• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
But vampires won't allow their minions to use bows and crossbows! They fire essentialy wooden stakes and a vampire lord worth his fangs wouldn't trust the skeletons to not shoot him by mistake ;) That's also why banshees and bats are allowed.

As for the items - yes, we could use some more, but to our defense, we've got better than than O&G with all that 100point ridiculous items.

And the core units - 1000x times yes! Most often the problem in armybuilding is how to reach the 25% threshold, especially in bigger games. Maybe we'll get something - but I don't really know what could it be.. maybe light skeleton/zombie cavalry?

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom
But vampires won't allow their minions to use bows and crossbows! They fire essentialy wooden stakes and a vampire lord worth his fangs wouldn't trust the skeletons to not shoot him by mistake ;) That's also why banshees and bats are allowed.

As for the items - yes, we could use some more, but to our defense, we've got better than than O&G with all that 100point ridiculous items.

And the core units - 1000x times yes! Most often the problem in armybuilding is how to reach the 25% threshold, especially in bigger games. Maybe we'll get something - but I don't really know what could it be.. maybe light skeleton/zombie cavalry?

I distinctly remember Slvanian Crossbowmen and even the Bretonian Lance formation in our old books.
The lord would trust them... He just may want to be behind them when they are doing his shooting for him. ;)

With luck perhaps they will give us core levies back so we can have living and undead forces again. :D

Nov 13, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Some things I want to see:

1) Unstable toned down. It's the single biggest impediment to undead.

2) More ranged attacks. We don't need warmachines, but SOMETHING would be nice. Something fire breathing like the LM salamanders, maybe?

3) Better lore selection. Just death/vampires on Necros is boring. And why give VLs access to shadow if he HAS to be your general and thus HAS to take LoV? It's just a tease.

4) +1W or +1T on the hero vampires. They cost as much as other armies' lord choices yet are ridonculously fragile.

5) More viable combinations of vampire powers. I think RF needs to be more expensive, while the rest should get a bit cheaper.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
The problem is that since fear and terror became terrible we have been paying a premium along side having unstable for 0 advantage.
We really do need the rules for them to change in 9th or ourselves to be changed around it.

A save on the TG would be nice but I will be surprised if it does not get nerfed in our new book, they are not op but people cry about them as they get no saves.

snyggejygge

Skeleton
Jun 28, 2014
Minor Changes I would like:
If you´re steadfast you lose less models to crumble (not sure on how many)
Overall more expensive bsb upgrade, it´s fine at 25 pts for undead since they don´t gain as much, but other armies should pay at least 50 Points for it.
More balanced Vampiric Powers, some should be more expensive (Red Fury) & others either better or cost less.
More weaponoptions for skeletons, bows & greatweapons is the first thing that comes to my mind.
a minor save for the Terrorgheist, while he is a nightmare to some armies, a small 6+ or even 5+ regen wouldn´t hurt.

Other than that I Think VC is fine & very balanced as it is.

@Pirate Robot Ninja of Death: Concerning Vampires costing as much as other armies Lord choices, yes they are expensive, but look at what you get, better stats than most heroes in the game, as well as spellcasting abilities & not only 50 Points of magic item allowance, but Bloodline Powers as well. If they would get another Point of toughness or an extra wound they would cost even more & I mean a lot more.
I Think atm you´re spoiled because of how good the Wight Kings defensive stats look like & compare it to him & not other armies characters. For example Chaos is the closest we get to equal pointslevel on heroes, comparing to those an Exalted Hero of Chaos has +1 WS +1 LD & +1 I over a Vampire, while being a bit slower, costs 5 Points more, but has no spellcasting abilities, are just as squishy, & are not immune to any psychology, only real upside is his Chaos armour, which is hardly worth being a spellcaster. Now compare it to Chaos Sorcerer, it costs 5 more base Points, but then it has -2 M, -1 WS, - 1S, -1I as well as -2 A, only gaining +1 LD & Chaos armour, the Vampire is an excellent hero choice that is very well priced imo.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
More weapon options for skeletons, bows & greatweapons is the first thing that comes to my mind.
a minor save for the Terrorgheist, while he is a nightmare to some armies, a small 6+ or even 5+ regen wouldn´t hurt.
The TG already has 6+ regen. I would love to have great weapons or bows available for skeles. I would happily pay up to 3 extra points for those options.

Ejay

Zombie
Jan 3, 2014
The problem is that since fear and terror became terrible we have been paying a premium along side having unstable for 0 advantage.
We really do need the rules for them to change in 9th or ourselves to be changed around it.

A save on the TG would be nice but I will be surprised if it does not get nerfed in our new book, they are not op but people cry about them as they get no saves.
um they get ward saves against tg

snyggejygge

Skeleton
Jun 28, 2014
The TG already has 6+ regen. I would love to have great weapons or bows available for skeles. I would happily pay up to 3 extra points for those options.

You are correct, my bad, for some reason I thought he had none, then increase it to 5+, I Think any better & it will need to cost a lot more Points or people would compare it to K´daii Destroyers & abominations!
Yeah I could see myself paying 8 pts / skeleton if they had GW´s or bows.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
um they get ward saves against tg

95% of models don't get a ward save, they are far and in between which is exactly why people don't like things which remove their armour.
We all know about "other forms of save" but they do not need explaining as we all know them and the effects of TG.

Ghouls being a bit cheaper again would not hurt to make them a viable option and possibly cheaper skeletons, yes they are 5 points but they are weaker than skaven slaves at double the points (if the slave has a shield).

Jul 13, 2012
Assuming new book/edition?

Abyssal terror as hero mount - I'd actually like to convert and use one, but not risking my General with it even in friendlies

Raise cost of Red Fury for Lords only, but lower base cost of Vampire Lord. MotBA cold use a drop to 55 pts.

Rethink Wind of Death entirely

I always thought it odd that the army of undeath almost only features Special Characters that's actually snuffed it. Sure keep Count Mannfred, Kemmler and Krell, but lets see new faces in place of the others

Crumble is a relic from when other armies too panic tests when the general died. It's too devastating (combined with loss of march moves) and makes Blender lords necessary rather than cheesy

I'd like to see Hero Vamps being a bit more customizable. Access to Abyssal Terrors and starting without the magic level would help. I'd also like to see a purchaseable (but suitably expensive) upgrade allowing a unit with the Vampire to march

Lord Astaroth

Zombie
Feb 11, 2014
Definitely they should give access to bloodlines which will alter how the vampire plays, such as necrachs having slightly lower WS but greater magic capability and the opposite for blood dragons.

As for a new unit, Perhaps something that's similar to the mortis engine but instead uses a bound spell of raise dead and invocation each turn and maybe even the potential to generate more dice for magic? IMO I liked the old zombie rule about them dragging people down instead of pursuing.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Bringing back the bloodlines has been argued over for many years, some love it, some don't. I personally would love to see them back xd

Nov 13, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
If bloodlines came back I'd like to see them as options rather than upgrades. Something that isn't an objective tradeoff but lets you play something different and interesting. Sort of like Chapter Traits for 40k space marines.

Making Abyssal Terrors a monstrous beast would be nice as well. Might actually give them a place in the roster if my vamp BSB could be monstrous cav.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu