general, throws a killer combat unit at him, continuing to do so until the general gets munched and then my army crumbles.

Now I'm no muppet, the general has good armour and I'm not throwing him in, and I usually divert his troops away or tarpit them etc, but he knows its how he's going to win so he's pretty relentless.

Any useful tips and ideas as to keeping him alive? I seem to come up against high strength units quite a lot, so even the natural flayed hauberk doesn't seem terribly useful.

Cheers,
Xar-xar

There is a new combo I have been meaning to try out that may work. give your general the nightshroud and place him in a unit that can protect him well and then when he targets your general his attacks are I1 and then you target the stuff that is targeting you.

Hmm, so if I kitted out the guy with kickass offensive gear ( A la Konrad) he's be able to kill anything before it could kill him. I like it!

Simple tip, don't waste on getting flayed hauberk or other protection, instead more magic so you can cast a wall of flesh to protect against his attacks. Encourage him to send one of his best units at your general's unit then raise a horde of zombies to cut them off, then the rest of his army is easier to deal with. Alternatively, do what I would do and have a zombie dragon lord 'go konrad' on them (the murderous kind we like, not the stupid kind)

One of my regular opponents likes the bunker and wall of flesh idea but I bested it with dispel scrolls used on raise dead to give me the single turn it takes pegasus knights/lords to hammer into his bunker for game over.

Another fun move is to take hunter in the dark and the carstein ring with some spell powers/items and cast loads into his back yard forcing him to spend ages to plug your lord only for him to turn up in his ready-made bunker. Unless you like rolling 1s that is.

Xaret said:
Hmm, so if I kitted out the guy with kickass offensive gear ( A la Konrad) he's be able to kill anything before it could kill him. I like it!
Plus if you put him in a unit of Grave Guard with HW+S you could add in the killing blow attacks for more hitting power. Just remember that GW would not work for this because the cause you to strike at I1 as well.

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
One combo that I've heard of is to drop all combat and defensive gear (maybe a Ward Save or Walach's Bloody Hauberk) for casting equipment like the Skull Staff and Helm of Commandment or some other goodies, and Flying Horror as a Vampire Power. When the enemy killer unit gets too close, jump him from his bunker to another unit close by. Maybe you can even draw your opponent's killy unit out before running out of the unit and counter-attacking with a more powerful hitty unit.

They call him the ejector seat Vampire. :D

Aha Vekarin! I love it. Definitely, in higher points games that is exactly what I am going to do. Yes, I can see it now, a level 4 wizard that laughs and runs away. Wristbands of black gold would add well to him being an independant character. I'm loving it !

Genius man :D

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Xaret said:
Hey guys, just a quick question to be asked of you great tactical minds( and DoN :D) out there.
Hey what do you mean "and DoN"? Are you saying I don't have a great tactical mind? :'(

Firstly you can protect your lord better. WBH and Dread Knight gives you a 1+ save and 5+ ward - should take some getting through. Always have a champ to take unwanted challenges. if you lord is kitted for combat there are very few RnF, high strength or not, that should worry a vampire lord, or should be striking before him. Those that do worry you, well you really should be keeping them away.

A Wight King with the Nightshroud and Sword of Kings makes a very nasty body guard, hitting most of the time first, and KB on 5+. Characters will be wary about getting into combat with him involved.

Use Dire Wolves, zombies to divert the unit. Plonk them right in front at an angle. Even if they do break through, they will be an at angle which makes them unable to charge (if you have done it right), and even better leave a flank open for you to charge.

If you want to go the caster route consider a Hellsteed and the Wristbands of Black Gold. Hellsteed so you still have more bloodline powers for you magic powers, and so you can fly, wristbands to give you a really good save against shooting. With this combo, couple with some Fell bats maybe as a shield, you are fast enough to avoid pretty much all deathstars (with the exception of the Bret RAF), and should be able to stay away from most danger. Remember most of our spells do not require LoS, so if you can hide behind scenery then do so.

What do you guys think of this for a solution?

Vampire Lord
Magic Level
Sword of Might
Nightshroud
Cursed Book
Gem of Blood
Infinite Hatred
Red Fury
Dread Knight

DoN I was merely teasing and trying to make everyone feel good. It was all lies of course ^.^

I'm going to be honest, I didn't phrase the question very well :(

I meant more as to when we play a smaller game and my general is only a Vampire, not a lord.

This makes it much more difficult to keep him alive and still make him a force to be reckoned with :D

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Yeah, it's very hard which is why we struggle at less than 2K. In this situation you MUST bunker him, which means he goes in one unit and is placed behind a much tougher unit in front, e.g.
Vampire, Nightshroud, Helm of Command (HoC to help the troops to fight, Nightshroud just in case!)
in 10 Ghouls, Ghast
behind a unit of 20 Grave Guard, Full Command, magic banner of choice
(nothing should chop through them)

Also make sure to do standard protective measures like keeping your general on the corner of the unit to minimise the attacks directed on him.

Ah Cheers Lord Fear. I'll get on to putting those standard Measures in place :D

The Nightshroud sounds like a winner :D

Burnanation

Crypt Horror
I think I would go with the mobile vampire, especially if he's just a hero. Make your opponent chase him around. If his strategy is based on killing your one model by getting in to CC, and you have denied him that, then you've already got a leg up on him.

If you're playing the same people over and over, switch things up. If last week you had your stand and deliver vamp, next week your slippery vamp, the week after that you do something else... you get the idea.

Fodderboy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Talisman of Lycni could be a good option for a bargain price, if you're after manouverability. Sure, it's not flight, but even only 9" for your march blocked movement rate should get you out of most trouble.

Kalandros

Necromancer
True Blood
I think it'd be hilarious to put your general in a normal unit that you can sacrifice, and have him fly far from harm's way when he has focused all his attention to your general's fake bunker.

Flying Horror is win.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Yep, any move you can do to draw your opponent's attention and make him chase shadows is made of win :D

Randar

Grave Guard
i find walach's bloody hauberk with a shield and Regen banner work well 3 + A.S. 5+ ward and 4+ Regen 3 decent saves.
or go flayed hauberk 2+ A.S. talisman of protection 6+ w.s. and Regen banner unit. can toss gem of blood on 1st build as well or blood drinker on either ^^. :vampire3: to keep him from dying once he is targeted!

Randar

Grave Guard
1k point game be cheap go ethereal and hide with some wraiths and a banshee watch your opponents face as he tries to figure a way to combat them lol xD

And then he pulls out his mages... oh (*^&&(*
Good idea against most dudes though, if he challenges with a hero though, you'd have to sacrifice your banshee, and if he's a dwarf with those nasty runes on his artillery...
"Your mother's a ****** *** ******** hippopotamus ********* *** **** snot brained **** ********* crazy ***** pile of monkeys..." Dumbledore quoted from Potter Puppet Pals, discussing Kislev as they are clearly overpowered ;)

Plus if you put him in a unit of Grave Guard with HW+S you could add in the killing blow attacks for more hitting power. Just remember that GW would not work for this because the cause you to strike at I1 as well.
[/quote]

this is true but if you have your GG with GWs hopefully you would have had the magic to give them ASF with van hells or corpse cart, this is even more reason to go magic heavy, High elves get a nasty shock when they go for my night shroud lord and end up attacking after my GW GG.

If you don’t want to spend vampire power pts on flying talisman of lynci is a good second bet.

some times in a fun game ill run a red furry infinite h8 combat lord, ensure he has nighshroud and talisman of lynci and when the enemy gets close i charge (along with 2 Varghulf) into that not so tough unit of spearmen or something, usually run through and cause havoc with any missile troops or squishy things about. its risky but its not something people expect and it usually leaves the flank of that killy unit of his open
(though thats usles in <2000pts)