• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Vampire Display Board!

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
I've finally started ordering stuff for my Vampire Count Display/Carrying case. I'm getting the EPS (Polystyrene or whatever) foam soon, and I've even found some plasticard/suitable material to model buildings and such out of. I'm excited.

Anyways, here's my basic 'Sketch' of what it will look like, with some notes on the Wonderful Paint program. Don't laugh at my artistic skills, or I'll send rob to Sodomize you. :happy:

I have a few buildings that I know I'm going to be adding in, such as a Tavern of sorts with zombies coming out, a Butchers block with Zombies being built out of carcasses, and a Blacksmiths shop being visited/instructed by the local Wight King, the terrified Smith working himself to death. (Don't hurt me, I had to make the pun)

So yes, this is the basic design, and I'm going to encase it in a wooden carrying case for travel purposes, all models will be magnetized, and the Zombies are going to be hidden inside the buildings, basicaly encircling the town square; so the buildings will be removable to allow me access to the zombies that I so desperately crave.

Since I'm waiting on the Foam for the base/Cobblestone/Ground I'm going to buy the building material and begin working on the perimeter later this week. Stay tuned for sporadic updates!

Redarmy27

True Blood
Nice! I can't wait to see it. Too bad you couldn't find a clear plexiglass top for it so that you could see it at all times. Actually, you could probably make your own top like that if you just cut the pieces yourself and put a handle on top of it! I've considered doing the same thing for my army.

Jake

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sounds like a great idea, it will be interesting to see how it works out. :thumbsup:

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Good call on the Plexiglass, Redarmy. If I can find some I'll definitely do that! My basic idea is to have a removable 'Ceiling' to allow access to the miniatures, so the plexiglass top would work out perfectly. I'll start looking for some as soon as I can. =)

Until then, I'm picking up the Plasticard/Building material today, so I should at least have the outlines/Bare bones mock up by the end of the week.

consider yourselve watched by me onikaigo! :suck:

And i demand recent updates.

Project sounds great. cant wait to see some pics!

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
It's going to be slow, but I've got things in motion! I found Corkboard today too, don't know exactly what I'm going to do with it, but I've got Cork.

I've got the Foam ordered, so I think the next step is to get a hold of the Foam, and then cut/Paint it where it needs to be, then paint a whoooole lot of Cobblestone. So, once I get Foam + Safe on Polystyrene paint, I'll post some updates.

Oh, and a new camera. I need one of those too.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
So I've taken the Woodworking safety class, and started to price out exactly what I need for the board, and I'm needing some opinions.

Keeping the same rough design above (Which encompasses all my current/Planned models), but it's the case itself I'm pondering.

Since the case is going to lie flat, with a Glass/Plexiglass ceiling to look through, I need several things brainstormed in order to protect this through Military Moves (Rough, rough handling).

1) IF I can only find clear Glass, how can I protect the glass 'Ceiling'? One idea I had thought of is making the top fo the case like a 'Book', with a 1/4 inch wood cover that I could open to reveal models inside. It would add a bit of weight to the case, but it would definitely allow for the glass/Models to be protected, and it'd look damn cool on a display stand. It would also offer modelling opportunities (Book Cover/Lock, carved designs/symbols on the top, maybe some gold/silver leaf, etc), but makes building the case itself much more difficult by including multiple hinges, different measurements, etc.

2) How can I transport this? Everything is going to be magnetized, so putting it on it's side shouldn't be too much of an issue, but if I'm going to carry it into my gaming shop I want to have a hand free to get the door. Should I make it Suitcase style, with the odels suspended sideways, or rig up some carrying straps to leave it suspended horizontally, and just carry it further out at my side like a duffel bag?

the Hobby/Wood shop on base has all sorts of tools, Glass framing services, and skilled help so I should see progress soon. I've got to get this thing built by the end of the year when I Move, so the movers don't demolish all I've worked so hard to collect.

Ideas! Brainstorm!

Abbysal

Crypt Horror
Hey Oni, can I make a suggestion for the buildings? I have made some great fantasy buildings with the card from the GW packs and cereal boxes. Using Super glue really makes them strong. Also I have the GW empire city book with loads of great templates on pdf that I can send you, it has a tavern and everything even a water mill! I'll post a couple of pictures of my (two thirds) finished buildings to see what you think.

Oh and I would opt for plastic instead of glass.