• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

FatOlaf

Varghulf
Aug 15, 2007
London
Turn 4

Empire turn 4

The turn got off to a real bad start for Empire as the two units near Boris failed their Terror tests and fled. The size of the Gunner unit was over US5 and they bounced through many units behind causing further panic tests. We could not believe how badly the player rolled and VC and Dwarf did not know whether to laugh or cry (probably not laugh due to the current temprement of said player).
The Gunners fleed, the metal mage fleed, the Swordsman unit led by priest fleed and the Halbadier and gunner detachments fleed off the board. Most of his units were right near the edge now needing some good rally rolls next turn.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02012.jpg

The 'not bothered' Huntsmen reclaimed the tower, restoring some human pride.
The general and the Knight turn to face the oncoming Giant and the other Knight unit move to hug the trees on the VC flank. The Flagellants charge the Zombie unit.

The magic phase was non existent as both mages were fleeing and in the shooting phase the HBVG lived up to it's reputation by shooting 18 times but only causing 3 wounds on the fellbats. This left one bat with one wound and a lot of fleeing units to charge at.
The gin swigging Pistolliers all shot at the wolf like vampire, Torst, and nothing hit....

In CC the combined efforts of the Greatswords and Flagellants were enough to kill 10 Zombies in CC and then another 11 fell to crumble. Just as well the unit was huge to begin with.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02013.jpg

Dwarf turn 4

The Thunderers reformed on top of the hill to face the Empire whilst his General and his Iron breakers finally reached the church and took it. The Dwarven weapon was back in it's ancestor's hands but for how long?

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02014.jpg

The rest of his units moved forwards...

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_Dwarfturn4.jpg

The crews of the Dwarven war machines had been laughing too hard at the sight of the humans running away, as their shooting suffered this turn. The only two hitting were the GT killing 6 Zombies in the unit near the tower. And an Organ gun scoring onr crucial wound. The might Boris clutched his chest and fell. His work done, he crashed to the floor. :rip:

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02016.jpg

VC turn 4

The lone Fell bat charged the Light mage and his gunners who of course had to flee again and went off the board.
The Zombies charged the Huntsmen in the tower who passed their fear test.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02018.jpg

The count and his unit plus the lone Torst charged the Pistolliers behind the wall. They passed their fear test and deceided to stand and shoot killing 5 skeletons. I think the Empire player had had enough of fleeing so unwisley had done this, IMO.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02017.jpg

The remaining Skeleton unit reformed to face the flank of the battling Flagellants.

The magic phase was again a non starter as Olaf miscast (luckily only a non wounding S2 hit) and both Dieter and the book were countered by the barrage of Dwarven DD. I was hoping with the Empire mages out of order that I would have got something off this turn but it was not to be..

In CC Olaf and Torst made mincemeat out of the pistol wielding Toffs and overran into the back of the General and his knight.
The zombies failed to take the tower however and lost another 2 to crumble. These Huntsmen were proving troublesome.

FatOlaf

Varghulf
Aug 15, 2007
London
Turn 5

Empire turn 5

Starts well with all the fleeing units rallying, Empire player happy bunny again (sort of), the ensuing magic phase saw the metal mage draw out another Dwarven rune. In the shooting phase the HBVG saw off the final bat whilst his cannon kills 3 Dwarf warriors that were getting a bit too close over on the other flank.
The Huntsmen shot down a Zombie and waited for the inevitable charge.

In CC Count Olaf having overran into the Empire general challenged him and yet again doing no wounds, the general in turn wounds him twice but yet again the family ring saves the day.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02019.jpg

Torst slays the other knight with no such difficulty and the general faces a mighty -6CR, he of course runs and Torst catches him and crashes into the flank of the small gunner detachment outside the church.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_Empireturn5.jpg

The Zombie unit fares poorly again against the Greatswords and the Flagellants and loses another 5. However this could have been a lot worse and importantly the unit still stands.

Dwarf turn 5

Again the units march forwards, the warriors near the tower now in range of the awaiting Skeleton warriors and Black Knights.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02021.jpg

The GT again proves it's worth and takes out another 6 Zombies from the unit near the tower. The Canon fells a BK.
The Thunderers on the hill finally finish off the Empire cannon.
The combat betwen Torst and the gunners of course proves a tempting target for the impartial Dwarves ( we had decided this would be allowed beforehand) and the guns were turned to face this melee. A Bolt Thrower took out a gunner. The first Organ gun killed 3 gunners and hit Torst twice, his Armour saving him both times. The second Organ gun scored 10 hits (how I hate these machines and their rules), of which 6 were on Torst, only two wounded but this time his normally reliable Hauberk failed him and Torst fell in battle. The remaining gunner took 4 hits and both units fell to Dwarven shooting.

VC turn 5

Time for some action thought Olaf as his units sprung into action. He himself moved his unit past the two knight unit, ignoring them, the church was of more importance.
The Skeletons and BK on the flak charged the brave (foolish?) Dwarf warriors who held their nerve and passed their fear test.
The Zombies again attempted to storm the tower and the resolute Huntsmen held, determined to hold this for the Empire.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02023.jpg

The skeleton unit charged the flank of the Flagellants to try and give the diminishing Zombies a fighting chance (slim as it was).

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02022.jpg

The Dice gods smiled on Olaf and Dieter in the magic phase. Firstly Olaf cast ION on the Zombies attacking the tower, the Empire player again rolled three 1's with his 4DD and 13 Zombies rose to join the fight. Dieter meanhwhile cast Curse of the Years on the Ironbreakers holed up on the church and cast it with Irresistable force, killinig 5 of them. This could be the beginning of something....

In the 'battle for the tower' the purchase of the Zombie musician paid dividends as the combat was drawn and then won by the crash of a Zombie drum :D The Huntsmen even nearly managed to stay rolling a 3 but fled 6 inches.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02024.jpg

The fight between the BK, Skeletons and Dwarf warriors was completely one sided, and the stunties were forced to flee, they of course were caught and slaughtered! Both VC units pursuing off the table. Giving them some much needed relief from the Dwarf gund for a turn.

The Skeletons tipped the balance in Olaf's favour in the Flagellant/Greatsword/Zombie battle but the stubborness of the Greatswords put pay to any notions of flight, the undead winning the CR by 5...

FatOlaf

Varghulf
Aug 15, 2007
London
Turn 6

Empire turn 6

No charges were declared and the Huntsmen rallied again. His units moved forwards again.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_Empireturn6.jpg

The metal mage finally got a spell of and cast Distillation of molten metal on the Organ gun crew, killing 2, the Dwarf player responded by dispelling my Curse of the Years on his Ironbreakers. :angry:

In CC the Zombies were finally wiped out, freeing the Greatswords from this combat. The flagellants winning this round of combat and now being able to turn and face the Skeletons.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02026.jpg

Dwarf turn 6

He moved his warriot units forwards, knowing the end was in sight and possible victory.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02027.jpg

The shooting phase went from the sublime to the ridiculous, firstly the Bugmans intake levels had gone up dramaticaly as afternoon sunshine gave way to dusk. And the Dwarf player called another ridiculous guess range for his cannon on the tower which was probably well over 50 inches away. He guessed a mighty 18 which then misfired anyway. It was a dud like the guess.
The Empire general took it upon himself to teach the Dwarven general the finer apects of range guessing.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02028.jpg

The GT fired upon the swordsmen unit which again misfired as another dud.

The Thunderers on the hill took out the other one man Empire cannon.

The first Organ gun fired upon Olaf's skeleton unit, I screamed out for a misfire which I then duly got (much to the frowns of the Dwarf player) which again only turned out to be a dud.

His second Organ gun fired upon the same unit and I again screamed for a misfire, which I duly got ( I was called lots of names at this point) and the thing blew up! Result.

He had 4 misfires in a row, impressive stuff.

To top it off both his Bolt throwers hit nothing and he was left to sob into his Ale....

VC turn 6

Olaf and his unit charged the Church, the dwarves inside using their Rune of Courage to avoid the fear test.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02029_1.jpg

Over on the tower side my skeletons and BK came back onto the table and moved towards the Dwarves, praying for more time.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02030_1.jpg

In the magic phase Dieter managed to excel himself again by pulling off another Curse of the years on a Dwarf warrior unit, killing 3.
Olaf boosted his own unit by another 7 skeletons.

The Flagellants lost men but held on for another turn.

Olaf entered the church and challenged the Dwarf lord, his champion accepted in his place (Very Cowardly! :P ) and was duly cut to ribbons by a for once accomplished Olaf, inflicting 4 wounds. The rest of fight was close and the Skeletons lost the battle by 2 losing another 2 to crumble. The Church was safe, what VC and Empire wanted was another turn, what the Dwarf player wanted (from about turn 3) was the game to end. We rolled for another turn..........

FatOlaf

Varghulf
Aug 15, 2007
London
Turn 7

Empire turn 7

We rolled and got it!
Empire started by charging his Greatswords and two knights into the flank and rear of the Skeleton unit battling with the Flagellants.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02031.jpg

And the ever determined Huntsmen charged the tower again.
The Metal mage reclaimed the Guard house which we decided to allocate 1VP for possession of.
However his new home put the mage off his strade and his magic failed him. The Dwarf the dispelling my Curse again....
The HBVG then decided to pack up and jammed whilst being fired on the approaching Dwarf warriors. The gunners fired on the same unit killing one hardy Stunty.
In CC the valiant Huntsmen failed in their scaling of the tower and lost 2 men moving an inch back.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02032.jpg
In the giant four way battle, there was a suprising lack of successful kills leaving the Skele unit to only lose 3 of their number and one to crumble.

Dwarf turn 7

The Runesmith jumped ship, moving out of his Warrior unit to avoid the predicted BK charge (Dammit!)

The shooting phase began with another misfire as the GT tried to hit the mage inside the hut, a rather audacious attempt, again the misfre only resulted with a dud.
The canon then changed the flow by killing 5 Swordsmen followed by his thunderers and a bolt throwers knocking out 3 of my BK.
The remaining Organ gun again rolled another 10 hits on Olaf's unit, killing 9 of them.

VC turn 7

I had to go for it!
The BK charged the Thunderers, they shot and luckily wounded no-one.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p57_fatolaf_DSC02034.jpg

Olaf again charged the church...

Against the odds, the Dwarf and Empire using all their DD to stop them, Olaf managed to raise 5 skeletons in his own unit, it might help.

In CC the 4 way battle continued with 7 skele's falling.

Olaf challenged the (cowardly) Dwarf lord and this time he accepted. Of course Olaf only managed one wound which the Lords -10000 AS saved (I'm not bitter.....honest) The Lord responded by wounding Olaf 3 times, I rolled the dice nervously but the ring did not fail me and all were saved once more. The reamaing combat was soooo close, the skeletons losing 2 and the dwarves one. I lost the church by one wound, if only Olaf could hit something when it mattered (I'm dumping his GW in future, going for something else). The skele's crumbled by one and retreated from the church entrance, would I have another chance??

The BK killed 5 Thunderers but they did not break aided by their general being alive and within 12.

We rolled for another turn..........

Epilogue

The game ended much to the relief of the Dwarf player. We knew he had won coutersy of our wierd rules but it had been close, If I had killed his lord and got the church it would have been a different result. Since this battle we have fought a smaller three way and used much better rules, ie whoever capture the flag wins, points lost dont matter etc. But still the fight was a real treat, greta fun and and epic struggle between Empire and VC. The crazy Dwarven shooting will remain lodged in my brain along with the sight of half the Empire army running from Boris!

The final points were so:

Points lost:
Dwarf - 270
VC - 1250
Empire - 1381

Points gained:
Dwarf - Church 100VP
VC - Tower 100VP
Standard 100VP
General 100VP
Empire - GuardHouse 1VP

The Dwarves through not having lost really any Infantry won therefore by 780 points. He did claim it was a hollow victory and that for sheer effort the win in spirit should have gone to the VC but there we go.

But as I said, a great day, a rare chance for us to do such a big battle and it really showed how great the new building rules are, we use one at least in every battle now.
Thanks for reading and tune in next time.............

Olaf stared at the body of his beloved Boris, the wounds had been many and grevious! But his death had not been in vain, his last act to change the tide of the battle by scaring the cattle out of the hamlet in their droves. He chuckled when he pictured the sight of a priest of Sigmar in full flight. Dieter called from the atop the tower, the Dwarves were leaving, their prize in tow.
This was good news, inside that accursed church surrounded by their guns, the Dwarves had been hard, ney impossible to defeat. But out on the open road....Well that was a different matter.
But to matters at hand, Olaf turned to his right and witnessed the last struggles of the humans. The Greatswords had been a thorn in his side the entire day and it had taken the combined magicks of Olaf and Dieter to finally fell them. The Curse had been strong and the spell had finally taken it's grisly toll as the last of the stubborn warriors fell to his knees, his flesh falling from his bones. The rest of the humans had perished or fled except the scouts, they were now captive in the bowels of the tower they had struggled so hard to claim. Their fate was in the hands of the Count and he looked forward to exacting it but first the preparations had to be made. A hundred Zombie hands lifted the prone body of Boris aloft and carried him slowly and ungainly towards the tower. His pet would live again. He would live to serve his master once more.

FatOlaf

Varghulf
Aug 15, 2007
London
So after some small border patrols last week where my 'lets save some points and only take a lvl one necro' experiment failed miserably. We decided to play one of the Historical battles from the Nemesis Campaign. We went for the Unquiet Dead battle with Empire replacing Dwarves. Now this I thought would prove tricky with the extended movement of Cavalry enabling him to charge the units blocking the exit turn 2. So I loaded up on two big units of Skeles lead by Torst backed up by Dieter and Heinrich behind. Spirit Host guarded the flank along with the Banshee. Ghouls and Wolves spread out across the table 18" away from the Empire. He had spread himself about a bit so this was fine. Finally Bats protected my other flank, also gunning for one of the two gunner units he had ahead (their flanks looked real tasty). The battle started well for him, his Priest and 2 mages easily hampering my magic phase (1500 point battle by the way). The tide changed when first his big unit of Knights charged my skeles on the road and lost half their number and fled. His second unit of Knights for some reason went off the other side of the board chasing my 5 dire wolves who kept baiting him, this kept this unit and his general out of the entire battle. Despite a mis-cast and a wound to my general, the magic phase became mine when my skeles wiped out his Light mage hiding in a Greatsword unit (who rolled snakes eyes to stay in CC), which then helped my other skeles and Spirit host plough through his Flagellants, gunners and other detachments aided by my hungry Ghouls. The humans were either pursued and caught or fled off the table. Not one of his units had got within 6" of the exit denying him the much needed 100VP bonus for each unit that achieved this. I had also captured two standards with my Torst Skele unit. By the end of turn four it was obvious he was a goner and a much needed massacre was awarded to Olaf!
Plus some healthy campaign points for my army which now stands 17th in the region...
More Nemesis related action next week but coming soon, Olaf stars in our Mighty Empires Campiagn, which will be posted every week, set in Stirland featuring Olaf's VC, CD, Empire, Dwarves, DE and a suprise army. I will post the BR's and the campaign turns for all the players.....And of course you'll see it first on Carpe!

Well since that battle, Count Olaf has made a bit of name of him self amongst the Empire with 2 further massacres against them. However the big news is that his battle will be along side them and not against. Yes with some crazy fluff alliances going around, we went for a 4K battle this Thursday. 2K Vc & 2K Empire versus 4K Dwarf (might even be 2K Dwarf/2K Khorne), it will be an all day battle and our last of the Nemesis Campaign (which seemed to go so quickly). It will probably take me a few days to post it all, so bear with me....
So look out for first instalment this wknd...

And apologies for delay in the BR being posted, it will go up this Sunday hopefully, so long as I dont get distracted by start of footy season.
Following that BR Our campaign has started and the first 4 turns has been played, this will also go up and will be updated weekly.
Tis a might Empire campaign featuring Count Olaf v Khorne v Empire v Dwarf...............coming soon to a thread near you!

FatOlaf

Varghulf
Aug 15, 2007
London
The BR will be coming this wknd, have been so busy, plus last Sunday had far too much football on TV for me to tear myself away.
Anway yes the battle was eventually a 2K VC & 2K Empire alliance vs 4K Dwarves and it was great fun and should be a good read for you all.
The BR's so far have been copied from Carpe 1 and too save time I had to cut out all the comments between battles.
Please feel free from now on to leave comments, if you like them let me know, this is why I do them..

BR coming, been busy with work and our new PLOG but the final battle of the Nemesis will be put up soon, I promise....

FatOlaf

Varghulf
Aug 15, 2007
London
So have been having a small break using VC and have been trying every week to beat Logan054's Khorne with various armies. This week was the turn of my skaven at 1500 points. He had gone for a marauder list and I was quite shooty, with 3 ratlings, 10 Jezzails (I was expecting Knights) and 2 warlocks, but for fun I also had plague monks led by a priest as the general, with the hatred banner and a giant stormvermin bunker for the warlocks, these guys went on a hill on the right flank whilst the middle was filled with slaves and clanrats.
Turn one looked bad with his terror causing giant approaching, and various hound units threatning my Jezzails and ratlings, two flail wielding units of marauder horsemen threatened my right flank. One of these units had panicked on my first turn due to 2 Jezzail kills but had rallied. My first magic turn my new dice rolling technique (my dice luck had been so bad the last 4-5 games, I binned my leather dice cup) paid off when i rolled 15 on 3PD for my lightning spell, Logan did not bother to dispell but then i rolled two ones for numver of hits which of course killed the warlock (and his storm daemon), bad start! However by end of turn two things were looking up, my ratlings started to roll well and his giant fell to around 9 hits, the hounds next to him ripped to shreds by my Jezzails, left flank clear, terror causer, dead. These Jezzails then claimed a tower on that flank and did not do much rest of game. On the right flank, I wiped our both sets of hounds and both units of horsemen panicked and fled off the table, this was a combo of high rolling ratlings, lighting and a warp scroll. Left flank clear! As a result his marauder unit containing his general actually panicked as well, but good low rolls saw them only go near the table edge (he failed to rally first time) and rally the turn after, this however took them out of the game till the last turn.
Meanwhile my two slave units actually held off his beatsmen blocking his other marauder unit behind, the introduction of his chariot saw off the slaves and a clanrat unit behind but all had been positioned as to guide the chariot safely away from my monks. In the end a shed load of ratling and Jezzail fire finally put down the chariot (but it had earned it's points back, taking down 3 units, my god, chaos chariots are good) and my monks first took down the beastmen and then a flank attack on his marauder unit (taking his hero out of the CC), an obscene amount of attacks from the monks made the marauders flee straight into a clanrat unit that I had positioned behind them. Now he only had his generals unit left. My monks claimed a church on the left flank. His last turn he charged my clanrats, I did flee at first but for fun I agreed to hold, they of course died. My last turn of shooting took this unit down to half strength and I got a solid victory (if I had fleed with those rats and not lost another standard, it would have been closer to a massacre).

I had finally beaten him on the fourth time of asking and it was a good comprehensive win. My dice rolling in particular (apart from the warlock) had been superb, with my ratlings only jamming once, my Jezzails only losing one model, the number of hits I rolled was high constantly and also I had good rolls to wound, in CC I also rolled well especially for the monks, giving them hatred made them formidable!
All in all, my plan for good dice had worked and my tactics were sound, good fortune had prevailed early with logan failing so many panic tests, especially his generals unit, but he was always taking that risk when facing so much warpstone fire and having certai units well away from the general's LD
It's fun to face chaos with skaven as they are one of the only armies with out shooting so the ratlings can roam free, not so sure logan would agree though.....
Tomorrow the same rats will face a new enemy, the dreaded Brets, can they make it 2 in a row?
Stay tuned.....

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Aug 16, 2007
Colchester
Well i have to say that wasn't the greatest battle for me, i think my entire game was basically just removing models from the board, the fact i lost a 1/3 of my army on the first turn really didn't help much.

On a note on that fleeing unit, i'm not even gona comment on my thoughts on that clanrat unit fleeing on my last turn, i cant fault a thing about your list to be fair, i simply used the wrong list against it, i think if it wasnt for shooting into combat that game could have gone very differently and the luck shot on the giant. Still was a learning experience for the next time :D

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu