• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Thinking of dipping my toes into 6th...

bigbadbat

Harbinger of Dandelions
True Blood
Howdy all!

No stranger here on the Carpe Noctem, thought I'd reach out and ask a few questions about 6th edition as I've yet to read a lick of the new rules or play a single game of 40k since 6th came out.

I started a Dark Eldar force when the new range and codex came out and played them religiously until the dawn of 6th ed. I also played CSM and Tau prior to collecting DE.

So.... with the new Tau codex on the the horizon, my interest is once again piqued in 40k. I have been painting a bit here and there on my DE because I'm in love with the models.
I'll for sure be picking up the new Tau codex when it's released, but my questions are about the general playstyle of 6th ed.
I ran an all out Wyche cult in 5th - Wyches in raiders, venoms, small Incubi unit, and jetbikes- 2 or 3 units of them! Along with RW and a few Ravs.
What do the DE look like in 6th? It seems armor has taken a back seat a bit. (Again, oblivious to anything related to 6th ed. rules)
How have the Tau looked in 6th? I know this will change with the Codex.
Allies?????

Thanks and look forward to contributing to this part of the forum soon and often!

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Ultimately, there's no substitute for learning the 6ed rules for yourself. What I can tell you is that Wyches are pretty much useless in 6ed, mine have been gathering dust ever since the first days of the current edition. It's not like they were all that great in 5ed either, but the addition of overwatch was basically the deathblow for them. Razorwing Jetfighters(if that's what you were referring to by 'RW') are also now no longer the awesome alpha strike vehicles they used to be, and are simply meh. Incubi are still alright though, but Beastmaster Packs are much better now as their threat range is a lot more consistent, and they have the bodies/wounds to absorb overwatch. Adding Craftworld Eldar as allies has greatly improved their standing as far as the meta goes though.

As for the Tau, big changes are in the making. That should come as no surprise though, as the current and soon to be replaced codex is already 7 years old. They are definitely still a shooty army, but how the old playstyles(Mech vs Static and all that) evolve and/or what new archetypes emerge from the new codex will only be seen when the dust settles many weeks from now.

the hidden one

Streets Ahead
I love sixth so far and it is a nice change from mech-spam. Warriors are still pretty good, as are ravagers, but with vehicles on the decline, they are less effective. Jetbikes are very good with a 5+ cover for moving and turbo boosting for a better save, while still killing people with bladevanes. Assault took a hit, so wyches are worse, and with no more charging out of open top vehicles and no more fleet making charges after running you will be shot and killed before you charge. Allies are cool, and I played against a really cool army yesterday with pathfinders and mandrakes. I slaughtered it, but it was a really cool themed army of fallen pathfinders and chaotic daemons of mandrakes.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
6th is simply the edition of flyers.
Now at the moment as the tau flyer is only armour 11/10/10 you want to be looking at Broad Side anti air.

Razor Wings are not as good but still decent.
Venom's pilled with dark lance and high strength weaponry is the current meta for DE and is working quite well.

So really if I was you and doing an allied list I would go with Tau as the long ranged Fire Support high strength with Dark Eldar being the surgical blade and objective holders.
They compliment each other well currently and with the changes I am hoping more so but we will just have to wait and see.

bigbadbat

Harbinger of Dandelions
True Blood
Dang. My wyche cult did very well in 5th. I can see with overwatch and not assaulting from vehicles that they are rubbish now, tis a shame.
On a positive note, Tau codex is out tomorrow!

xFallenx

Grave Guard
I have my first 40K game(I did play one in 4th, so that's not 100% accurate) lined up for Sunday. I have a SoB force with GK inquisitors as allies, fliers really worry me so I may dump the inq and opt for a quad gun or some such. I'll have a better idea once I get the game in.
Do you have one lined up yet? I'd be interested to hear how it went.

bigbadbat

Harbinger of Dandelions
True Blood
I've truly lost count of many games of 40k I've played over the years. My pattern is to play something else whenever a new edition is released. Im fortunate to be able to pick up a game whenever I choose as there is a privately owned gaming shop within half an hour of my home as well as many others nearby. Just haven't made the plunge yet. Not sure I will, maybe just sell my armies off.
We'll see what the Tau codex has to say as Im not too find of flying around in venoms or raiders with Trueborn and Warriors pew pewing around. I really liked closing in with my wyches, incububi, and jetbikes and cutting stuff to pieces.

bigbadbat

Harbinger of Dandelions
True Blood
Nabbed the new Tau codex today, and I must say it looks pretty darn good after my first few flip through.

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
the hidden one said:
no more charging out of open top vehicles
Incorrect. All open-topped vehicles are also assault vehicles, so you can charge out of them. That said, Wyches are still useless because they are simply too fragile for any kind of overwatch. Incubi are tough enough to take a few hits here and there, and have AP2 melee weapons that are not Unwieldy. Beastmaster Packs can take a few hits, and more importantly do not need Raiders or Venoms to get them into position. These, and Hellions are the units you'll want to field if you want your DE to get into assault. Definitely no Wyches or Bloodbrides though.