• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

The new guy

Greetings Carpe Noctem!
I came to this forum because, while I have been a WH40K player for about four years now, I have only recently begun to get into WHFB. (A shame I'm late. I heard that everything was really cool up until The End Times happened. :()

Anyway, I am new to this site and WHFB in general.
I've decided to make the Vampire Counts and Skaven my main armies (at least in terms of roleplay, I was too late for any actual gaming outside of The 9th Age).
Of course, this being the Vampire Counts forum, I decided here would be a perfect place to get help with the former!

I've familiarized myself with some of the lore, but I'm still more-or-less confused about some things, and I would like to get some assistance or tips for creating my own Bloodline (assuming Bloodlines are individual armies, please correct me if I am mistaken).

Thanks!

Welcome aboard!

Now, i cannot help you too much with 8th or 9th, as I play AoS... and my undead experience with oldhammer (7th-8th) was limited to Tomb Kings, so when i played VC I was on the wrong side of the table. :tongue:

That said, you will find plenty of advices in the forum sub-section named "the world that was and other worlds".
Have a nice stay!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Hey there @_topside_ , welcome to the forum!

Even if this place got a little quiter than in the times before the End Times and AoS, there are still plenty of friendly people who know the tactics, lore and everything you'll need to know to get started.
As for the Bloodlines, those are specific kinds of vampires in the Warhammer Setting and there are 5 of them. Blood Dragons are vampiric knights clad in plate armor, focused on martial prowess, close combat, not using magic that much. Their 'opposite' are the Necrarchs, who specialize in magic - they are often kinda like necromantic 'mad scientists' of the setting. Then, there are the Lahmians, mostly women who focus on infiltrating the human society, seducing the powerful and controlling everything behind the curtains. On the battlefield they tend to be fragile and prefer using undead of the non-smelly variety. The fourth clan are the monstrous Strigoi, who got mutated and can no longer imitate humans - they are hang out with the ghouls on the graveyards. The last one are the von Carsteins which excel at nothing but also aren't bad at anything too, your 'standard', 'mainline' vampires.

Now, creating your own is possible of course, this is your army after all, but then it won't be keeping up with the lore as much. Those bloodlines are pretty well-defined and older editions of WFB and 9th Age give player incentives to keep your army a single bloodline. In 8th edition they stopped doing that, but there was a wide selection of powers - you could easily fashion your vampires to fit one of the older bloodlines but you could also mix and match those to create something unique. People create their own Space Marines chapters, why not make your own vampires, if the rules can accomodate that? ;)

Still, if you want to keep your army focused on one of those bloodlines, then that's awesome too - then you can build your army to reflect that. As @Unas the slayer mentioned already, you can visit 'The world that was and other worlds" to get some help getting started ;)

Welcome aboard!

Now, i cannot help you too much with 8th or 9th, as I play AoS... and my undead experience with oldhammer (7th-8th) was limited to Tomb Kings, so when i played VC I was on the wrong side of the table. :tongue:

That said, you will find plenty of advices in the forum sub-section named "the world that was and other worlds".
Have a nice stay!
Thank you!
And thank you for the direction!

Hey there @_topside_ , welcome to the forum!

Even if this place got a little quiter than in the times before the End Times and AoS, there are still plenty of friendly people who know the tactics, lore and everything you'll need to know to get started.
As for the Bloodlines, those are specific kinds of vampires in the Warhammer Setting and there are 5 of them. Blood Dragons are vampiric knights clad in plate armor, focused on martial prowess, close combat, not using magic that much. Their 'opposite' are the Necrarchs, who specialize in magic - they are often kinda like necromantic 'mad scientists' of the setting. Then, there are the Lahmians, mostly women who focus on infiltrating the human society, seducing the powerful and controlling everything behind the curtains. On the battlefield they tend to be fragile and prefer using undead of the non-smelly variety. The fourth clan are the monstrous Strigoi, who got mutated and can no longer imitate humans - they are hang out with the ghouls on the graveyards. The last one are the von Carsteins which excel at nothing but also aren't bad at anything too, your 'standard', 'mainline' vampires.

Now, creating your own is possible of course, this is your army after all, but then it won't be keeping up with the lore as much. Those bloodlines are pretty well-defined and older editions of WFB and 9th Age give player incentives to keep your army a single bloodline. In 8th edition they stopped doing that, but there was a wide selection of powers - you could easily fashion your vampires to fit one of the older bloodlines but you could also mix and match those to create something unique. People create their own Space Marines chapters, why not make your own vampires, if the rules can accomodate that? ;)

Still, if you want to keep your army focused on one of those bloodlines, then that's awesome too - then you can build your army to reflect that. As @Unas the slayer mentioned already, you can visit 'The world that was and other worlds" to get some help getting started ;)
Thank you for welcoming me!
And alas, it does appear that this forum is rather sleepy and quiet, which is alright with me. But I'm sure that the End Times and AoS didn't really help either.
F*ck you GW and Nagash!

A shame I got into Fantasy this late, because it looks like there was a lot of cool things within it and I more-or-less just missed them. Oh well... :'(

And thank you for clearing up the Bloodlines, that actually does help. I've run about the Warhammer Fantasy wiki and 1d4chan researching both of the armies I like and would play (Vampire Counts and Skaven woot!) but I was still confused about them. But I shouldn't really be surprised, considering that people warn you before getting into Warhammer Fantasy/Warhammer 40k lore because of just how much stuff there is to cover. (Although I've been a 40k fan for a while now, so I'm used to digging through books and websites for hours to learn the lore.)

Anyway, I was thinking of creating my own Bloodline because none of the "canon" Bloodlines really fit what I was wanting to roleplay with, however I do see that the mechanics do tend to favor making your army a single "canon" Bloodline. A shame to me, because, at least for me, one of the biggest appeals of the Warhammer settings is creating your own army/faction and writing up their lore, essentially making a part of yourself within these (utterly terrifying) universes. I guess some things from 40k carried over while I am getting into WHFB, such 40k heavily encourages one to make their own army, but also welcomes the use of "canon" armies. I guess I was just under an assumption.
But if the lore and rules do allow me to create my own Bloodline, I see no reason why I should not!

Anyway, I will check out The World that Was and Other Worlds, because I guess I can get help over understanding the "canon" Bloodlines and narrow down what I'd want my own to focus on. xD

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Welcome to the forum :).

There is certainly scope for you to work on bloodline, as GW only ever covered the main ones. There are all kinds of other vampires and covens that could potentially be explored, so hopefully you will find a niche which piques your interest.