• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Aren

Crypt Horror
Sep 22, 2010
Greetings my fellow un-dead brethren, I have a question which has been nagging at me for quite a while. You see, I have devoted myself to two sole targets for now and they are: Warhammer, Warhammer and even more Warhammer and writing a book about Vampires and Mages and Titans and Necromancers and so on (I could go on about it for ages). The main character (Aren) is the great vampire lord. He commands scores of other vampires and vampire lords. Now we all know that the book would suck if he and the other vampires could't be killed. There is one problem though, as there are many ways to kill a vampire (excuse the pun) and throughout folklore and myths some are just plain silly. Like garlic for exaple and crossing a running stream. I mean why should the greatest lord of the night be afraid of a stinking vegetable, or not be able to cross a bit of water. I write this thread to discern the truth from the myth shall we say. I, in my time have encountered many a chlidish book about vampires, in some the great vampires sparkled in the sun like preety silver unicorns and in others the only thing they seemed to do was to bed human women. I need some ideas for SERIOUS vampires, please post anything you think is relevant. :vampire3:

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
There's some interesting stuff about the Warhammer Vampires that you can find in our current army book (or atleast I think it's in there...). Basically, a Vampire's weaknesses outside of being destroyed in battle (which is usually but a temporary vacation) is dictated largely by his own beliefs. Being physically dead, the only thing keeping a Vampire going is his unnatural power of will. If his faith in himself lessens for whatever reason (perhaps he had an unpleasant experience with garlic early in his undead life?), that will in turn diminish his strength for the duration of the encounter.

There's also mentioning of crossing rivers in the fluff for our Vampires as well, and the text chalks it up to it being individual to the rivers in question, with all the myriad of attributes they can possess in the Warhammer world.

Anyway, the book also reads that the surest way of utterly destroying a powerful Vampire is to dismember his fallen body and scatter the pieces far and wide. A slain Vampire cannot usually revive himself but instead need to rely on loyal followers to perform some kind of a ritual to restore his body, which can become problematic if they can't find all the parts required.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
As far as I can tell, it varies depending on the age and power of the vampire in question.
Holy Symbols and the like are unlikely to ever kill a vampire, but can be used to hold of the vampire (a winds of magic driven unconscious battle of wills)
Garlic would never actually hurt a vampire as far as I can tell. Might make him a bit itchy or be a bit repulsive to him.
Sunlight I have heard can kill weak or very young vampires, while I imagine the older a vampire the longer it can tolerate the sun.
Fire is probably just as hazardous (at least to a young vampire) as it is to anyone else.
Vampires can be killed via the usual methods (dismemberment, impaling, stabbing, decapitation, etc) but their remains can then be placed in a black coach or similar magical coffiny thingy, enabling them to suck in dark magic and regenerate slowly. Also, items like the carstein ring can make a vampire pretty much unkillable (well, killable, but will always revive)
Some rivers have holy or magical properties that make it difficult for vampires, and one vampire had grave dirt placed in a ship so he could traverse the water (whether it was neccesary or just a comfort/power thing I dont know)

Aren

Crypt Horror
Sep 22, 2010
hmm, yeah crosses and such are kind of outdated for killing vamps. I'd say though that a normal stab from a mundane weapon won't kill a vampire and not even hurt some of the older ones. The main weapon of choice from a lot of myths is silver, now while its rather stupid for a vampire to burn him/her self with a bit of silver, a good stab should do the trick.

Count Lasombra

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jul 10, 2010
Memphis
It depends on the cosmology and whether or not the vampire is a cursed(damned) creature,or just undead and driven by dark will.If it's a curse then it's borne of mystycism and given over to all sorts of odd rules and stipulations imposed by the curse.Otherwise it's the accepted physics and limits of his condition.i personally envision vamps as getting more resilient to physical attacks over time as they become less dependant on the physical and yet more vulnerable to sunlight as they plunge ever deeper into darkness.Staking paralyses them,burning destroys.Not entering buildings w/o permission and the use of holy symbols represent the inherent power of goodness over evil spirits and the guardian hearth spirit's protection.The garlic is the spirit of the herb at enmity with the creature,and is a magically based taboo aversion probably invented to cause peasant children to eat garlic(it's good for the blood ;)-vampires...not so much :suck:)

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
Feb 23, 2010
Right Behind you...
Aren said:
Now we all know that the book would suck if he and the other vampires could't be killed.
Lol.
Vampires suck....
Blood.

Oh. My god.
Did you know that Aren is actually the name of one of my characters in my stories? Although he's not a powerful vampire lord, but a moody Wood Elf... Oh well, coincidence.
I hope.

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2010
Plymouth
This is bit of a tricky one, I guess it comes down to weart your draw the line between the vampire being aan actual force of evil or being over powered. If it has no exploitable weakness, surely it would rule the world?
Personally I go with the following...

Stabbing throught the heart - Death! doesnt matter if its a breadknife or finely whittled hawthorne stake. Never been a fan of a particular type of tree stake. Stabbed in the heart is stabbed in the heart.
Decapitation - Death!
Appropriate magical Vampire killing spell -Death!

Garlic - keeps at bay but causes not a practical weapon.
Sunlight - Direct kills but can be tolerated depending on intensity and power of vamp
Fire - A good way of purifying a vampires corpse but would cause no harm to a vampire, damage to body would be regenerated.
Holy Symbol - Only if the vampire in life belived in the symbol. Why would it affect them if it didnt?
Running water - Ridiculous! forget about it.

Count Lasombra

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jul 10, 2010
Memphis
The running water thing is a also based on mysticism,some elements have a sort of binding affect on certain types of evil spirits,like salt circles.The flowing water is a vamps antithesis as he is the embodiment of stagnation,frozen in death forever.
What you need to decide is what exactly your vamps ARE...How did they come into being? Is there a God in your universe? Is there a such thing as good/evil? if so why?
How do vamps fit into all this? Answer these and the solution to your previous question should present itself.

Aren

Crypt Horror
Sep 22, 2010
Gods - 2 sub gods -MAKER- they guy who made nearly everything, looks a bit like that golden armoured chaos guy with long hair
-DESTROYER- they guy who destroys stuff, brings oblivion, he only created one race-vampires but they are far superior to any other race, thats why the Maker is pissed off with him

Vampires- are human shaped but some of the older ones can alter their appearance. Many times stronger, faster and tougher than a human. Hunger for blood and their self control diminishes if they don't drink it. Have a hierarchy forming of normal vampires, 12 lords and one great lord. Can controll magic but have a very strict moral code and think that if your opponent can't use magic then it would be cowardly to do so your self.

good and evil- no one and nothing is good/evil but their actions are. A mage can be working for the ........ (havn't thought of a name yet for the thing that most mages work for) yet kill a whole vilage of innocent.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu