• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Triple Crown something

heldantes

Black Knight
Hi guys, my friends and I have just bought tickets to a tournament:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=127779

I'm waiting on membership activation so I can ask questions over on warhammer, but we've never been to any tournament, not even to play at a local GW, and this is a whole weekender!

Is there any rough guidelines people could give regarding etiquette, do's and don'ts, and anything else for most tournament settings?

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
As far as etiquette goes, I would say:
  • Always try to be at your table early and be prepared for rapid deployment. I (and most others) hate it if you show up with a shoe box or sack and all of your models are loose inside it.
  • Introduce yourself and make sure you have the right opponent. Nothing's worse than getting finished with a match just to find you get DQed from the tournament.
  • Never touch your opponent's models without getting permission.
  • If you are using Undeath Lore, try to have in mind what you will summon beforehand so your turns don't take too long.
  • Make sure you know your army rules and (if possible) your opponent's rules. Most people won't try to deceive you, but some will. Others simply don't know their rules that well. You should never be afraid to ask to read their rules yourself. If it comes down to an argument, ask a judge and accept whatever they say (even if you think it's wrong). I saw a guy playing VC that had a SGK on TG with Skabskrath; his opponent was Empire and ended up losing the game. The VC player had initially won, but the Empire player remembered that the SGK never killed anyone in CC, only by shooting, and ended up winning because he got the points for killing the general and slain general. He tried to argue that the whole army would have to take the Slain General test (more victory points), but the judge ruled that Skabscrath kills its bearer after the game is over, so Slain General didn't cause any crumble.
  • Be patient with less-experienced players. It could very well be their first tournament and if their experience is not enjoyable, they may never play again. Many tournaments also rate players on sportsmanship; if you are rude or impatient, it could cost you severe points.
  • Most importantly, remember to bring to your own dice, tape measure, templates, and rulebooks.

heldantes

Black Knight
Dude that is amazing and has totally put me at ease! Thanks a lot! I can actually see myself printing that off and walking around the competition tables with it printed out like a mini hand book. Well, maybe not, but still!

My only issue is the competition is "some End Times rules" and I've never played End Times. Got 3 months to sort that out (though I'll be bringing pure VC still...unless Lore of Undeath looks amazing).

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
True Blood
Generally, end times rules means the 50% lords and heroes and that any army from end times can be used and undeath lore is available. More specifically, it tends to exclude Khaine magic because it takes too long is super annoying and most people don't like it as of now. I have seen some also exclude the end times spells. But you should check beforehand.

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Hi guys, my friends and I have just bought tickets to a tournament:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=127779

I'm waiting on membership activation so I can ask questions over on warhammer, but we've never been to any tournament, not even to play at a local GW, and this is a whole weekender!

Is there any rough guidelines people could give regarding etiquette, do's and don'ts, and anything else for most tournament settings?
Offer you opponent beer ;) I'll see you at the event and I'll be waiting at the bar :tongue: