• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Undead Pirate Army

WoT

Zombie
I've just got through with reading the new Nagash book and was really interested in Luthor Harkon, he comes across as a pretty care free vampire. I was thinking about how a force of his would work on the table top, I know that certain units would be very suitable such as fellbats, loads of zombies and bat swarms, but what else do you think would work and add to the army? I was thinking maybe some of the spectral units may work lore wise, but I wasn't sure about other units.

Banat

Varghulf
Skeletons converted to wield large oars instead of spears.

Standards could look like ship sails.

Corpse cart could be a load of zombies heaving along a boat?

Heroes would be First Mate and Quartermaster (I imagine Quartermaster would fill a similar role to a Necrotect, or a Beastmaster, providing buffs etc). Navigator could be your hero level Wizard with access to Lore of Heavens maybe?

Grave Guard would be Marines.

Ghouls might be ship slaves? Lurking in the bowels of the ships.

Vargheists, Crypt Horrors, Varghulf would be more difficult to fit into the theme... I don't know if you've heard of the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner (about a man who kills an albatross and has to wear it around his neck and is haunted by it), I don't know if you could have a Terrorgheist as a giant zombie albatross...

WoT

Zombie
Skeletons converted to wield large oars instead of spears.

Standards could look like ship sails.

Corpse cart could be a load of zombies heaving along a boat?

Heroes would be First Mate and Quartermaster (I imagine Quartermaster would fill a similar role to a Necrotect, or a Beastmaster, providing buffs etc). Navigator could be your hero level Wizard with access to Lore of Heavens maybe?

Grave Guard would be Marines.

Ghouls might be ship slaves? Lurking in the bowels of the ships.

Vargheists, Crypt Horrors, Varghulf would be more difficult to fit into the theme... I don't know if you've heard of the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner (about a man who kills an albatross and has to wear it around his neck and is haunted by it), I don't know if you could have a Terrorgheist as a giant zombie albatross...
Those are some great ideas thanks :D Do you think spirit ghosts would work, and banshees could be something like sirens?

What would be a suitable set up to represent Luthor Harkon himself?

I too have started a Vampire Coast army recently. I was so excited when I read that Luthor Harkon was in Nagash, and he's one of his 9 lords! :)

I used Empire Militia mixed with Zombies to make my Zombie Pirates. Gave a bunch of Skeletons pistols, eyepatches and hats. Currently converting some Ogre Leadbelchers to use as Crypt Horrors (they look fairly piratey anyway).

Apparently bats are his thing too, so there's another few units. My Terrorgheist is a Dark Elves Kharibdyss (imagine a rotting leviathan reanimated for him).

Lots of cool options for unit fillers too:
- treasure chests, blackpowder kegs and palm trees
- Empire Cannons being pushed along by Zombies
- Queen Bess! It's a Hell-hammer cannon that he uses in the fight against the Zandri fleet. Use an Ironblaster cannon on a Screaming Bell base.

I really need to put photos up of this stuff... :)

WoT

Zombie
Do you think screaming skull catapults would work for them instead of the cannons? That's if I was going by the current Undead Legion list rather than that pirate list, people at my store ain't really open to non official lists.

Banat

Varghulf
Definitely cannon, they'd bring the ship's cannon with them to battle! Catapults would be "ok" but thematically cannons hit the nail on the head. Almost makes me want to have some of this army myself!

Just finished reading through the list linked above. Definitely use it, was a very good fun fluffy list.

Last edited:
If you're concerned about players having issues with the old WD list, use model substitution! Convert some Zombie-crewed cannons and use them as Screaming Skull Catapults. :)

As for Luthor Harkon himself, the Nagash scenario states that he has Flying Horror. Possible setup could be:
Vampire Lord, lvl 4, Armour Silvered Steel, 4++, Red Fury, Flying Horror, & great weapon or additional hand weapon.

Don't forget his 2nd - Captain Drekla, the Silver Hook of Sartosa! Maybe make him your BSB.

Oppenheimer

Crypt Horror
I thought he was really neat too. I read that his zombies can take firearms according to the one White Dwarf article he showed up in. Of course in the VC book they have a BS of 0 so there's that.
I liked the idea of his flying ability described in the book as wings that look like sails. Wish there was a fun zombie vampire model out there for him. Hopefully in 9e he gets a model.
I'd say that Luthor should definetly have additional hand weapon since it describes him as such in the text when he kills that heirophant. I love how he thought that would make the TK army crumble haha I can imagine the look of triumph on his face at that point only to see nothing happen.