• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Cthulhu

Grave Guard
Jan 22, 2012
Hello everyone!

So I got the email announcement and remembered what a lovely place this forum was! I've been sort of out of the hobby for a while, since around the launch of AoS I suppose, but I kept an eye on what was happening... I was really tempted by the Nighthaunt and Ossiarch releases, but never pulled the trigger. When the Soulblight range dropped, I couldn't resist anymore😄

I sold all my old VC models years ago, so it's a fresh start for me. The idea for my army is a twisted vision of a noble's hunting party of knights and their trusty beasts out on a leisure hunt in the woods of the castle grounds, so thinking mostly blood knights and dire wolves. The first models I painted was the Underworlds warband, which will represent some of the highest ranking knights in my vampire lord's court. Let's see if I'm smart enough to work out how to post pictures...
crimsoncourt1.JPG
crimsoncourt2.JPG

Super fun models to paint!
I'm working on some blood knights next, and I'm also thinking about lore for the army. Might write something down eventually. As for the vampire lord of the title, Wilhelmina, I have a Lauka Vai conversion in mind for her...

Such fun to be posting on a forum again!

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
Welcome back Cthulhu!

Really liking the theme for your army, as I am a sucker for both Blood Knights and all things wolfy. 😁
The models are exquisite! Especially liking the armour and cloth all around. It's hard to chose what I like best but it's probably Prince Duvalle's black armour with magenta blends & highlights. Any tips on how you accomplished that/what paints did you use?

Looking forward to those Blood Knights and the rest of the gang. 🙂

Reactions: Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Grave Guard
Jan 22, 2012
Many thanks Unas, Raven and Robtion!!

For the black/magenta armour! I used a zenithal prime, so black undercoat dusted with white from above, to get brighter highlights and darker shadows more easily. Then I think it was mostly a lot of back and forth between black and process magenta. I like to use artist's acrylics because they list the pigments used in the paint, so you can get one that has only one, pure, pigment. Gives stronger saturation and cleaner mixes than paints with a blend of pigments. They also tend to use standardized names so you can get for example process magenta from any of the artist paint makers. I also used citadel contrast Shyish purple to boost the saturation of the black (so not really using it as a contrast paint, just glazing it on in controlled amounts where desired) and added some bone white to the magenta for the sharpest points.

Still working on the blood knights, such cool detailed models. Also began writing some background lore, haven't done that for my projects before but it's really getting me invested in it! But I wrapped up something else; a trio of feral vampires overcome by their thirst during the hunt! I didn't buy Cursed City, but I picked up the bloodborn and vargskyr from Bits and Kits. Really enjoyed painting these three, kinda wish there was a full kit of like 10 of them😄
bloodborn1.jpg
bloodborn2.JPG
bloodborn3.JPG

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
Thanks for the writeup Cthulhu! Great work on the Blood-born as well, really liking your choice of colours all around.

Also, I loved your dioramas back in the day...has the Tilean town one ever been finished?

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
They look great. Very wild/savage looking. They would fit nicely into my evil forest theme.

You should definitely write some background lore, I do a lot of that in my plog and find it fun but it also gives me ideas for adding extra details when painting miniatures.

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011
Hello there fellow re-summoned! I really love the darker skin-tones you are using. Also the cloaks are smooth as gravesand.

Loki Ragnarok

Zombie
Sep 10, 2021
This is beautiful. I'm usually not one for the blue or more "weird" skin color for vampires, but you really made it work and it is wonderful to see some awesome, really colorful undead. That seems rare.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu