• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Unas the Slayer's Terrains

I have started to build some terrains, basically just for 40k, but in the future i will do the same thing also for fantasy.

The plan is to have lots of pieces, made as cheap as possible, using materials such:

- polystirene
- junk
- discarded bits
- other occasional cheap materials

This thread will contain both VIPs and pictures of the completed pieces. Feedbacks and suggestions will be appreciated.

I decided to build "trenches" (more a thing similar to Wall of Martyrs). Modular was the key value, so i did some measurement befor cutting and i created also some angular connector between the bigger pieces.

polystirene food trays is a wonderful material.
A cutter, some glue and just acrylic paint was the first step too obtain dirty & quick fortified positions.
These ones have been made with just one food package.

After the assembling, i gave them a more concrete effect, using glue, water and toilet paper

Time for bunkers!

Again, starting from a single food package cut in half and used on the top, plus a polystirene foil for the base.
VIP after cutting, assembling and glueing with water and toilet paper.

Final result, after painting and the use of bits from the Munitorum armoured containers set for the back doors.

Last edited:
after a while, a whole block of defenses: trenches and bunkers (with added damage effects from previous weapon shots)

Last edited:
After the basic lines of defense, I also wanted something more important. Not exactly a centerpiece but a vital area.

What's better than a Skyshield Landing Pad?

I've had some plywood, a hard cardbox tube (for plotter A0 paper), many sprue from 40k buildings (taken from the sprue box in our gaming shop), the usual polystirene and an A3 printer.
I've also picked a column of a terran empire temple, to turn it upside down and create a radio beacon
Good, i also took the measure of the exact size of the real one.

VIP (after the cutting of the plywood and the tube):

The satisfying final result.

Thanks guys!

THe next project is a massive construction, which i intend to use in Apocalypse games, or even in standard games but with particular rules.

It's basically the walls of a fortress (if you have ever seen Boylan's Helsreach, you know what I'm talking about), built with various polystirene material (TV packaging, polystirene foams cut, polystirene food trays…).
2 section, each wall is 46" long.

this is the assembled first wall, still unpainted:

Here's the first one of my 2 fortress' defensive walls!

Many small imperfections, but after all this is a defensive wall, and who knows what heavy damage it suffered, and what kind of reparations were done to it?
Who knows, maybe (or probably) in the future i will add some damage effects.

I've put my hands on some treasures…. namely a bunch of PC cooling fans, destined to waste (a good thing i have a friend that deals with PCs for work)

So, here we are: a big ventilation turbine for a subterranean AdMech complex. It can be fitting for Mars, Tallarn, Armagaddon… any place.
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lustria-online.com%2Fstyles%2Fdefault%2Fxenforo%2Fclear.png&hash=5ed8ef4fc524d8aafa34e8479eb5037e

here's the VIPs:

...and here's the final result!