• Got some models to paint? Want to do it as a challenge in a group who help and encourage each other? Join our Tale of Painters - Third Edition. Any models, any army!

Tom Meier Zombie Dragon - How should I use this model?

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
One of my ims when working on an army is to rescue classic models from my collection in the loft and get them painted up and used in games. As I have done with my giant skeleton. Here's the next one...

The Tom Meier Zombie Dragon from 1985:

P1010114_zps64881d8c.jpg

As you can see from the 8 skeleton warriors behind it, it is a long thin beastie which would happily stand up on a mere 25x75mm of base. The whole length and width of the model would fit on 40mmx160mm, which is the same as 2 zombies wide and 8 zombies deep.

My initial thought was to use him as a zombie unit filler, but EIGHT ranks deep is a bit crazy surely? I would need 12+ ranks of zombies to make that work I think!

So... what size base should I put him on and what should I count him as? All suggestions welcome!

Reaper

Wight King
Hello. That is pretty nice model you have :)

About the base - it depends if you want to preserve the model as it is, or if you are willing to make some conversions. You could bend the head a bit down and the tail up, remove the base of the dragon and attach him almost vertically to rock on 50x50 base, using him for example as Varghulf.

If you would prefer to use him as zombie unit filler, I would advice to bend his head to left/right, making him a bit shorter. You could be able to place him at base that would have size of 1x5 or 2x5 zombies(5 wide and 1 or 2 long), which would be quite useful.

Anyway, looking forward to how it will turn out for you :thumbsup:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Well, ignoring the fact that head and tail would go beyond the base, you could place it on a chariot base. And that means - as already mentioned - Black Coach, but also a Mortis Engine or a Coven Throne. It's also neat that you can simulate the spectral steed rule by saying that the dragon flies over terrain.

You could place a necromancer or a vampire on top of him and ride forward as either ME or CT. Heck, I think you could also pull off the idea that dragon alone is an unholy, magickal beastie capable of empowering your units, having random attacks and banshee howl - just like ME.

Personally I think that having such nice model and hiding it between zombies would be kinda wasteful - but that's yours to decide ;) I hope it will turn out great.

Von Calyptra

Black Knight
I wouldn't use the chariot base, I'd do the same thing I did for my Black Coach, and build a base by gluing two pieces of movement tray together (to achieve an appropriate height).
I'd also look into one of the old Carrion riders as a possible wraith to ride him.
I'm not sure about representing the black coach's coffin, but maybe you don't need to.

I think some people might object to using it as a mortis engine, since it would be relatively easy to hide this dragon behind things, and the mortis engine is like 8" high.

SoulSeeker

Ghoul
Hell Steed for Necrarch vampire?
Corpse Cart?
Abyssal terror?

Or even, zombie dragon! :perv:

Jerek

Ghoul
It's a nice model but I agree that you need to add a little height to it. If you use it as a unit filler, the detail and 'cool' factor would definitely get lost

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Very lovely dragon, indeed. Don't dare to use him as a unitfiller, he is worth more than that ;) Can you bend the wings a little more up? To give the height that is needed.. or do a lot of rebasing work, but I think this will be a very big project...

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Thanks for all the responses and ideas! :thumbsup:

I really don't want to muck about with the model if I can help it, I'd rather keep it intact. Bending the tale a bit is possible, but the wings are far too solid and the neck too fragile. A shame as I like the climbing a vertical rock idea a lot, I can see that working with other models in my collection.

The relative lack of height is definitely a problem - the dragon lacks physical presence compared with the ME, a Terrorgheist or any Zombie Dragon made in the last 20 years! I have a metal GW ZD and the Carmine Dragon to use in the army, which are both much bigger.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Yeah, just read about the corpse cart idea.. place the body of the black coach (or a conversion) on his back, would be a appropriate vehicle for a blood dragon vc :perv:

Von Calyptra

Black Knight
What about giving him a nice crypt or something to stand on? That should elevate him a bit.

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
I have the same model. It stands on a rocky outcrop, so the Vampire sitting on his shoulder can survey the battlefield. Vamp is a very old chaos warrior. Ijust had to file a mm or so out of his inner thighs to make a perfect fit. It's such a characterful model, it's a shame not to use it as is.