• Got some models to paint? Want to do it as a challenge in a group who help and encourage each other? Join our Tale of Painters - Third Edition. Any models, any army!

Undead Legion of King Keladon

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Hey there CN! I've decided to re-start my beloved Vamps again after getting a bit bored of painting blue middenlanders. ;)

Some of you might have read the fluff for the king under the hill which is posted in the tales from the crypt section of the forum, these stories has sparked my interested in making my VC army even bigger by adding King Keladons legion. I have so far no model for the king himself but as I got my hands on a box of the new skeletons I've just painted a testmodel to share with you here.

I've went for the classic red scheme, because in ancient times Red was equal to power so I thought that King Keladon with all his might would dress his entire army with red. :)

These new skeletons and in a few weeks/months grave guard will be joined in with my current 2000 pts VC force to make it even bigger. :) I'll also post the progress on my vampiric blood knights here, the kastellan will be one of the first to join. ;)

So here are the first pics, please tell me what you think.

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Testmodel1.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Testmodel2.jpg

Oh and if anyone is interested I could post up the fluff here too.

Cheers for looking.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
The skeleton looks good boo, I am looking forward to seeing Keldon himself. Keep up your beautiful work

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thanks for the reply santa :) I have still not decided what to do with the king... gotta return to you about that. ;)

Now I have added a shield to the skeleton, how do you guys like him now?

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Testmodel3.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Testmodel4.jpg

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Well if your going for rotted wood painted red once upon a time its good. I really like the rust around the rum of the shield. Giving it the old feel to it.

But I dont think that sheild is gonna offer much of a save most of it is missing, Especially the place most likely to take a weapon blow. But hey that is good for your opponent I guess.

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
Very nice work Boo, looking forward to seeing a new force of these fellows. :thumbsup: How are you going to base them? Same as the rest of your army?

Meier Link

Zombie
really like the rusty look to the shield, and yay for skeletons, what with all the recent hype ghouls are getting as the "superior" core troop choice.

p.s skeletons are cool

witchking1980

Black Knight
The skeletons is very nice Boo! You could use a bit of devlan mud to make him look dirtier but that's a matter of taste :)

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Santawraith said:
Well if your going for rotted wood painted red once upon a time its good. I really like the rust around the rum of the shield. Giving it the old feel to it.

Thanks santa. :) I had a pain figuring out how to paint the rust but I think I pulled it off pretty good.

Santawraith said:
But I dont think that sheild is gonna offer much of a save most of it is missing, Especially the place most likely to take a weapon blow. But hey that is good for your opponent I guess.

Hehe, I guess you're right on that one ;)

Nikostratus said:
Very nice work Boo, looking forward to seeing a new force of these fellows. :thumbsup: How are you going to base them? Same as the rest of your army?

Cheers mate! :) I'm going to base them the same way as the rest as my army so that they will fit in better.

Meier Link said:
really like the rusty look to the shield, and yay for skeletons, what with all the recent hype ghouls are getting as the "superior" core troop choice.

p.s skeletons are cool

I agree, I've never liked ghouls at all to be honest, never owned a single model of them. :) Skeleton are cool.

witchking1980 said:
The skeletons is very nice Boo! You could use a bit of devlan mud to make him look dirtier but that's a matter of taste :)

Thank you. I have given him wash already but I'll consider it, this is the test model so I might give it a go to see how it looks. :)

I'm going to paint two of his friends today, so stay tuned for more!

Maelstrom

Skeleton
Very nice job sir, great rusty effect on him :) i'll have to go check out the fluff.

looking forward to more skellies and the rest of the blood knights :D

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thank you my good sir! :) Please do, I have a link in my sig. ;)

And for update, three more skeletons! The blood knights are up after I finish 7 of these skeletons. :)

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Firstfour1.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_Champion.jpg

Thanks for looking, feel free to leave some feedback :)

Fear444

Zombie
I like them, however I think the red is far too bright, especually for an army which is emerging from tombs and crypts, I would recommend you deaden the red down a bit with some black wash or devlin mud.

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Good stuff, the red is looking very nice :) now you just need to finish those blood knights off ;)

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
I want to mention something boo, I like the wooden shield better then the painted red one. Looks better.

They look like a good start to a unit. Looking forward to it being a fully done, Keep up the great work Boo.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Cheers for replies guys! :)

Fear444 said:
I like them, however I think the red is far too bright, especually for an army which is emerging from tombs and crypts, I would recommend you deaden the red down a bit with some black wash or devlin mud.

Thanks, I shall consider it. Although I like the red as it is. If you look on the back on the skeleton box there is a skeleton painted with the same tone of red as mine. ;) We will see how they look finished up and see if I decide to change it.

logan054 said:
Good stuff, the red is looking very nice :) now you just need to finish those blood knights off ;)

Cheers Logan. :) Yes I have to finish them. I'll tackle them after I finish the front rank of skeletons. Just three more to go plus the banner.

Santawraith said:
I want to mention something boo, I like the wooden shield better then the painted red one. Looks better.

I agree with you, but not all my shields will be wooden, some will still have their paint on, just to get some diversity in the unit. Thanks for saying :)

Santawraith said:
They look like a good start to a unit. Looking forward to it being a fully done, Keep up the great work Boo.

Thanks. :) Yes I will plough through these as fast as I can and then start on the bad ass Blood Knights (or continue is perhaps the better word.)

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
yes diversity is great, If you look at my skeletons I do the same thing. Was just saying I like the wooden one best.

Maelstrom

Skeleton
More nice work sir, new skellies are looking good though I would agree with Fear444 about the red, maybe a thin wash of devlan mud just to dirty it up a bit?

Read your Fluff to, it is Awesome left a comment over in its thread :)

sea.man

Grave Guard
My only feedback now is -give those reds more shades! You can also vary the rust a bit, giving it washes of orange and different browns:)

regards,
sea.man :konrad:

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Santawraith said:
yes diversity is great, If you look at my skeletons I do the same thing. Was just saying I like the wooden one best.

Right on mate. :)

Maelstrom said:
More nice work sir, new skellies are looking good though I would agree with Fear444 about the red, maybe a thin wash of devlan mud just to dirty it up a bit?

Thank you kind sir.
I don't want it to be dirtier than it is now, I think that the dirt effects ruins the paintjob, but if the overall unit is too bright I might give it a go. We will see. :)

Maelstrom said:
Read your Fluff to, it is Awesome left a comment over in its thread :)

Cheers! :) There is more now since you read it the last time.

sea.man said:
My only feedback now is -give those reds more shades! You can also vary the rust a bit, giving it washes of orange and different browns

The red is more shaded than it looks, the picture kind of ruins the effect. I agree with you, just looking at the model on the pic, I would suggest more shading as well, but I'll actually go over them again with a darker shade of red. The rust is being mixed up a bit, I just varies the amount of red and it should look fine. This is the first time I've tried this rust effect on my minis. :) Thanks for the feedback.

and a small update: I've finished the last three for the front rank so as soon as I've painted them it's time for blood knights!

Burnanation

Crypt Horror
Looks good! More pictures! The wood on the shield looks good. What did you use for your rust?

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
Skelies are looking good :thumbsup: Any progress on a figure for the king yet?

Kaizer

Zombie
I like the way you do the bone on the skeleton a lot :)
I think you should keep the red as it is - I think it would look impressive on an entire army with a bright red. Fierce! :)

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Really nice work Boo. The rust especially is superbly done. The only issue I have as mentioned before is the bright red, only because the rest of the model is decayed / rusted and then the bright red cloth seems out of place. I would either have the red dulled down to fit with the rest of the model, or don't make the rest of the model as decayed.