• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

TVC II OOC TVC II GM Team - Recruitment and Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
So having listened to everyone's feedback and accepted my own failures, I have agreed that a team is need to run the Vampire Council II.

How will it work?

Simple enough, I want to recruit two other members to act as support GM's, with the main aim to ensure that the roleplay continues on at a decent pace, but also that it retains the spirit and style of the original.

Main duties will include:
  • Review and approval of bios
  • Moderation of posts, such as quality, no godmodding etc
  • Provide advice and support to other players (for example in the original TVC I helped players think up what long term sideplots their characters might have)
Whilst I am here, I will still do the main duties such as starting chapters, directing the main plot, reviewing and incorporating side plots. However if I disappear then the other GM's will have access to the necessary information to keep the plot going, and if necessary can RP main plot driving characters (like Rowhaine).

There will be section set up to store all the information for the RP here on CN (accessible only the GMs).

The main thing is that the other GM's can be active. If for any reason they feel they cannot do this, they can of course select to stand down and others can be recruited. In addition, if the RP grows as large as the previous one, more GM's may be recruited to support this.

So, I hope that is clear, but if not please ask. If you would like to put your name forward, please post so here along with your availability (on average) and any other information you feel might be important. Likewise, if you don't want to be a GM, but see someone volunteer who you would support, feel free to say so.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
I will put my name forward, seeing as no-one else has done so yet, if only to ensure that there are some mini-GMs to help DoN out, but I'm really hoping that someone with more RPing experience than me will volunteer (when two of these RP veterans put their names forward, I will gratefully step down).

On average, I am available most of the day for several hours each day. However, I may not be available much of the time in August (I will be on holiday then xD). From September onwards, I am not entirely sure how available I will be, although I expect I will be available for around an hour each day.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Don't sell yourself short Dready, your post in the other thread shows a great deal of organisation and dedication. Thanks for volunteering :thumbsup:

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
I'd be happy to put my name forward, I'm available most days (although not every day). I'm sure there'd be plenty of other RPers better suited than myself but happy to help all the same!

And agreeing with DoN here Dready, pretty sure you'd be an awesome GM! :tongue:

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
I guess I'll also volunteer, even though like Dread is saying I'm not really experienced enough to hold such a position.

Speaking of which, I'm going to go ahead and nominate @Count Darvaleth and @Get of W'soran. They're probably the two most experienced roleplayers that are still active, and I'm guessing that, in typical British fashion, have simply been too polite to step forward.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by Get. Well, consider it instead a vote of support for his application.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
I guess I'll also volunteer, even though like Dread is saying I'm not really experienced enough to hold such a position.

Speaking of which, I'm going to go ahead and nominate @Count Darvaleth and @Get of W'soran. They're probably the two most experienced roleplayers that are still active, and I'm guessing that, in typical British fashion, have simply been too polite to step forward.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by Get. Well, consider it instead a vote of support for his application.
I thought we were only supposed to support people who'd already posted applications. It wouldn't do to put pressure on @Count Darvaleth or @The Archivist to volunteer now, would it?

Well, now that you've stepped forward, I am going to support you both. I support the elevation to mini-GM of @Get of W'soran and @Harland.

Why? Among other things, they are both experienced and skilled RPers, Get has a history of modding on CN and has played in the TVC I since near the time of its inception, and Harland has written wonderful back-and-forth passages with @The Archivist in the TVC II...what? Of course I'm not putting pressure on him to stand for mini-GM!

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
I thought we were only supposed to support people who'd already posted applications. It wouldn't do to put pressure on @Count Darvaleth or @The Archivist to volunteer now, would it?
Perhaps you are right that I shouldn't have mentioned them before they volunteered. I just felt that I ought to say whom I thought most qualified for the job. (-both were involved in the original TVC, -both have very long and prestigious rping careers, -both have been mods of the creative writing section of the forum, so they know what they're doing)
However, and I say this entirely without hidden intent, I doubt any of us would hold it against Darvy if he chose not to volunteer.

Last edited:

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
DoN's said he's looking for two people to support him, and already three who would all do a fine job have stepped forward - he's going to have a hard enough time choosing as it is without me bumbling around!

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
If there are a few people who are interested, I can always assign a couple as main ones, with others as backup should other GM's need to back down or go absent as well. That way, lots of redundancy to ensure the TVC II powers on!

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
I would worry backups would be tempted to backseat-GM - maybe better to assign them as and when they're needed? Something would have to take out all three GMs simultaneously for this to go wrong...!

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Perhaps you are right that I shouldn't have mentioned them before they volunteered. I just felt that I ought to say whom I thought most qualified for the job. (-both were involved in the original TVC, -both have very long and prestigious rping careers, -both have been mods of the creative writing section of the forum, so they know what they're doing)
I apologise for making my post seem a serious criticism: it was written in light-hearted jest. :clown:

However, and I say this entirely without hidden intent, I doubt any of us would hold it against Darvy if he chose not to volunteer.
Ahem -- *pockets revolver* -- no, of course none of us would hold it against Darvy if he chose not to volunteer. xD

only can GM when the other GM's fail xD
You could upload (to this thread, or perhaps another one in the TVC II OCC sub-forum) a list of GMs, mini-GMs and back-up mini-GMs. If none of the GMs (DoN and Simon) and the mini-GMs (whoever they are) have not made a post for 'x' days (should this be 7? 14? 30? Personally, I would settle at 14 days; it shows clear and definite inactivity but is not too long a time to wait for players without GMs) , then the back-up GMs could officially acquire their GM 'powers' and somehow be granted access to the current plot-advancing material. This would allow them to use their powers if and when necessary but not take unfair advantage of future plot information.

The question of how this material would normally be locked from them arises. The plot info could be stored in a thread locked to all except those who had a password for it. Perhaps the site could detect when none of the GMs and mini-GMs had posted for 14 days, and auto-send (via the auto-PM system) the password (or some other kind of permission-granting code) to the back-up mini-GMs. They could then access the plot info until a regular GM or mini-GM returns, at which point the mini-GM or GM will change the password and remove the back-up mini-GM's powers once more.

Such an automated system might be complicated, but I imagine it could be done. Alternatively, the computer work could be left to a dedicated mod (who was not taking part in the TVC II: this would ensure that they did not use plot information that they had access to unfairly) who was prepared to send PMs to the back-up mini-GMs containing the password for the plot info thread.

Without such a system that allows permission to be granted to back-up mini-GMs and stops them from exploiting access to plot information, if all the GMs and mini-GMs became inactive for a time, the back-up mini-GMs could not advance the plot -- which would presumably be a vital part of their role.

@Count Darvaleth Your application would be just as valid as anyone else's here, if not more so, considering your experience, skill, and former temporary GMing of the TVC II. Don't feel you can't apply just because others have done so already -- I for one would not feel cheated if you took a mini-GM position instead of me, and I don't think the others would either. This thread is designed to help recruit the most skilled mini-GMs possible - because they will do the job of mini-GMing, and thereby help the RP, the best out of all the applicants here - not the ones who applied for the post of mini-GM first!

Last edited:

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
That's a good point is @Simon von Carstein still around and willing to GM?

@The Dread King - erm not too sure on the automated release.....I'm only just getting the basic forum functions working ok :clown: I will think of a way to make it work one way or another.

So in the interests of keeping things trundling along at a good place, shall I leave this open to Wednesday the 09/07/14 at which point I'll close and appoint the support GM's and back-up GM's (and the back-up back-up GM's xD)

Simon von Carstein

The Poetic Fiend
True Blood
I'm still here. I've just been in a bit of a rut since the breakup with my Missus. I've been trying to get out of it by working on background material for the Carstein empire. Just to add colour to the role play.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I'm you really sorry to hear that Simon, I know it can be tough. Well hopefully the reboot will be something you can get your teeth stuck into then :vampire3:

Are you still ok to GM ?

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
That's a good point is @Simon von Carstein still around and willing to GM?

@The Dread King - erm not too sure on the automated release.....I'm only just getting the basic forum functions working ok :clown: I will think of a way to make it work one way or another.

So in the interests of keeping things trundling along at a good place, shall I leave this open to Wednesday the 09/07/14 at which point I'll close and appoint the support GM's and back-up GM's (and the back-up back-up GM's xD)
@Disciple of Nagash Like I said in my last post, if the automated release is a bit difficult you could always bring a third party (not involved in the TVC II) - perhaps a mod - into the equation to send the PMs manually.

Yes, leaving it until Wednesday sounds like a good idea. You might want to leave it long enough for most of the old players to get involved in the TVC II again, so they can contribute to the mini-GM discussion before you make your final decision.

This might help you; several opinions and potentially useful ideas were given here (as well as a poll and its results) on the matter of mini-GMs.

@Simon von Carstein sorry to hear that; I hope you recover soon. Glad to here you're considering returning in full to the TVC II! The more active GMs, the merrier (so long as there aren't too many, of course :tongue:).

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Great to hear @Simon von Carstein :thumbsup:

I did have a quick look over that thread @The Dread King , was an interesting read ;)

I have decided the following approach for the GM team:
  • The GM team will consist of myself, Simon von Carstein plus two others.
  • When I am present, the key tasks I will retain will be the main plot progression, chapters etc.
  • The other GM's will also be kept in the loop, with their main duties approving bios, carrying out basic moderation (no godmodding etc)
  • Should I become absent for a period of 2 weeks, the other GM's may use plot information to progress the chapters / plot if necessary. For example the chapter may not require it at the time as normal posting is keeping it trundling along.
  • I will also straight away nominate 1/2 people who I am comfortable with RP'ing my characters if the above absence occurs.
  • A subsection will be created which the GM team will have access to. This will contain main and sideplot information, at least enough to progress chapters for the next 6 months if not all of it. Enough certainly to keep things going in my absence.
  • Those designated as GM's will be granted moderator privileges in this section specifically to assist them in their duties.
I don't feel that any more than that is needed, with four GM's the chances of all us being absent should be slight. In the even that one is left standing, the other three cannot be contacted (including me), I will speak to Lynks and advise in that situation the remaining GM can appoint other GM's, with Lynks granting them the relevant privileges.

Phew! I have a good feeling about this reboot though......to be honest when the TVC II previously I am not sure if the magic was there for me, but this time....it feels a little like the beginning of the original TVC did. Hopefully a good omen :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.