• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

The Eternal Court of the Carmine Rose

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
The Eternal Court of the Carmine Rose

Hello everyone, I am finally starting work on my Vampire Counts army after a looooong delay in finishing my Middenheimers. It'll mostly be hosted at The Herdstone (link above and in my sig) but I'll be updating things here as well. Hopefully you will see some new stuff as well as a lot of ideas borrowed / stolen from the denizens of this forum...

EDIT - added Varghulf Pics

EDIT - added Dire Wolf pics

Last edited:

Zhatan

Necromancer
Hey that's some cool old school models. I really like the base you have done for your varghulf.

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
Zhatan said:
Hey that's some cool old school models. I really like the base you have done for your varghulf.

Thanks! Sadly I decided to part with all those purple classics to fund this new project, it was a hard choice. I'm pleased you like the base, I'm very pleased with them so far.

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
Here are the first pics of my key unit concept for this army... god, I hope you like these or the whole project is DOOOOOOOMED!

Also, you can blame Seneschal, cos it's all his fault...

Dryads as Ghouls

There will be more info, WIP pics and the like in my army diary. Thanks for looking!

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Nooiceee, those look amazing; Where did you get the little roses all over? Just Greenstuff work? They look really good, what ever you're doing :pumpkin:

What is the over-all theme of the army?

Zhatan

Necromancer
I'm not sure where you are going with this army as dryads for ghouls are really different. But if it fits with the army as a whole I'm sure it will be nice.

As for the look of the dryads I think they are great. The color of the roses contrasts beautifully with the light bodies.

Really good ! The greenstuff roses are great.

The fluff of your Handmaidens is awesome. I love the plant theme with Vampires, it's exactly what I wanted to do with my army, dryads as ghouls and treemen or treekin as crypt horrors (but GW treekin are not that great).

Consider me subscribed to this thread :thumbsup:

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
That site where most of your picys is, laggs for me for some reason :( Still, all female vampy group sounds great! What bloodline will they be again? x)

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
Wow, thanks for all the comments and questions already!

Tawg, the roses are GS but are made in molds, which were made from a couple of roses my mate made from fimo clay. Still quite fiddly but easier than hand making each one.

Klenval, if you come up with a good idea for crypt horror versions of these I'd love to hear it! I'm not sure treekin / treeman models would work with roses on, maybe with climbing roses growing up them though?

Zhatan and Shareya - sorry about The Herdstone site, I have trouble getting on with IE at work, but I use Chrome at home with no problems. Here's the fluff bit for those who couldn't read it there:

...the Handmaidens of the Carmine Rose (or Bloodrose, or some such nonsense!). Fluff-wise, they are vengeful female spirits forming bodies from rose bushes. Evil, cursed, bloodrose bushes, of course!

My formative fluff has it that the Eternal Court was founded by a sorceress / necromancer seeking the secrets of eternal life AND youth. She made a discovery involving these roses and copious amounts of blood, and became my vampiric Rose Queen. (Is she still around? Will I do a model? Dunno yet!).

Over time, she sought out and was sought out by potential acolytes. Only the most brilliant and beautiful women could join the Eternal Court, failures are sacrificed to the bloodrose bushes to feed the un-lives of the vampires and provide lots of angry soldiers as an added bonus.

I hope that explains things a bit? All my vampires will be the get of the Rose Queen, my necromancers are women hoping to gain that honour. The rest of the army are their victims, slaves and creations, with the Handmaidens / ghouls most closely tied to their source of power.

In terms of bloodline, the all-female concept is very Lahmian but I've always preferred the Von Carstein "feel". I don't really see my Eternal Court as part of either - it is even possible that the Rose Queen was never a "true" vampire but has independently achieved a very similar state.

Thanks for reading - more models soon I hope.

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Shadespyre said:
Tawg, the roses are GS but are made in molds, which were made from a couple of roses my mate made from fimo clay. Still quite fiddly but easier than hand making each one.
Ah molds, I have never had a detail/decal that I needed for a group of models I didn't just have from sprues :ghost: Nice though.

Shadespyre said:
it is even possible that the Rose Queen was never a "true" vampire but has independently achieved a very similar state.
Sounds legit to me :pumpkin:

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
It's also possible that she just broke away from her Bloodline ages past and therefor it remains a mystery x) Though yeah, Lahmian then would fit the best still.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Love the story and the models very well painted and modeled.

I am gonna keep my eye upon this thread.

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
Thanks Mr Wraith, I hope I don't disappoint!

I've put an update in my army diary (link below).

It includes my increased Handmaiden unit:

and a bunch of other stuff too. Please check it out and leave comments there or here :thumbsup:

I started writing some more fluff stuff, but when it turned into rhyming couplets I decided it was time to step away from the notepad and put down the home made liqueurs!:O I'll try to bash out a more prosaic prose version over the weekend...

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
Looking pretty!

Not exactly handmaidens I would let near my vampires but ah well, some like tentacles! I understand /nodnod x) Joking, joking!

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Shareya said:
Looking pretty!

Not exactly handmaidens I would let near my handmaidens but ah well, some like tentacles! I understand /nodnod x) Joking, joking!
Those aren't tentacles, those are rape-y trees, like from Evil Dead!

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
Tentacles, roots! All the same O_O

Also damn I made a silly typo there-... /goes to edit

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Code:
Those aren't tentacles, those are rape-y trees, like from Evil Dead!
Mahahahah nailed it! xD

Code:
Tentacles, roots! All the same neutral
As long as your vampires don't dress in school girl dresses and have cute big eyes, no need to worry :perv:

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Awesome work Shadespyre. Loving the handmaidens :thumbsup:

I really like the sound of this army/theme. A little similar to my own in some ways, in that I also have a lot of lovely ladies in my army, plus a good deal of dryad and forest themed stuff. I look forward to seeing how this PLOG develops.

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
Thanks Robiton, I'm really taken with the atmospheric theme you've got going. I think there may be some more similarities come up, but at the moment the rest of my army will move more mainstream while I think yours will stay weird and creepy...

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
As long as your vampires don't dress in school girl dresses and have cute big eyes, no need to worry
Lahmians come pretty close ._. Okey, okey enough silly spamm from me! Keep up the good work!

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
I promised you fluff didn't I? That was daft of me... okay, I'll write some...

Fragments from the unfinished manuscript "Oral Histories of the Wood Elves", by Johann Greenmantle of the Jade Order

...in the Elder Days, the Asrai wandered far and wide across Elthin-Arvan. Amongst one of the many kinbands there was a sorceress named Orelinde, who was as beautiful as she was talented. All year she was devoted to her folk. every winter she would spend deep in the study of her arts. but when spring came she would leave her work and wander far and wide, taking a child-like delight in the season of regrowth. She would be gone for weeks or a month, dancing in glades where no-one had ever stood, picking flowers unseen by elf or man, and singing to trees that had never before heard a voice. And her kin did not seek to restrain her, for no beast would harm her, no berry could ail her, and no accidental wound was beyond her power to heal. And in those days there was far less evil in the woods. As the days lengthened into summer, they would wait for her return, and she would come back to them with new songs, new plants and renewed vigour for her responsibilities. And her kin loved her, and they called her The Rose of Spring, and for many, many years they flourished together.

And then, one spring, as she dallied in a sunny glade, she was set upon by horned beasts. At first, she sought to merely scare them away, and then to just fend them off, thinking them to be just some strange and starving animal. But she was soon aware of the taint of Chaos in these strange man-beasts, and threw her sorcery into slaying them outright. And still she felt in little danger, protected from their teeth and claws by coiling vine and thorny branch which she commanded from the ground and woods around her.

But then she felt a new, dark presence, and the man-beasts withdrew, and a new foe came upon her. And she could feel the power of dark magic as the skull-crowned aberration turned its hate against her. Decay and death and strangely twisted, writhing growths spewed from it, and she had to redouble her defences as the plants withered and died almost as fast as she could bring them to life.

And so they struggled and fought. Spell against spell. Vine and thorn and staff and blade against tentacle and tooth and claw and horn. The power of life and light against the power of death and chaos. And they each were stabbed and torn and cut, but their magic healed their wounds anew. And such was the magic of their battle that where drops of Orelinde's blood fell amongst the plants and soil, red roses budded and bloomed, and where her adversary bled coloured flame erupted and the ground writhed and shifted as if in pain.

Slowly at first, and then ever more quickly, Orelinde realised she would not prevail, for rather than just destroying her plants, the beast-thing was warping them and taking them over. The very earth on which she stood and from where her power flowed was being injured and corrupted by its power and its blood, so that it was harder and harder for her to renew her spells. And beyond the battle, a ring of beastmen gathered baying and braying in the fading daylight, blocking her escape.

Summoning her whole strength, she unleashed a final spell. Green fire bathed the clearing in emerald light as a searing ray flew from her, blasting clean through her enemy and across the glade, leaving scorch marks on a mighty tree there. With a howl, the beast disintegrated into nothingness. Dismayed and angered, its followers rushed at Orelinde, tearing through the walls of thorns to reach her. But she was already dead, and her spirit flown away.

When midsummer came, her kinband came looking for her. The Nymraif tracked her through the forests, and finally found her body lying amongst a thicket of red roses. And they wept for her death, and they wept for their loss, and they wept in anger and disgust at the horrors visited upon her body by the beastmen. And so they left the glade never to return, and took her back to her kin, and their mourning was long, and their vengeances bloody....

What's that? You wanted Vampire Counts fluff? Oh, sorry....

I might have to come back and edit this, as I've just written it on the fly!

Comments, criticisms, speculations, all welcome...

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Love it :happy: Very nicely written :thumbsup:

So are these the roses that ended up as the Bloodroses? Don't see why not as it would tie in well it seems.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
I love the handmaidens, though they do remind me of some vampiric roses the wifes elf character tangled with once. Think I may borrow this idea.... :devil2:

Seriously though, excellent work!

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
That was a nice little story :) Neat job! It's nice ( and bit rare) to see so much fluff to go with someones army.

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
I'm glad you liked my little tale, the idea just popped into my head and needed to be written down. I'm very much influenced by Tolkien's mythology (as is Warhammer) and that means Elves in the history of everything! Obviously, it's really a tale about Wood Elves and the mutated Beastman character Morghur, who I recently painted for my Beastman army.

@robtion - "So are these the roses that ended up as the Bloodroses?" Well, yes, I think so. Although I think Odelinde died millenia ago - probably before the Wood Elf realm of Athel Loren was formally established, so we are talking about 5000 years, judging from the Wood Elf army book. So we may never know for sure.

My next tale of the Eternal Court will probably be much more modern, as I start to think about the character models I want to use. There is always friction between how a model looks, how a character functions in the game, and their narrative which is sometimes difficult to resolve but can also help the creative process. More than my other projects, I think the Eternal Court will contain some characters that make the army work in the game, and some who support the story and might not appear on a battlefield.

Oh, there has been a little modelling progress - here are my prototype shields, which will dominate the look of the army:

Check out the link below for more bits and bobs. Thanks for looking!