• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Undead Legions Hierotitans

Wait what? Are You guys saying that Hierotitan affect every single undead legion wizard adding d3 for casting total (within the range of course)? Or is it affect liche priests only? Because exact wording is. "Hierotitan act as magical loci for armys liche priests. While friendly Nehekharan undead wizard is casting ...." And Nagashbook clearly states that Every thing in TomKing book and VC book will affect each others. If this is so then that titan fellow is just insane magicbooster. Every Lov spell would get 3-5+ for every casting by combining titan and engine.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Thread moved to 'Laws of the Night'. 'Dying to help' is a forum for help with painting and modelling, not for rules questions.

Edit: Also changed the title to include 'Undead Legions' for clarity.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
They do indeed stack. Just keep the titan and engines from getting shot down and you're golden.

Just note that you will still have to use 2 or more dice to cast to avoid the 1-in-3 chance of 'not enough power' for a natural dice total of 2 or less regardless of the actual casting value.

Banat

Varghulf
Yes, I'm a big fan of the Heirotitan. You can afford to be much more conservative with your dice, saving more for your big summoning spell at the end of the phase. Use it's Shem's Gaze (and Spirit Leech if you're in range) to draw out the opponents dispel dice too. If they decide to let them go (because they're more worried about dispelling your big summon) then they'll risk losing rank and file and possibly even their hero. If you've got your Casket on as well then you've got your Light of whatsit to further draw out their dice or risk having multiple units torn apart. If I'm taking my casket I can generally speaking also afford to play my Cursed book more often, getting off vital debuffs on that dangerous looking unit.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Why only one summon spell? Take Nagash, and drop three summon spells every phase. No army can realistically let ANY of those spells through, let alone three of them every turn. God, if you got all three off you could drop 1,500 points of Undead into their back lines. And scary undead too, not just skeletons or zombies. Can you imagine dropping 8 Bloodknights with full command, 9 Vargheists, AND a Mortarch into the back lines of your enemies army? On turn one?!

Man, I can't wait to get my Nagash model finished.

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Why only one summon spell? Take Nagash, and drop three summon spells every phase. No army can realistically let ANY of those spells through, let alone three of them every turn. God, if you got all three off you could drop 1,500 points of Undead into their back lines. And scary undead too, not just skeletons or zombies. Can you imagine dropping 8 Bloodknights with full command, 9 Vargheists, AND a Mortarch into the back lines of your enemies army? On turn one?!

Nice idea but easier said than done I feel. Remember that your opponent has dispel dice and possibly a scroll or similar, and that you have to get into range.

bigbadbat

Harbinger of Dandelions
True Blood
Hierotitan and Casket are must includes for Nagash me thinks.
I will be uploading a batrep featuring this today.

Banat

Varghulf

With the exception of the Blood Knights (currently unconstructed) I don't really have the models to capitalise on Nagash's summoning, so for the most part it would be a waste. You need ~15 Black Knights for his Dark Riders, 8 Blood Knights, I haven't worked out how many Necro Knights he can summon.

I'd love to be able to drop 100 zombies on the enemy in one go though. Right in front of his elite infantry. There you go, there's YOUR job for the rest of the battle. What? 10 Vargheists just appeared behind you?

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
I'd love to be able to drop 100 zombies on the enemy in one go though. Right in front of his elite infantry. There you go, there's YOUR job for the rest of the battle. What? 10 Vargheists just appeared behind you?
Lol at this one. Pretty easy to do too with Nagash.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Are we really sure we can summon the Mortarchs with the monster summoning spell? Their listing says Monster (special character). Similarly, Vlad and Krell's listing says Infantry (special character). I don't think we could summon Vlad or Krell with the Grave Call spell just because their description says "infantry" and I'm really not sure we could summon a Mortarch with the monster summoning spell just because their description says "monster".

Demian

Vampire Count
Even of we can't summon other monster-characters, it's pretty bad to have a brand new Terrorgheist just scream from where you can't harm it, and man those screams tear units down...

Also, do we know what's the base size of the Hierotitan? Chariot or Varghulf-like?

D:

There is no hierotitan model, and thus no standard base size. Most people run a 50x50 because it's the smallest easily-justifiable size. However you could just as easily put him on a chariot base and nobody would complain.

As for use, yeah the hierotitan is pretty awesome. He's just a bit expensive, and a bit fragile against cannons. However with UL you should have enough giant scary targets to keep cannons busy, and can always hide him behind a wall of crypt horrors either way.