• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Trying Lizardmen at 2500 points

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
Hello there,

This is my first 2500 pt Lizzie list, built from other armies I've seen people play and my own guesswork as to what's effective. Sword of Might is on the cowboy to deal with those annoying ethereals from the VC army (who plays those lousy gits anyway...?)
I favor infantry so I'm fielding two units of saurus as opposed to the usual one.
Kroxigors go in 2x2 formation and will be placed last with the hope of smacking into a monster.

Slann BSB Focus, Convergence, Reservoir. Channeling rod, banner of Disc

SP LVL 2 beasts, dispel scroll
SV CO, AoD, gw
SV CO,sword of might, 5+ ward, lt ar, sh

10 skirmishers, jav
10 skirmishers, jav
30 Saurus cmd
29 Saurus cmd

4 kroxigors ch
3 terras
3 rippers

Ancient stegadon, horns
Salamander, extra handler

2498?

Thanks for reading

Hi Seneschal,

What rules will you be playing? Khaine magic?

I find the reroll first failed dispel attempt per turn ability for the slann goes a long way in shutting the enemy magic phase down...
Heavens skink priests tend to do better than beasts imo.
Cowboys look good
Core is fine though I have moved away from saurus blocks. I would only play a saurus block if i needed a place for a lvl4 death slann.
let us know how the kroxies fare! definitely not a popular choice but they have potential!
I would try to find space for more terras and rippers, they (drop) rock!
Steggie is awesome vs monsters, elves and lone characters :)
I love my sallies :)

Since you are going high magic, I would consider using razordons for tirestrips buffed with hand of glory.
I would also consider some skink chiefs on terras/rippers for warmachine hunting and character assassination

The Sun King

Imperator
True Blood
Nice that you go Lizzie Sen!

Tweaks:
1. Move BSB from Slann to Scar Vet
2. Drop Terras for Chameleon skinks as they are more annoying for you opponent.

I would see if I could get an extra Ancient Steg, you need more hitting power IMO.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
Hello and thank you for the replies. I appreciate the input. I have decided to forgo using Saurus altogether in favor of something more competitive (as I've been told).
Please give me whatever tips you can. This is the only army in the game that I just can't figure out. I can win with anything else, lol.

Retooled a lot of things as per your suggestions...

430 slann High Lore, Mystery, Becalming, Book of Ashur

150 SP Heavens, scroll, ruby ring
114 SC Ripper, spear, lt ar, dragonhelm, potion of strength
179 SV CO, GW, Armor of destiny, BSB
160 SV CO, lt ar, sh, sword of might,5+ ward

70 10 skirmishers
80 12 skirmishers
80 12 skirmishers
50 10 cohorts
105 11 cohorts, kroxigor
240 22 cohorts, cmd, 2 kroxigor

170 4 rippers champ
115 3 teradons champ

84 sallie, handler
250 cannon magnet, sharp horn
250 cannon magnet, sharp horn

Min core. Solo slann. Will he be alright without ethereal? I've got Apotheosis if he needs it.
No end times magic for now.

Lost the power dice buffers but I now have dispel synergy with Becalming and the Book.

Is the ripper chief outfitted well?

I feel safer with Terra's than I do chammies but if chams are far superior then I'll save myself some money and pick them up instead...

In general, skinks shoot then flee to the slann, yadda yadda.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Those are some great changes. A couple of things though:

*Your Slann is now a dispelling monster ;) be prepared to stop 90% of your opponents spells.
*As the Sun King said, a Slann that is not in a Temple guard bunker should not be BSB. You are not steadfast or stubborn and if you break, he dies thus costing you 470 + general + bsb + main wizard. Armour of destiny scarvet is tough enough to be BSB imo.
*I prefer terras over chamos. Didn't always until 2 units of them saved my ass when Nagash summoned 9 bloodknights and a baby blender behind me T1. they proceeded to double flee the crap out of those blood knights resulting in them seeing combat for the first time in T4. Chamos can't do that.
*Don't think you can have dragon helm and charmed shield on the ripper chief... You do have the right idea with his build though! Go look at the Danish ETC 2014 lizardmen list to get an idea of skink chief builds that work. Also, that list is F***ed up :)

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
Thanks for the reply :)

-yeah I was just looking at my list again and realized I had two armor items on the chief, whoops! Removing charmed shield
-taken the level off the SP
-added a fourth ripper. Good idea or no?
-dropping disc banner gives me points for a terra champ
-is the slann really that nasty at dispelling now? Fascinating...

On the bsb cowboy, how can I keep him towards the back while remaining a good damage source?

Thank you again for all your friendly assistance!

More rippers means more damage :) when charging with them make sure to go into flanks and rear!
terra champ not needed...
Slann: For me he does real good... Often my opponents only get 1 or 2 spells of a game. obviously excluding useless spells they cast to try and pull dispel dice. It's still not that easy to shut down a magic phase but the reroll + lvl5 to dispel helps a lot!
BSB: Don't keep him in the back. With lizzies you actually move very aggressively and then double flee. Your slann has enough range with magic to stay within 12" of rallies and cold-blooded rallies are like having an in-built bsb already. You want your cowboys and steggies to be just behind the front line so when you double flee with the terras and skinks, you are open to charge the enemy.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
Excellent, thank you

-Tera champ was added in due to the extra points. Wasn't sure what to do with them :tongue:
-I like that you run two Tera units. Should I do the same or stick with one and the rippers ?
-what's the average life expectancy of a blot toad?:tongue:

Thanks again for the tips!

I'd say play both terras and rippers and decide which fits your play style better. As with any new list, it takes games played and not theoryhammer to figure out what really works best.

The toad lives long enough to piss off all the rippers :swear:

No problem Seneschal :thumbsup: happy to help

Last edited:

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
Sounds good.
I greatly appreciate your advice. There really is no substitute for playtesting.
I'll proxy the list and work on getting a game in as soon as possible.

I suggest try a unit with blowpipes and see how it fares against the jav+shield biuld. Some people swear by them, I prefer the jav+shield guys. Maybe with a hand of glory they will work...