• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Tips/Help on creating a campaign

Hey ghouls and gals, I'm wanting to create a campaign for me and some of my friends. I didn't know exactly where to put this thread so I chose here.

I've heard about a campaign where as you go each territory you control gives you something special (like one allows you to have an extra special unit, one more than normal, and that unit is at half the cost). This is the kind of campaign that I would want to do. There are 6 of us that would be in it. If you want to see an example of this type of campaign check out some of the BlueTable Painting Battle Reports on YouTube.

I have no idea where to begin in creating this or even how to do it. So any tips or help you guys have would be greatly apperciated.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Uh, I wish I'd have any experience to share with you on the subject but I've never actually been part of a campaign myself. However, coming up with a good backgroud premise for all the factions to participate in the conflict would be a good first step. What armies will you all be bringing?

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Yes, make sure there's a reason for the players to be fighting, one that draws them in and keeps them inerested- or you will get dropouts.

The other big key is to NOT give major rewards for the players doing the best; if the top players keep geting more rewards, and the losing players have a harder time as a result, then that's just going to make the losing players want out.

I would suggest investing in the Mighty Empire kit. It contains hexagon tiles for making a map, as well as sample rules.

Other people could also buy the kit, and make their own, race specific tiles.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Lord of ravens beat me to it. The Mighty Empires kit is the GW Campaign kit essentially. It gives you Hex tiles that you can construct as a map, and move from tile to tile in conquest.

I believe the rules were one tile per turn, and one move per player, and if you encountered a neutral city or another players army you fight. It's pretty nice, and the goal is pretty clear. Kill everyone else.

If you had X tiles over someone else you got some sort of minor points bump, and if you had x tiles less than someone else you got a bigger points bump....it was pretty nice. When I played back home we basically made up our own rules for it such as 'Two on One', where two players combined their turns to double charge one opponent. Of course we also made the Withdraw rule, so he just ran like a pansy.

Then again 4000 on 2000 woulda been kinda bad.

I'd really recommend the tiles, and to hell with GW's rules if you don't like them. Treat it as a creative endeavor if you want to make your own, more balanced or just more fun rules.

Definetly get the Mighty Empires kit but sack the rules, they are dog shit. I am taking part in a campaign at the moment, if you want a copy of rules we are using let me know, I will email them to you. They are based on the ME rules but work much better in my opinion.

Also, if you can, try to get a copy of the old battle book. I think 4th edition although I could be wrong.

It had some cracking campaign rule at the back.

My friend is creating a story based VC vs DE campaign. He is our main Game Master when we roleplay. He always creates his own universe and rules and history for the world we play so I`m really looking forward what kind of scenarios he brings. Most definitely not balanced ones though, but i hope there will be enough excitment on battles and a good story.

When it`s ready i ask if I could show it to you guys.

Gokamok

Grave Guard
As has been said previously, the Mighty Empires set is definitely nice for building maps, and with a bit of modification to the rules, it can make for a good foundation for the campaign.

We once played a year-long campaign with 6 players and 2 "gamemasters", where the gamemasters would play the armies of neutral factions, move mercenary bands around the map, do small tweaks to help out the weaker players, etc. Which worked out very well indeed.

From my experience, the most important thing when running a map based campaign, is to make sure that the game can keep moving for those players that are not involved in a lot of battles at any given time. Essentially you'll need to get everyone together to move their armies around the map, resolve small skirmishes (500 point battles and such), and then make sure that the players involved in larger battles can manage to play those before the next time you get together to continue the campaign.

If you're interested, I can try digging through some old notes to see if I can find the system we used to keep our campaign going, though it might not be very helpful depending on what kind of campaign you're going for.