• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

JamesA

Zombie
Sep 16, 2020
S8 8PQ
Hi all looking for help...about to play 2700 points game and i'm really struggling to work out how we gonna beat them!

this is my list:
vampire blender lord
sword of might, red fury, quickblood, armour of destiny, shield

lvl 3 master necromancer with book of arkhan and talisman of preservation (only went lvl 3 as have mortis for +2 and book of arkhan for effective 4th spell!)

Core
40skeletons
43 skeletons
20 zombies
20 zombies
2* 5 dire wolves

Special
5 hexwraiths
8 crypt horrors
20 grave guard with great weapons (we agreed no elite hordes)

Rare
2 terrorgheist
1 mortis engine

he said he plans to 'castle' and just sit back with 2 cannons. 1 organ gun and a big 30 horde of dwarf warriors.

any tips on how im gonna be able to engage him without getting hammered? i might not be able to get the space to use my hexwraiths and gheists to get in and take out artillery and my core is gonna get ripped apart by his core!

Any tips greatly appreciated!

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Hi James. First off: Why have you agreed on no elite hordes? And then on to some tips:

Now that you know what you are going to face I would change your list a lot. Your terrogheists and mortis engine will get wrecked by the cannons so I wouldn't bring them. Hexwraiths are good though so I would bring a lot of them instead. I would also change your Master Necromancer to level 4 and choose Lore of Death and hope get Purple Sun (throw that through the dwarves and watch them evaporate). Your grave guard will get shredded in combat as 20 dies quickly and they strike last so they won't even get to swing. I would also suggest that you bring Baby Blenders (vampire heroes with Red Fury) and put them in your Skeleton busses. That way you can engage the dwarves and kill them in CC. You can also bring a couple of units of Vargheists to threaten his backline and take out Gyrocopters and the like.

Reactions: Unas the slayer

JamesA

Zombie
Sep 16, 2020
S8 8PQ
Hi James. First off: Why have you agreed on no elite hordes? And then on to some tips:

Now that you know what you are going to face I would change your list a lot. Your terrogheists and mortis engine will get wrecked by the cannons so I wouldn't bring them. Hexwraiths are good though so I would bring a lot of them instead. I would also change your Master Necromancer to level 4 and choose Lore of Death and hope get Purple Sun (throw that through the dwarves and watch them evaporate). Your grave guard will get shredded in combat as 20 dies quickly and they strike last so they won't even get to swing. I would also suggest that you bring Baby Blenders (vampire heroes with Red Fury) and put them in your Skeleton busses. That way you can engage the dwarves and kill them in CC. You can also bring a couple of units of Vargheists to threaten his backline and take out Gyrocopters and the like.
Cheers for tips... Im just not a fan of elite hordes... I think they are point sinks and my gaming group just not keen on them. We use core hordes as no one seems to mind them. Also, 2 of our 5 in group are new and can only muster 12-1500 points so bringing a horde of 40 grave guard to those games was just...not fun.

we always agree before hand what our rules are so will use them at some point, but we have a gentlemans agreement to list building!

We played last night and i did actually get the win! my opponent is absolutely hopeless at rolling dice though haha. 2 misfires in row put his cannon out of action. my Hexwraiths soul strided his other cannon so they did nothing all game! my Terrorgheists were equally as hopeless but my Crypt horrors (on your reccomendation) were fantastic and held up his hammerers and 30 core block of warriors (with the mortis engine buffing them)

My opponent is not the best as her too keen to get in combat and just wants to charge me so he could have held back and used organ gun better but was a fun game!

regarding Vargheists.... i have 3, taken them twice and they just get destroyed. I am just not using them correctly and need to have a think about what they are on the table for!

thank you for reply though.... (Still check your guide every time i build a list!) :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu