• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

The 9th Scroll and the preview within

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
The guys over at The 9th Age forum has created a magazine called The 9th Scroll and released the first issue. You can check it out here.

Inside it you'll find some previews of the upcoming changes in v1.2, and there will be some changes. You can read about it in detail yourself, but in short there will be a major reduction to the number of paths within the game and a restructuring on the basis of how an army is built.

The paths will be reduced in numbers from 20 to 10, with the aim to make each of the paths more unique (instead of having 20 paths more or less equally good at everything).

The army building restructuring means that the armies will be split into new categories instead of the traditional Core, Special and Rare. We will instead have to choose units from categories based on their purpose in the army, so everything that shoots is in one category and all the monsters is in another. The goal here is to remove the extreme lists that spam a few units (gun line armies and monster mash for example).

What are your thought on these change, and on the 9th Scroll in general?

My fear is that with the loss of army-specific lores, the game will lose a bit of background. What if when the 9th age background will be finally released, it will be nothing like Warhammer?
Magic overall becoming even weaker is sad for a VC player who enjoyed going magic-heavy.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
The magazine itself is perfectly fine. I share @Aranei's concern about the rumours. I for one don't like change in general and will keep a wary eye on what they come up with. At the heart of it all it's Warhammer I love and I hope that T9A stays near it.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
I really like the idea of streamlining. I have long held the view that Warhammer was far too bloated for its own good, and that the first version of the Ninth Age missed a golden opportunity to shorten the rulebook. I am slightly surprised that the rules development team feels the need to start with magic though. I feel that it's the core rules which need a massive overhaul. The charge phase is way too complicated, for example. It shouldn't be necessary to have more than one side of A4 for rules on charging, yet there are multiple pages.

Regarding streamlining paths of magic, that may be okay, but I'm wary of which paths will be removed. If they are planning to remove ten paths, that doesn't leave very much overall. Assuming the eight colleges of magic are kept, which they must be in my opinion, that only leaves two other paths. What will these be? Some races could use college of magic paths, but even so, it doesn't seem rather drastic to me. I have a feeling this could upset a lot of players.

Changing how armies are chosen seems less of a problem to me, as it's not removing anything, just trying to restrict numbers and certain combinations. I'm much more in favour of this idea.

I really like the idea of streamlining. I have long held the view that Warhammer was far too bloated for its own good, and that the first version of the Ninth Age missed a golden opportunity to shorten the rulebook. I am slightly surprised that the rules development team feels the need to start with magic though. I feel that it's the core rules which need a massive overhaul. The charge phase is way too complicated, for example. It shouldn't be necessary to have more than one side of A4 for rules on charging, yet there are multiple pages.

Regarding streamlining paths of magic, that may be okay, but I'm wary of which paths will be removed. If they are planning to remove ten paths, that doesn't leave very much overall. Assuming the eight colleges of magic are kept, which they must be in my opinion, that only leaves two other paths. What will these be? Some races could use college of magic paths, but even so, it doesn't seem rather drastic to me. I have a feeling this could upset a lot of players.

Changing how armies are chosen seems less of a problem to me, as it's not removing anything, just trying to restrict numbers and certain combinations. I'm much more in favour of this idea.
The revealed Pyromancy doesn't give very much basis for guessing the other Lores.

I agree with you on charges. Warhammer became an overburdened system over the years, it would be better to let the over-complexity go away. Possibly they will realise this at some point.

Do note that 9th age is being written by the folk who organize tournaments, or are team captains, at least in the majority.
Which means that their main concern is balance. They oppose ruthlessly power creep and unit spam (and other forms of spam as well), which is not bad. However, I fear that they bacame too involved in forming their big tournament metagame and forgot that the game must be fun to start with, or it will turn into an another Warmachine (which is a good game being turned into a crappy one by the way the tournaments are played, and by being overall tournament-orientired).

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
As a non-tournament player myself, I empathise with those concerns. In addition, the perennial problem of rules written by the player base is that they can end up becoming rather divisive and result in various different sets of rules emerging to cater for different groups and interests. You only need to look at the Epic community to see that.

Based on what I've read regarding the changes thus far, I am leaning towards not participating in the Ninth Age. The response to my comments about the changes to magic suggested to me that it's not going to go in a direction that I favour. If they're going to retain all the complexity of the main rules, while removing the diversity of magic, then I see no advantage to playing Ninth Age over one of the editions of Warhammer that is still sitting on my shelves. It thus seems to me if I want to play a rank and file game, I'll stick to Warhammer, while if I want a streamlined game which is much easier to play I'll play Age of Sigmar. I can't see what the Ninth Age is offering at this point.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
My fear is that with the loss of army-specific lores, the game will lose a bit of background. What if when the 9th age background will be finally released, it will be nothing like Warhammer?
I think it will be similar to warhammer, not identical but similar. the way I understand it, the fluff will not be based on the warhammer fluff, but rather based on what the warhammer fluff is based on. The Empire of Sonnstahl for example is not based on The Empire but on the Holy Roman Empire, and similar for other armies. The idea as I understand it it to create instant requisition within the fluff by basing on the real world (much like warhammer).

The paths rewrite is not to be seen as a changing and merging of paths, but rather a complete rewrite, with the foundation of what will be interesting in the game. The Path of Pyromancy is not based on Path of Fire, but is a new path constructed to be a damage dealing path good against mainly soft targets. It may contain many spells similar to those previously found in Path of Fire, but that is only because they fit that concept.

I think the changes to the paths is a step in the exact same directed. Hopefully there will be a real choice in selected ones Path in v1.2, rather than each path being largely the same. Something that I hope to see is a path that is good for mobile combat wizards. Something that boosts the caster and with short range on spell (cause I won't need it and that would make the spell easier to cast). I used such wizards in 7th and 8th edition and wish to have the incentive to do so again. When all the paths have decent range, decent hexes, decent augments and decent damage spells I might as well take the wizard on foot in a bunker.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Just listened to a video Oncebitten did on this topic, he explains it really well imo.