• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

The Legend of the Cannibals

---the Howls of the Ghouls

So, finally I have had some time and I used that to paint some on my new project - a VC army based around an "African"/Cannibal/voodoo theme. So, much ghouls...

Here is the first horde, more or less, and some characters:

Ghoul Horde

Vampire Lord, "Glittering" Scales and fighty stuff

Wight BSB

Necromancer

Winged Vampire

Lycni Vampire

So, I am going to get some grass on the characters, of course, and try and see if I can get the eyes better here and there. Otherwise, well, yeah, this is how they will look, pretty much.

(oh, and with the camera I'm using, I just cant get better pictures. Will see if I can find a better one later, and maybe better light too...)

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Yeah, better camera or pics would be great. Those look really nice, so I'm sure better pics would make everything look even better. That's certainly a unique army (or start of one). I will be watching this one.

Welcome to the forum :D

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Fantastic, really like the idea and the fact you have implemented it so well. All the models really fit well together, and you have painted on the skull parts perfectly. Look forward to seeing what you do next.

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Welcome to the site.

Love your theme. Hats off to you, sir.

Cheers, D.

Nice.... I really like the overall theme going on here.

Know what you need though?

Pygmies...... Zombie pygmies. Nuff' said. ;)

Mr Saturday

Vampire Count
True Blood
Excellent theme, I love it. I had actually considered something very similar for my own ghouls, but it didn't fit with my own theme. You've done a cracking job. I particularly like your bsb.

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
Wow very impressive. What a fantastic army theme. A very macabre yet very refreshing looking VC army. I love the scheme and the colours. Excellent stuff. Can we have some clearer photos? Try taking your pictures from urther away if the resolution can cope.

What did you use as your references? Was it a specific tribe in general?

Keep it coming, I like....:perv:

Cheers,

u_m

Thanks all.

Glad to see you like it. I really like it myself, if I may be so humble... Although I appreciate the traditional vampire approach, I also like to see some variations. And I'm glad I can contribute...

As I said, I will try and get some better pictures in better light. I did have a older camera that used to do rather good pictures, but then I got a new one and I have just don't figured it out yet...

Dark Rose said:
Know what you need though?

Pygmies...... Zombie pygmies. Nuff' said. ;)
Awesome. Actually, I have been thinking of pygmies, but never as zombies. Now I know what to do with them. Great. Thanks.

Although I'll probably call them tokoloshies (small [evil] spirits - as the whole rotten bodies don't fit in well in my theme - and only use them as summoned models, and not in the armylist.

untitled_musketeer said:
What did you use as your references? Was it a specific tribe in general?
Nah, not really. I have been looking on a lot of pictures of various tribes and cultures, but in the end I mostly just wing it. As you can see it both have west african influences aswell as more Haitian Voodoo stuff. Works all right in my mind, but I have gotten some critique for it. No matter though, I like it, and feel it fits alright together. None of it exist in the warhammer world as such either, so I have pretty much free reign to make up my own stuff.

As a side note, I have found a model to use as a Baron Samedi to, for the times I want a more caster lord.

----

No more pics at the moment - maybe something tomorrow - but if you have suggestions or ideas (like the zombie pygmies) then feel free to suggest away.

Again, thanks for all the nice words and encouragement.

Ooooohhh!! xD

I know some other figures that would be great here too. Instead of Dire Wolves.... Wait for it........ How about crazed war baboons?

Wizards of the Coast had some for their Chainmail game a while back... They're OOP but turn up available on eBay now and again.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg716.imageshack.us%2Fimg716%2F2356%2Fwarapea.jpg&hash=9f123aacdac73596ecca7ec3926721a3
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg192.imageshack.us%2Fimg192%2F5003%2Fwarapeb.jpg&hash=9eee6313023c6805a7cf1eca4790e342

There's just nothing like evil monkeys to make your whole day complete. So darn cool. :cool:

That is very nice, Dark Rose. I'll be sure having an eye out for them. Would be extremely cool, actually.

I was thinking of having hyenas, but that idea might just be so cool I have to go with it.

As for monkeys - or apes - you could maybe start suspect what I have in plan for the Varghulf xD

Perhaps instead of a necromancer you could use a houngan or bokor.. maybe even with some sacrificial chickens (unfortunately I wouldn't know where to get them)?
Nice theme at any rate!

Hyenas, eh? Those could be really cool stand ins for Dire Wolves too.... and they reminded me of these....

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg560.imageshack.us%2Fimg560%2F1769%2Ftabanlycals.jpg&hash=a8007535e4dfc1da0e75bb5cf84e5a2e

Done by Taban for their post-apocalyptic Eden game, but they certainly look like demonically possessed hyenas to this lady. Might be just what you want.

I've looked at them a couple of times myself... but never could come up with a good excuse to buy them.

Abbysal

Crypt Horror
Such a beautiful and original theme, absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to see what you decide to do for the rest of your army. I will be on the edge of my seat awaiting developements.:zombie:

@ Count Lasombra: I usually get Taban stuff from FRP Games here in the US or from ebay sellers. They have their own web-store but I've never tried to get them from there yet.

Vultures! yep.... I second those as great replacements for regular bat swarms. And as it happens, GW does some for Warmaster (supposed to be carrion, but without wraith riders, they look like perfectly scaled undead vultures to this lady....) :thumbsup:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg253.imageshack.us%2Fimg253%2F6249%2Fgwvultures.jpg&hash=009cc00c8d384ba99704de486641bbe1

Dark Rose said:
Hyenas, eh? Those could be really cool stand ins for Dire Wolves too.... and they reminded me of these....

Done by Taban for their post-apocalyptic Eden game, but they certainly look like demonically possessed hyenas to this lady. Might be just what you want.

I've looked at them a couple of times myself... but never could come up with a good excuse to buy them.
They are really nice, yes. And as I have a couple of Eden/Taban stuff alreay, they'll probably fit nicely. We'll see, maybe I pick some of them up.

untitled_musketeer said:
Hey, just thought of some model ideas.

I thought you might like these to add to your ranks as cannibals:

[stuff]

Just some ideas anyway.
Great suggestions. I have in fact been thinking of just about every one of them, and I'm glad to see you think it will fit too. The Hyenas are nice, I think, and if I wont go with the taban-suggestion above, I might go for these.

The pygmies are a given I think, as pygmie zombies/tokoloshies.

The masai as Grave Guards. Not with GW though, but hey, I'm not in it for the win, but for the looks. And I want those shields :)

As for the witchdoctors - I'm thinking Wraiths? The fluff could be something like them being in the spirit world, and drawing powers from the ancenstors? That could explain the +2 S from the Scythes, without having them...maybe. And to justify them striking last, maybe adding in a line about the ancestors powers are very hard for a physical body to carry, so they are slow to use them... Or something.

And for a banshee, use an appropriate witchdoctor and say he is being possesed with a spirit...

I think for the Varghulf that I found a nice model already. A big ass Gorilla from Reaper, with some modifications, would rock, I think...

Maybe?

Count Lasombra said:
You can get chickens from megaminiatures.com ;)
He, I'm sure to check it out.

And I found my taban stuff at Maelstrom games. Maybe don't have everything there, but there seems to be quite a bit at least.

Dark Rose said:
Vultures! yep.... I second those as great replacements for regular bat swarms. And as it happens, GW does some for Warmaster (supposed to be carrion, but without wraith riders, they look like perfectly scaled undead vultures to this lady....) :thumbsup:
Both suggestions looks nice. However, I'm thinking of the new Dark Eldar stuff, the razorwings (I think they are called)... Maybe use them?

-----

Thanks all for your help and appreciating word, it really keeps me motivated. I will continue with this as soon as some money and time comes around again. I sort of promised you something for yesterday, but I had to participate in some heavy wine drinking instead... (Yes yes, I know, but I actually drink...wine.)

Hopefully not in too far a future I'll have more time though.

And I think I will have something nice and big to show in just a couple of days, as I'm working on something special...

So, not really anything for the tribe of cannibals, but maybe I get the Forbidden Lore and opt for the Beast lore. Then it can come in handy:

So, what do you think?

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
Oh my god it's...a...Mountain Chimera...... :O

Very impressive work! All of the fur is expertly done, it looks as though your model is actually hairy. Great stuff!

Abbysal

Crypt Horror
That's a fantastic model, I love the scorpion hind quarters.

Where might someone purchase one of these bad boys? Have you thought about using it as a mount, maybe an AT?:zombie:

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
Looks way too big to be an abyssal terror :zombie: i would like to know where you got that too :tongue: