• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Aren

Crypt Horror
Sep 22, 2010
Scarborough
(Dynasty name pending, I'll update as soon as I think of something suitably cool)

I am back!

It's been too long and it's heart-warming to see this forum resurrected* for the release of Soulblight Gravelords!
Around 5 years ago this was my go-to forum for all things Warhammer but with the release of AoS and the subsequent lack of Vampire Counts support my enthusiasm for the army died down.
I won't go into a full explanation but suffice to say I felt that the soul of the army got hollowed out in the transition leaving behind husks of rules which were written purely to make the current models playable and not for any love of the faction.

However - Soulblight Gravelords!

I feel like the faction spirit has returned. Sure, it's not quite Vampire Counts and we're missing some customisation. However, undoubtedly, it is the vampire faction.

The book is ace, the rules are decent and those models.... those models!

In short - the beat of motivation is drumming its rhythm once again.

So, this shall be the painting log for the as of yet unnamed dynasty.
I will be taking inspiration from the work of Zdislaw Beksinsky, a fellow countryman, whose work is shown below and who for me evokes a unique mood of bleakness, despair and apocalyptic landscapes.

In particular for my skeletons I will be leaning heavily on this painting:

1627483437267.png

I am trying for something a bit more surreal than usually seen in miniature painting (which I think leans towards realism) while also trying to remain grounded enough that models and their weapons/armour etc are easily recognisable.
My approach will also be to spend a reasonable amount of time on each unit but not so much where it becomes a grind. I'd like to paint a whole army after all. However, I will be spending additional time on some favourite models and important pieces
such as vampire lords, monsters, blood knight units. We'll see if I manage that, usually I am a bit too ambitious and lose steam halfway through, hopefully that won't happen here.

Wish me luck!

* I'm not even going to apologise for the puns at this point, would be a futile effort

Aren

Crypt Horror
Sep 22, 2010
Scarborough
10 skeletons are done!

_20210728_151618.JPG

I've managed to keep the time down to needing 3-4 evenings for the unit of 10 which for me is a reasonably quick painting time.
I think they're decent, not exactly what I was going for but I cut some corners to save time.
A lot the cloth was done using contrasts, "staining" it until the right colour was achieved.

I used cork for the bases and then a 3D printed tile set on top of that, took a bit of work but I'm happy with the results.

Apologies for the shoddy camera work, I realise some are out of focus - I'll get around to doing some proper pictures when I can figure out how to do so xD

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
Welcome back Aren!

Yup, you are not alone in that path, but now we are back, and it's time to rise once more! 😁

I am really looking forward to your army, as I'm familiar with Beksinski to an extent (and quite like his work), I am expecting something really interesting and twisted. He used to have a really great website some 15 years ago, with an appropriately eerie and disturbing music and design...shame it doesn't seem to exist anymore (for those unfamiliar - some photos can still be seen here - Behance - Jarek Kubicki - Zdzislaw Beksinski official website 2003)

Onto the models, I like pretty much everything on them! The contrast staining on the cloth and the resulting camo effect looks great. The metal with those highlighting lines looks really effective and the bases add a fitting atmosphere to the whole unit. Top notch!

Keep it coming, and good luck! 🙂

Cthulhu

Grave Guard
Jan 22, 2012
Glad your enthusiasm is back! What an awesome artwork to take inspiration from, and the skellies look ace.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu