• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

The Fleshy Flesh Court of Flesh-Eaters (plus other undead!)

I have been an active VC/Undead/Death player for several years. I enjoy making proxies and conversions, and (though it has been a long road) I also enjoy painting now as well.

The new Flesh-Eater Courts Battletome has motivated me to finally embrace the ghouls I have been neglecting. In the past I enjoyed an ugly blob of 30 Mantic ghouls and 8 proxy Horrors, along with an ugly old Terrorgheist (my first big model) for 8th edition. I'm breatihng new (un)life into these old models and adding to them with new flesh-eaters. With custom poses and Mantic heads I am starting to actually really dig the GW ghouls. I am very excited for this new army.

Here is the first preview of what I have been working on:

I have a million undead models, a lot of cool stuff I've made but my focus for now are the Flesh-Eaters - so this blog will be dedicated to them.

Last edited:

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@EternallyUndying: Those are lovely :happy:

Never thought ghouls could look so good with such a standard skin colours. It's almost always blue, green or extremely pale that you see. These are different. I quite like the head swaps too. Personally I quite like the GW heads and never thought of using mantic ones, but this look great, especially the one you've chosen for your avatar.

Do you think we could get some close ups? The Strigoi vamp in the background is looking really cool, as is that big brute.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
These are indeed very cool! Also, I don't think I've seen GW ghoul bodies with Mantic heads ;) Their bloody hands are very well done, the bases suit them and red eyes are a cool accent. Nicely done scavengers :) Also, seconding, some closeups on the flying vampire and that hulking monstrosity would be cool.

That first image was just a preview.

Here is my Ghoul King:

Here he is with his royal court:

The Crypt Horror is one of 10 so I'm going to wait until he has the rest of his crew before I show him off.

I use standard GW flesh colors; Bugmans Glow, Cadian Fleshtone, Kislev Fleshtone and Reikland Fleshshade (wash). I like to mix Kislev to be even lighter because I want them to have a creepy pale look. I use several washes after I'm done painting for blood, mud and bruising. I'm working on a step by step set of images for a Terrorgheist I'm painting which will show my process for skin and bone.

Last edited:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Your vampire is terrific - properly Strigoi ;) And those wings are a masterpiece - I love how they are darker where closer to the 'hand' - and that 'not 100% smooth' blending really gives him a realistic, fleshy feel :thumbsup:

Sorry - got distracted, I painted the Knight Questor for Silver Tower and got super motivated to get back into painting my Stormcast. I'm almost done with my terrorgheist project I'll be posting that soon.

I played my first game with the FE-Courts, man they are pretty crazy. My Abhorrant on Tgheist ate half of an empire army. His spell is crazy, plus D3 healing and insane power. I thought the scream was a big nerf but honestly its still strong and the Tgheist is no longer a scream machine, hes all about eating big chunks out of armies.

The flayers are great, I just took 3 of them and they really ripped it up. Ghouls just keep coming back with the courtier. The terrorgheist and flayers can burst up quickly and take all the attention while the horrors and ghouls walk their way up, then by the time they get into combat, its all over.

Last edited:
TERRORGHEIST TUTORIAL
This was an interesting project for me, because I bought the Terrorgheist pre-assembed.
Usually I carefully build my own models, most often with customization and kit bashes.
My first Terrorgheist was one of my first models, and poorly painted.
I finally like painting to the point where I look forward to painting a pre-assembled model.

For this model I decided to take a lot of pics to show the progress.

First, I prime. Usually I stick to black.

Then, I like to do a nice watery thin base-coat. Extra watery so I don't have to worry about muddling any details. Unfortunately I don't have an airspray, so I use this technique for base-coating.

I wanted this to be a bright pale skin tone, so I started with Cadian Fleshtone (instead of Bugmans Glow).

Washing the model (Reikland Fleshshade)

Layering (Cadian Fleshtone).
You can probably do it quickly with drybrushing.
I prefer to avoid drybrushing, as it tends to leave dusty, thicker paint.
Even so, all techniques have their place. Here I drybrushed the wings.
The rest was layered. Layering provides more control so I stick to it when I can.

Base Coating the muscle parts (Mephiston Red)

Basecoating "Fur" (Eshin Grey, darkened with Black)

Basecoating Bone. For Bone I prefer Rakarth Flesh.
The red was also washed with Agrax, and the fur with Nuln.

I like the dirty look of bone when Rakarth is washed with Agrax

I carefully layered Kislev Flesh over the skin

Re-applying layers of Mephiston Red, I brought the red back up.

Hes pretty much table ready, but I have a ways to go to completion..

Here I layered thin layers of Ushtabi Bone and glued him on his base

A back view

I used Druchii Violet wash to create bruised wings. I often use washes at late stages to create special effects.
Here I also applied Evil Sunz Scarlet to bring up the red, and used Screaming Skull on the teeth.

In the final stages I did several layering. First I used Screaming Skull to bring up the bone. I used Dawnstone and Administratum Grey on the fur to bring it out, and drybrushing the same colors on the rocks. I washed the wings in more Druchii, and added a bit of Xereus Purple to deepen the purples. Then I drybrushed Cadian on the ends of the wings to create more of a transition. I added Pallid Wych Flesh to the teeth to make them pop more, and a few other minor areas.

All that is left is some minor clean-up, and the basing stage.

I have a lot of other cool stuff to come.

Last edited:

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
I'm moving this to the Dead Shall Walk since it is looking more and more like a plog.

On topic. I can't believe I missed this Terrorgheist tutorial! Great stuff. Really like the purple touch to it all.

The display cabinet look cool, nice little diorama. The order force looks really well painted, do you think we could have some close ups? Maybe even another plog in faces of Our Next Meal?

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Outstanding work on the Terrorgheist. The colours and shading you've chosen are excellent in my opinion. I'm ;looking forward to seeing how the Zombie Dragon turns out.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
That's a very nice reposing of the Zombie Dragon, and the arms do a lot for it as well. Where are they from?

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Great conversion! Those hands fit him quite well - these are from a Dark Elf dragon, aren't they? New horns are even better though - they look better than the original, awesome! They are from a Vermin Lord? Also, armoured strigoi is always a good option :)

@Borgnine
Yes you are right. When I bought a Warpfire dragon I thought it was silly they included half a black dragon, so I ordered the other half, and then I had extra limbs. Originally I wanted to use all four of them, but the trouble of how to get it on a base would be two much, so I stuck with ZD legs for sanity.

I don't mind the ZD horns, but I wanted to make it a bit more unique. Originally I had hoped to use the "rotten" horns of a verminlord corruptor, but their curves made them kind of look like ears, so I went with the Verminlord Warbringer horns instead.

The armored abhorrent works with my theme a bit, I have some armored courtiers. The idea is to put them in rusted armor but they think its golden shining armor. I much prefer the sitting pose to the "running" pose of the abhorrent. The cool thing is he is interchangeable with the Terrorgheist as well:

I finally finished 20 ghouls .. 30 more to go. Going to try to do at least one a day. I also primed the dragon.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
A very impressive in game photo. Your Ghouls certainly look the part, especially in those eerie looking ruins, while the dragon looks fantastic.

I'm just starting a Flesh Eater Courts army myself, and this plog is really inspiring stuff!! It all looks good but that Terrorgheist is absolutely mind blowing! Such clean, crisp work and some outstanding colour choices! Thanks for sharing.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Good to see them in action! Are you planning to show us those Mantic Plague monsters up close? :)