• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

The Crypt Idiot! Can it be revived?

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Hello again!

Back in 7'th edition I, along with input from the forum, was attempting to create an adaptation of 'The Village Idiot' playstyle that the Empire enjoyed. And if the living can have it, why can't we? So, The basics of the Village Idiot are here, though outdated, and the take I had made on it during 7'th edition is here.

So, with these in mind, the general question is this.

Is it possible to make a heavily based infantry horde with cheap, note the word 'Cheap' complimentary lords and heros? Perhaps even lordless Vampires at 3K? The object of the build is to abuse our Undead benefits, outnumber and outmaneuver our opponents, and win through the grind/combat resolution.

I find it incredible to see a TVI list from the empire, units next to units for the entire length of the table, table edge to table edge. That's kind of the feeling I want when I play Vampires.

Can it be done?

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Sure, we do have zombies. A lordless list sounds dangerous however (crumble crumble)

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Yes. In the 8th with fighting in two ranks etc bigger and more units are much more viable. I think this would be a great idea to develop.

Go for it Oni!

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
A Wight King might work as a decent general (at least in the survivability department) if you want to keep character costs down, though I don't think that VC infantry will be able to beat much of anything through grinding and combat resolution, unfortunately. I believe that we do need our potent character choices for that, as well as our harder specials and rares - leaving less points for that desirable mass of units you're looking for. We'll also want to rid our opponent of their Steadfastness, which will require rather large units of our 8-point infantry models. Even with raising them during the battle, each starting unit will have to be a significant investment in points if they are to be of any sure use during the game.

I see a few rather large hurdles with The Crypt Idiot approach during the 8th edition, but that's just my own take on it. I will happily be proven wrong. :clown:

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Helm of Commandment and Lore of beasts could work well.
Take a vampire lord for those. Yes, it is an expensive character
But, you can still get alot of troops, and make those troops perform well, while using the vamp as a supportive augmenter.

Keeping in mind that I have not played a game in years, I am not going to claim I have a tactical idea here. More a question?

If I understand the original Village Idiot thing right, it was using the detachment rules, meaning everything has good leadership available, and unit clustering with flank charges to good effect?

We don't have detachment rules but we do have fear and terror - why don't we almost turn the idea on its head and create a system where through terror tests it makes more sense to attack our infantry? - At least at face value. I have toyed with the idea of using a large block of skeletons, just HW +S, upto about 30 strong (I haven't even started painting yet, so any bigger is unrealistic), with two "wings" of ghouls at just ten a piece with a Ghast. They stay a little behind the main block and slam into the flanks of the enemy, a bit like the village idiots detachments.

How I was planning to get the enemy there? A combination of terror causing units on the flanks to herd people in the right direction (wraiths, vampires on hellsteeds with Scabscrath, or Supernatural Horror powers, and the Coach or a Vargulf - or both). The way I see it, either the terror test kicks in and they run away, leaving less support for the enemy, or they waste time hunting the terror units (have to keep them mobile and run away!) - or they try to avoid the terror tests by clustering up themselves and moving towards the infantry. Trying to encircle the enemy with these "terror bubbles" might be really hard, but I wonder if it might work?

If you then had a vampire on foot in the main skeleton block with the Bloodline power that drops LD within a certain radius, and then some black knights as a defensive counter charge, might that work? It would mean that your basically sapping the enemy morale before it even begins to get fighting

The worry is that people could just dodge most of the stuff we have so lots of magical support will be needed in the form of Vanhels - multiple necro's might be a way forward?

Can't wait to see what people come up with - I love the idea of a big infantry heavy Vampire army! - good luck guys - Panda