• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Undead stronghold fluff

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Greetings! Been thinking about it for a while. As I want to create fluff for my undead, one particular moment got me thinking - how a typical vampire lord lair stronghold would look like? I would imagine something like a large fortress with towers and bastions, and inside you would have everything you need for conquests and maintaining a large army, but with some key differences. For example, your warriors need no sleep, food or rest altogether, so no living quarters and barracks. Second, your undead need to be sustained by dark magic, so when you are at home you can build magical structures to sustain them, like crystal towers and sorcerous braziers. Third, you can easily have your necromancers devising new toys for you, as well as creating new forms of undead, so you can build a laboratory or two for them. Other than that I would imagine having training quarters, forges, armories, dungeons, torture chambers and the like. What do you think?

Borgnine

Staff member
I think you are going in the right direction.

I tried remembering the vampire castle from games like Skyrim and Witcher and one thing that was there and you didn't mention is a 'slave pen' of sorts, basically, some humans being kept like chickens to be fed upon the vampires. Some food reserves are important if you are besieged ;)

Besides that, maybe an arena? To throw there some monsters or captured knights and watch them fight?

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
I tried remembering the vampire castle from games like Skyrim and Witcher and one thing that was there and you didn't mention is a 'slave pen' of sorts, basically, some humans being kept like chickens to be fed upon the vampires. Some food reserves are important if you are besieged ;)
You are right! I did forget it. Yeah, you never know how successful your conquest or raid ist, so having a personal slave pen is a good idea. ^_^
Besides that, maybe an arena? To throw there some monsters or captured knights and watch them fight?
Certainly! Especially to test your new creations in real conditions ^_^

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
There would need to be bedrooms and/or rest chambers for the vampires and necromancers though. Vampires do maintain some aspects of human behaviour and very much tend to keeping grand bedchambers to highlight their aristocratic credentials, even if they don't necessary actually sleep in the bed. Vampires may also make use of coffins to replenish or to hide away from the sun during daylight hours. Necromancers, meanwhile, are still somewhat human, so may actually need sleep from time to time. As a result, I'd envisage a grand bedchamber or two for the most senior vampires, and some rudimentary living quarters for the rest.

It must also be said that much can depend on the type of vampire you are thinking of. While many fall into this aristocratic and 'lord/lady of the castle' type, there are also wandering vampires, vampires which have become feral, or just those who shun the aristocratic lifestyle for a number of reasons. There is, therefore, plenty of scope for creativity here.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
There would need to be bedrooms and/or rest chambers for the vampires and necromancers though.
Agree, that's definitely true, which I have overlooked. Which can be truly greatly decorated with skins, banners, bas-reliefs and such stuff.

It must also be said that much can depend on the type of vampire you are thinking of. While many fall into this aristocratic and 'lord/lady of the castle' type, there are also wandering vampires, vampires which have become feral, or just those who shun the aristocratic lifestyle for a number of reasons.
true also! In this regard, I especially like the "barbarian" style - more like Early Middle Ages than Renaissance or something like that. It truly suits the grim and simplistic nature of the realm of death.

There is, therefore, plenty of scope for creativity here.
Could not have said better myself. Especially because we already have those two different vibes - ghoul vampires who are feral and more civilized Soulblights. I do hope the latter get their own tome eventually.