• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Uga Bugs tale

uga bug

Black Knight
My pledge is:

7 Grave Guard; HW & shield.
4 Dire wolves

1 orc boar chariot.
40 night goblins, spears shields, FC, netters.
3 fanatics.
1 orc big boss, axe, shield.
10 black orcs, shields.

20 mantic elf spearmen
mantic elf kings court(1 elf king, 1 elf mage queen, 1 elf prince, 1 elf battle standard bearer)

8 firewarriors
4 gun drones
1 XV8

Got the tau here undercoated, I'll post pictures up soon.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Pictures, I say!

The Tale is a Go, get your brush moving and I wish you the best of luck and patience. :) See you at the end!

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Ooooh...tau.... XENOS FILTH!
I like to see tau being painted, they are a fun army with a great style. Cannot wait.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Tau tastie bite sized treats for the great devouring nids, good luck on the painting. Course the nids always have good luck on the eating.

uga bug

Black Knight
Got a picture of the Tau, ready to paint!
I'm planning, and hoping to finish them soemtime this week.

Also got some pictures of the mantic evles now. I will be undercoating them white and begin to paint them soon as well.

Elf kings court

Elf spearmen

uga bug

Black Knight
The Tau are done!
For the greater good!

I'm not too sure about the battlesuit though-i think it might look a little plain...and well too blue!

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Holy Crap that was fast! :|

Good paintjob! Very smooth, the only complaint is that I can't see the Battlesuit clearly to critique it. :thumbsup:

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Nice colour scheme on the tau. May I suggest perhaps streaks of camo in lighter shades on blue/gray on the battlesuit?
Love the work on the battlesuits optical sensor eye thingy. Perhaps you should do the same thing for the sensor/eye thingies on the gun drones (you seem to have missed their eyes)
Also, a nice glow effect (green perhaps?) on the lines of the round thingy on the pulse weapons and the lines around it, as well as maybe a bit of glowy coolant leakage on the vents of the pulse weapons would make them look really interesting.
Also, perhaps the metal on the battlesuit could be change to a different colour or have some kind of effect put on it as it looks a bit....something.
Just some ideas :) Am loving your plog.

uga bug

Black Knight
Sanai said:
Nice colour scheme on the tau. May I suggest perhaps streaks of camo in lighter shades on blue/gray on the battlesuit?
Onikaigo said:
Good paintjob! Very smooth
[/qoute]

I want my tau to have a very clean, crisp clear defined paint scheme to them, so i don't think i'll be going down a camo route scheme -I may add in more lighter grey areas though.

Sanai said:
Perhaps you should do the same thing for the sensor/eye thingies on the gun drones (you seem to have missed their eyes)
[/qoute]

Do you think its bad i never realised they had the sensors/eyes until you mentioned it? :slapface:
I like my drones though I think they look quite cute.

Sanai you have given me some great ideas-thanks.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Your welcome Uga.
Also, don't worry. It took me a while to notice the eyes on my little brother's gun drones.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
A nice change of color compared to the normal tau you see I love the softness of the blues, The not noticing the drones eyes is only as bad as relizing after painting a dozen marines that they have laurels on here damn head. Your doing a great job uga keep them coming. But I must say sorry the tyranids will still eat your tau's.

uga bug

Black Knight
Right, made a few changes to my tau.
I painted the lenses on the gun drones, and also the vents on the pulse rifles.
I made a few slgiht changes to the battlesuit as well, see below. I only took a picture of the battlesuit because the changes to the other models were minal!

I also started work on an elf spearman. I have only tried to paint white once before-on sisters of battle, and failed.
I've given it a different approach this time and would like to know what you all think of the white:

The armour and shield are goig to remain the white.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
The white color is one of the hardest to get to work so ya got ur work cut out for your. The lenses on the tau look great, you have done a wonderful job with them. Again I love the non brown color you are doing. Quite a diffrent break from what almost everyone does. So that is a mantic elf up close its a nice alternative sculpt.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
More different models! Great. xD

First time I have seen the Mantic Elves being painted, so look forward to see how they turn out. Like the Tau as well, though I do think the battlesuit needs the blue breaking up a little. If you are looking for a blue camo effect, then grey will work well.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I find shadow gray to be an excellent blue to work with (used to be my fave paint color back in the day when my Guard had shadow gray armour and codex gray fatigues)
Perhaps you could try using some of that on the bsuit.
Also, it would be great to see more pics of the tau even if the changes are small :)

uga bug

Black Knight
Does anyone know how to paint white and make it look good?

I seem to be failing quite spectacularly at getting my elf to look nice. Since the photo yesterday I took I've highlight white on the armour...and it still looks terrible. Anyone got any tips or ideas how i can paint white?!

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
I dont ever do it myself so dont blame me if it goes wrong xD but I think the theory of it is to start with a base of something like a dark grey and blend it up using the base into the white. Using white straight from the pot makes it look lite its just been primed and not actually been painted at all. The white has to have something in it. Which would make it not actually white?!?

uga bug

Black Knight
time to spam you all with more pictures.

Firewarriors, with very slgiht changes to the gun. Mainly to the coolant vents, which i've attempted to do a glowing green, and the grip.

Here is the battlesuit, pretty much finished. Added a bit mroe grey to him and now i'm happy. Also a gun drone is there with the finished lenses!

...I did warn you all not much had changed with the warriros or drones.

Now is the elf! :swear:
Think i'm getting there now though...many washes and highlights later! I've also begun todo the base colouring of other areas on the model so i can get a vague idea of what the finished elf will look like.

Incase the white is a failure i began to work on a silver metallic coloured armour elf as well. Shown here next to the white armoured elf. I'd very much like to know what you all think looks better-the white or silver?
-The silver isnt finished yet, but i'm already beginning to think it maylook better than the white.

As a final note I've begun to paint the elf prince as well, in ornate bronze armour.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
The tau are coming along great I love there color(keeps saying that)
I really need to start writing a book on tutorial
As for painting white this is my formula, start with a light blue or grey and highlight up using mostly reaper paints such as linen white and leather white look good. linen white over leather white this gives a good detail to the white model as well as depth. That is how I do it. space wolves grey as a basecoat highlighted with linen white looks good too. which is what i most often use

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
White can really be a pain in the arse to paint, Have you tried starting with a light grey then highlighting with white? That's how i've been told you can do it but never tried, I just paint it white then put a massive black wash on it and it looks pretty rubish.

Out of those 2 I prefer the silver one personly.

uga bug said:
Does anyone know how to paint white and make it look good?

I seem to be failing quite spectacularly at getting my elf to look nice. Since the photo yesterday I took I've highlight white on the armour...and it still looks terrible. Anyone got any tips or ideas how i can paint white?!
For my High Elves I use Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey as the basic layers of the white. However, that probably doesn't look so good on yours since they are already blue, and painting it like I do makes it look like silk instead of armour.
I'd start with Codex Grey or Adeptus Battle Grey, then paint everything apart from the deepst recesses with Fortress Grey and finally several Layers of Skull White to get an uniform colour. It will probably be even easier if you do a layer of the really light grey foundation (forgot its name) before the white as well. Just be prepared that white takes quite a long time to paint nicely.

uga bug

Black Knight
Thanks for the tips Angel.

Haven't been many updates because I've been testing out different schemes for the white. None of which i've eben overly happy with. I've started with various greys, blues and even browns. All of them looked ok, but ntohing special. I have now decided to paint them silver, as its easier and the end result looks better! Expect a picture of a few Elves soon!

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Angels white painting tips are the bomb they look really nice, with that one added step. So how are the things going uga I hope well.