• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
SOULBLIGHT - 1000 pts

I'm gonna play a 1000 pts game, and i was thinking about 2 lists.

ONE
Legion of Night

HEROES
Mannfred
Necromancer

BATTLELINES
20 skellies
20 zombies

OTHER
5 Black Knights
5 Black Knights

Of course, the heavy weight will be lifted by Mannfred, punching the opponent's army where i want tnx to my move, with the support of the battlelines with danse macabre, while the BK will act as fast units, obj grabbers, MWs chargers, Mannfred support
My main issue is that the bulk of the troops (zombies and skellies) will be kinda "weak"

TWO
Legion of Blood

HEROES
Vampire Lord (martial expertise, aura of dark majesty, soulbound garment)
Necromancer

BATTLELINES
20 skellies
20 zombies

OTHER
10 Grave guards
5 Black Knights
5 Black Knights (?)
5 Black knights (?)

Basically Mannfred leaves room to a VL, 10 GG and 5 BK
no big hitter as Mannfred, but the VL afoot will offer some punch (maybe should i pick premeditated violence to explode 6s? i will do 6 attacks...) AND will trigger deadly coordination
not sold on the triple unit of BK but that would give me a lot of battlefield control.
ALTERNATIVELY i could keep only 1 unit of 5 Black Knight AND insert 5 Blood Knights

Last edited:

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Overall I like the first list the most in terms of power level - I think Manny is a real problem for the opponent at 1000 pts. I think the second one will have a hard time killing anything - ten Grave Guards don't really cut it. I would definitely bring the Blood Knights for the second list.

Reactions: Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Overall I like the first list the most in terms of power level - I think Manny is a real problem for the opponent at 1000 pts. I think the second one will have a hard time killing anything - ten Grave Guards don't really cut it. I would definitely bring the Blood Knights for the second list.

Yep, i tend to agree, i will probably opt for the first one

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Take list one, and add 5 blood knights, 20 zombies and a Vampire Lord?

Given that it's not an evolution, i will probably go for something as this (we will probably play with the "old" book, aka no galletian... unless my opponent asks otherwise)

SOULBLIGHT - 1500 pts

Vyrkos dynasty

HEROES
VLoZD - general with pack alpha, sangsyron as artefact, foetid miasma as mount trait
Belladamma
VL afoot

BATTLELINES
10 skellies
10 wolves
10 wolves

OTHER
3 fellbats
20 grave guards

the plan is pretty simple:
2 main hitters: VLoZD will act alone on one flank, in the center i will have Belladamma and VL with 10 wolves (bodyguards / screen) and the 20 GG buffed by the ca of the VL and killing moon by Belladamma
10 skellies in the rearline (obj)
10 wolves and 3 fellbats as fast units (flanks protectors, obj grabbers)

Reactions: The Sun King

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
I like it! Is it against Daughters again? I think the main drawback of the list is that you have a low model count and can get punished a bit by shooting.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
I like it! Is it against Daughters again? I think the main drawback of the list is that you have a low model count and can get punished a bit by shooting.

i still don't know if i am going to face daughters (highly possible) or skaven (small chance).
I agree on the shooting, however the "good" part of having a reduced number of troops, is that i would be more able to protect them (for example, getting a mystic shield on the guards and All Out Defense).
Of course, i must see if this will work in practice,

eatU4myT

Skeleton
Feb 8, 2022
Given that it's not an evolution, i will probably go for something as this (we will probably play with the "old" book, aka no galletian... unless my opponent asks otherwise)

SOULBLIGHT - 1500 pts

Vyrkos dynasty

HEROES
VLoZD - general with pack alpha, sangsyron as artefact, foetid miasma as mount trait
Belladamma
VL afoot

BATTLELINES
10 skellies
10 wolves
10 wolves

OTHER
3 fellbats
20 grave guards

2 main hitters: VLoZD will act alone on one flank, in the center i will have Belladamma and VL with 10 wolves (bodyguards / screen) and the 20 GG buffed by the ca of the VL and killing moon by Belladamma
Reckon I would drop the fell bats for Emerald Life Swarm. The VLoZD and "spare" unit of direwolves already gives you some speed, and I think the Graveguard are going to need all the healing they can get to remain effective holding the centre, either of those opponents can put out enough shooting that an extra d3 healing at a strategic point could make a difference (keep the VL on foot alive for another turn, keep the Graveguard in the fight, un-bracket the VLoZD...)

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Reckon I would drop the fell bats for Emerald Life Swarm. The VLoZD and "spare" unit of direwolves already gives you some speed, and I think the Graveguard are going to need all the healing they can get to remain effective holding the centre, either of those opponents can put out enough shooting that an extra d3 healing at a strategic point could make a difference (keep the VL on foot alive for another turn, keep the Graveguard in the fight, un-bracket the VLoZD...)

That's definitely a possibility and probably an improvement to the list... but it’s a sort of test, and i wanted to try a unit of fell bats to see if they prove themselves to be useful or not.
I will think on it

eatU4myT

Skeleton
Feb 8, 2022
That's definitely a possibility and probably an improvement to the list... but it’s a sort of test, and i wanted to try a unit of fell bats to see if they prove themselves to be useful or not.
I will think on it
Fair enough! I find them very useful, but then I rarely put anything faster than a vampire lord on foot onto the table, so that probably influences it. Certainly not the "fail bats" that people slated them as when the book was first out!

I'd be interested in hearing how the graveguard play out, and how you get the best use out of them - I think they will become a staple unit under the new GHB so I need some pointers for using them!

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
With the new warscroll for Emerald Lifeswarm you do not get the double trigger when you cast it so I don't think it is worth it at all. I really dig the Fell Bats.

Regarding shooting I don't think Mystic Shield will do much because both the hot serial killers and ratmen have plenty of mortal wounds on their shooting.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy

SOULBLIGHT - 1500 pts

Vyrkos dynasty

HEROES
Belladamma
VL afoot

BATTLELINES
10 skellies
10 wolves
10 wolves

OTHER
3 fellbats
20 grave guards

Played against DoK

Bloodwrack shrine
10 witch elves
5 doomfire warlocks
5 khinerai something
5 malusai blood stalkers
High gladiatrix
Hag queen
another hero but don't recall

setup.jpg

Still old book
the obj cannot be scored in the first round but only from the second one, and they are valued more, the longer if you control them.
i gave the first turn to my opponent, which moved just to secure his portion of the battlefield.

IN my turn i moved the bulk of my forces on the left, with the wolves as screen to deal with the threat represented by the Shrine
The VLoZD moved forward on the right. due to a successful redeploy by my opponent the avatar was put in a safe position, so i just annihilated the warlocks, grabbing an obj.

Double turn and i kill also the kynerai and reduce the Melusai.
The fell bats move forward to further secure the right far obj

THe buffed witch elves and the avatar deal with the VLoZD, and the shrine + melusai go against the wolves.
Double turn and the VLoZD dies, while against the shrine one wolf survives.

The survived wolf disengage and grab an unguarded obj, while Belladamma and the gg shred to pieces the shrine and the melusai

Despite to big errors by my opponent in reading the rules, which i did not checked (he rolled for the bloodwrack stare for ALL the units within range, not only one, AND used the prayer "touch of death" as a charge-dischare tool as if it was an arcane bolt), it was a landslide victory for me, at T3 i was in control of 5 obj and i was ahead by 15 pts.

VLoZD: all in all it kinda underperformed, but he acted as a superb chaff cleaner (making my battlefield control much easier) and as a great distraction carnifex.
Dire volwes: these guys are surprisingly tough!
Fell Bats: really nice unit for its price.
The combo belladamma + gg + VL is solid as rock.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Awesome win mate! Your army looks great btw!

I agree that wolves are tougher than they look, I think it is because people intuitively think of them as 1 wound models.

eatU4myT

Skeleton
Feb 8, 2022
It does seem as though the role of the VLoZD is primarily distraction, and if built accordingly then also a bit of a damage sponge for regular attacks. He never seems to dish out any damage for me, but still seems worth taking!

How hard did you find the wolves hit? Our book seems over-stocked with tough units, and somewhat understocked with damage dealing units. With their extra move, is it hard to keep up with the buffing characters?

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
It does seem as though the role of the VLoZD is primarily distraction, and if built accordingly then also a bit of a damage sponge for regular attacks. He never seems to dish out any damage for me, but still seems worth taking!

How hard did you find the wolves hit? Our book seems over-stocked with tough units, and somewhat understocked with damage dealing units. With their extra move, is it hard to keep up with the buffing characters?

VLoZD
on paper he's rather impressive:
offensive power: a really solid damage output, especially on charge paired with sangsyron, all out attacks and finest hour. With your superior move you should be able to hit your main target and delete it.
defensive power: Mystic shield, all out defense, finest hour, healing abilities... to have a save 1+ should be trivial

in practice, i am never able to squeeze the most out of this potential. Mystic shield is dispelled, or i roll badly on my attacks, and the VLoZD becomes a paper tiger
BUT, even when it underperforms, it still manages to draw attention and forces a redeployment of key units, leaving my lesser heroes and my hordes anough time to deal with other threats and gaining battlefield control, thus winning me the game.

Dire Wolves
they don't hit hard. They hit as if they were armed with foam rubber teeth, even within Vyrkos (well, they inflict some damage, but they struggle to take down everything except weak screens with poor saves)
but they are tough and they are fast. They are not a screen... they are a highly mobile iron barrier.
Amazing unit.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
New list, back to Nighthaunts.

THis time, with the new GHB and the galletian veterans, it's time for some experimentation.

Allegiance: Nighthaunts
Scarlet Doom

Leaders
:

Reikenor
(190)
- add. spell: sguardo ghur, Seal of shyish
Spirit Torment (115)
Spirit Torment (115)
- artefact: Arcane tome
Krulghatst kruciator (150)
Dreadblade harrow (145)
- artefact: pendant fellwind

Battlelines

3 x Spirit Hosts (125)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
10 x Bladegheist rev (175)
10 x Bladegheist rev (175)
10 x Grimghast reapers (160)
10 x Grimghast reapers (160)

Other

2 x Chainghasts
(95)
10 x Dreadscythe Harr (160)

Endless Spells:

Purple sun
(70)

THE REASONING

yes, i get it: i have literally not a single big unit upon to concentrate bonuses, but i was more looking to exploit multiple charges and also negate possible debuffs (roar from enemy monsters won't have a favored target)

I plan to have 2 main blocks.

Block 1:
Reikenor, Spirit Torment, Krulghast,
chainghast
Spirit hosts (motly as bodyguard), double bladegheist revenants, grimghast reapers

Block 2:
Spirit torment with tome, Dreadblade harrow with pendant,
grimghast reapers, dreadshyte harr.

The wild:
hexwraits

the block 1 will be the main one, working on multicharges, buffs from the chainghast and raises by the first spirit torment

block 2 will be similar, supported by buffs (doubled c.a. by the dreadblade, magic from the spirit torment). it will hit less hard than block 1, but it can count on -1 to be hit and wounded (harridans and pendant)

the hexwraiths will act mostly alone, providing the role of fast objective snatchers and secondary support
The 2 units of grim reapers and the harridans will be bounty hunters, to exploit the large number of attacks against the opponents' veterans

with many units i plan to exploit multicharges, and the double spirit torment should provide good raising power.

thoughts?

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
I like the list a lot - quite similar to what I field at the moment. Why the the Grimghast Reapers in a Scarlet Doom army though?

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
I like the list a lot - quite similar to what I field at the moment. Why the the Grimghast Reapers in a Scarlet Doom army though?
because ATM i only own 20 bladegheist. ;P

Anyway, you can justify it by the fact that reapers gain attacks facing units with 5+ models, so by making them bounty hunters you should fully exploit the increased damage against galletian vets.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu