• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Aren

Crypt Horror
Sep 22, 2010
Welcome one and all.

So, I simply and utterly adore dark classical music. Rock I can listen to and tolerate but modern pop makes my insides become my outsides (you get that after 9 years playing classical guitar). Now that is not to say I dont like people who listen to pop, but for me it just doesnt work, I see no skill, repetitive lines and tunes plus 90% drums ( yes hyperbole). Yet enough about pop.
Dark classical. So who here likes it, who is a member of our tiny but growing cult? If so what do you listen to? Why do you like it?

For me I have always liked dark music. I grew up with Kilar's Dracula ever present in my ears. A few years back I found Nox Arcana and that was the point of no return.While Nox is not 100% classical all the time it mostly is. It just clicks for me, hits exactly the right cord within me.

So, thoughts, comments, hate for not going mainstream?

Tomfoolery

Grave Guard
Apr 5, 2013
Right behind you!
If you can find it Glenn Danzigs Black Aria is phenomenal. It was a ridiculously expensive album for years but they repressed it a few years back It can be had on Amazon now for under $10. I forget the name of the album but there is also a string tribute to Tool out there as well. Very nice.

If I fall back on "classical oriented rock" there is not other replacement for The Moody Blues Days of Future Passed album. Far and away my favorite rock album.

Tomfoolery

Grave Guard
Apr 5, 2013
Right behind you!
Adam_Barrow said:
I second Danzig's outing. Really, most Danzig is the shit.

I highly + everything you just said except Black Aria II. That album is terrible.

I get down on Danzig in ways most don't. I do Misfits, Samhain, (<- both on mint state vinyl), Danzig and all of his little spin off projects.

Yea I'm a mid 30s balding punker who loves the Misfits lol.
l_efd2e4db64839d2f86e15db3ca0bd910_large.jpg

Count Lasombra

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jul 10, 2010
Memphis
I like classical as well.Tchaikovsky was the first to come to mind.I usually listen to alot of Skinny Puppy and Manson though.

Aren

Crypt Horror
Sep 22, 2010
The Hall of the Mountain King dark? It is psychotic and very grand but not really dark. Now Chopin's funeral march is. It is very melancholy (not gothic though, there is a difference)

Noobafrass

Grave Guard
Jan 1, 2012
Hey! I know this crap! I'm a Music History Major!

But how about Gorecki's "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs"?

Aren

Crypt Horror
Sep 22, 2010
Haha, well, then I'm sure you would understand that there are a multitude of different genres in classical and sorrowful is completely different to mournful which is completely different to gothic which is different from epic or neoclassical. If you want sorrowful 70% of Chopin is. Thanks for the suggestions, listening to all of them (not at once lol) keep them coming!

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
I like lots of different music but am not an expert on the topic of dark classical. I like the sound of it though. What about Ave Maria (Bach), I like it, not sure if it fits the bill of dark though?

Count Lasombra

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jul 10, 2010
Memphis
I don't know if you'd consider it gothic,or just opera,but Carmina Burana(sp?) bears mentioning.
I think of it as Epic.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Tomfoolery said:
If you can find it Glenn Danzigs Black Aria is phenomenal. It was a ridiculously expensive album for years but they repressed it a few years back It can be had on Amazon now for under $10. I forget the name of the album but there is also a string tribute to Tool out there as well. Very nice.

If I fall back on "classical oriented rock" there is not other replacement for The Moody Blues Days of Future Passed album. Far and away my favorite rock album.

I have always loved clasical music and the goose bumps it gives me, so easy to relax and let your imagination run wild.
Its probs one of the reasons i prefer some of the more modern equivelants as well where they build it into a more rock/ goth format with the errie feel that comes with.

Cheers for the info there mate, only heard it once long ago but i could never find a copy to buy, I doff my hat to you sir but my wallet will eternally curse your name. ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu