• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Vamps vs. Chaos mortals 11/11/08

Last night's battle pitted my vampies again vs. the Warriors of Chaos.

Armies (1200 pts)
Lady Katen Gersidi (Vamp, Avatar of Death, Beguile, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield)
Lady Shanala Gersidi (Vamp, Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls)
Lord Navarre, Death Knight of Sylvania (Wight King, Sword of Kings)
Unfortunate Peasants from a nearby hamlet (20 Zombies)
The Children of Shanala (10 Ghouls)
Personal Guard of Lord Antonitus Gersidi (10 Black Knights, full command, unbarded)

Enemy
15 Chaos Warriors
15 Chaos Warriors
5 Chaos Knights
1 Chaos Hero
2 Chaos Sorcerors

Terrain consisted of one large (really big) mountain on the left hand side aand two slightly smaller mountains on the right hand side. Forest clumps were on each players right hand side.

Chaos sets up to march between the mountains. Vamps set up right near the table edge to put as much distance between myself and enemy. Knights setup as close as possible to the mountain on my left.

Chaos goes first
Turn 1: Chaos Knights advance through the mountain pass. Warriors follow. Black Knights advance and take position on top of the left hand mountain (etheral movement rocks). Lady Katen raises a unit of zombies in front of the Chaos Knights.

Turn 2: Chaos kngihts charge zombies, destroy them and overrun. They are then charged by my Black Knights from the rear and the Children of Shanala and Lord Navarre. Navarre challenges Chaos Hero to a duel. Results in a tie. Black Knights destroy all enemy forces on the charge and pursue and slay the fleeing hero.

Turn 3: Chaos advances, vamps reposition.

Turn 4: Chaos advances, vamps recover strength from Chaos magical attacks. New unit of zombies raised in front of Chaos warriors (bait).

Turn 5: Chaos advances, destroys zombie unit placing them in charge range of my cavalry. They subsequently charge the enemy in the flank with Lord Navarre challenging the second Chaos Hero to a duel, slaying him instantly with his magical ancient relic. The Knights break the enemy, pursue and run down the fleeing warriors.

Turn 6: The remaining Chaos unit advances. Black Knights reposition for final charge.

Turn 7: Chaos advances. Black Knights charge and break the final unit of warriors, pursue and eliminate them and the final hero.

Total losses:
Chaos 1200 points (total army loss)
Vamps 100 points (two units of raised zombies, no losses to starting forces).

My opponent played quite poor I think. With only three maneuver groups (two of them infantry) it was enevitable that he would be outmaneuvered and destroyed. Chaos is indeed strong but not that I have played them a few times they are not invincible. Flank and rear charges can almost eliminiate their AS and allow heavy cavalry to cut them down like wheat. My core troops actually saw no combat since all casualties were inflicted by the Dukes bodyguard and Navarre. All were of course subsequently either raised as new zombie slaves or given to the Children of Shanala to feast upon.

I think he would have done better with Chaos Marauders vs. the Warriors. Also, Chaos Knights charging the whole enemy army on their own was just plain foolish on his part.

Does your 2 vampire heoes were in the Ghoul unit?
If not, were they wandering alone?

I also think that a unit of 10 Black knights at this size of the game is really too much eggs in one basket. You could have divided it.

I also don't quite understand your first vampire setup. Why put avatar of death if you're hero already has a magic weapon and shield?

All in all, as you say, your opponent played poorly. He should have brought some marauders and hounds to redirect and march block your big knights unit while his caster and infantry blocks destroy your small army.

The two vamps were on their own and my wight king was in the ghouls. I also had a corpse cart with lodestone as well. Forgot to mention that. Terrain is always a big part of my strategy. The local Chaos players tend to go heavy on the Warriors and Knights, marauders, hounds and horsemen are hardly ever seen. I play Chaos myself and I agree that he needed more bulk to his force. Since he finished setting up first I then just placed my knights on his open flank where the terrain made it impossible for him to hit me. It also helped that I was able to spam IoN five times per turn, usually succeding. That and the lodestone kept my BK in one piece.

You are correct, I could have done a lot more damage with two groups of Black Knights vs. one. However, there is a Tzeetch magic missile spell which can do a lot of damage and at one point he killed 5 black knights at once. Luckly I managed to raise them all back, but only because of there were survivors. I play against Chaos a lot and when their magic gets through my defences it can do a lot of damage. Probably next time I will try two maneuver groups vs one.

As for my combat vamp I simply wanted the heavy armor. I could have taken the Flayed Hauberk and the Sword of might and it would have been 10 pts cheaper. However, I had to make up an army list right on the spot and didnt think it through heavily. Normally I would have just given this character the sword of striking, talisman of lycni and black periapt. I name all my characters and try to give them backstories (as gay as that may sound). This particular one is a Reaper model and painted up as a beautiful warrior. Her job is to speed through the battle to hack apart large Chaos Heroes and war machine crews who hopefully fall victim to her Beguiling charm.

Munkey

Grave Guard
Nice result Darebear!

You're using the old zombie bait/redirect technique then?

Keep up the good work!

Yeah, turn 7. He wanted to keep playing.

Yes the zombie bait worked. Someone here was nice enough to enlighten me on this. By placing zombies in such a way and angle his chaos warriors were forced to either charge them, turn around, back up or do nothing since the zombies prevented a wheel. It worked like a charm.

In my first few games with my vamps I was trying to use brute force to win. It really didnt work well. I have since realized (with help from this forum) that the movement aspect of the game is very important, if not the most important. Also, it is almost emberassing on how many times I forget that a shield and hand weapon armor bonus does not count on flank charges. I forget that all the time. I have to remember that next time I play the local chaos player. Chaos knights and warriors are somehow not as frightening to me while that rule is in my mind.

Munkey

Grave Guard
Mounted troops don't get the hand weapon + shield save bonus, so can't lose it when charged in flank/rear.

Movement was the big difference between fantasy & 40K. In 40K virtually all units have 360 degrees movement. This means that deployment was never a huge issue as you could redploy easily to correct any tactical mistakes. Also alot of fighting is done at range, with 360 degree line of sight, so again you can hang back and just shoot your foes without worrying about moving. This may have changed with the new scenarios, capturing objectives and all that.

Whereas in fantasy, with more limited manouvreability, the deployment phase is much more important. The majority of games involve alot of hand to hand fighting and to help win combats, getting into flanks or rears will certainly help. We VC, with our spamable movement spell + are ability to raise fresh units behind enemy formations = a great advantage.

The manouvreability factor is what lots of people struggled to get the hang of when swapping from 40K to Fantasy in the store I worked at. I even heard someone moaning on Tuesday that they prefered 40K as "It's alot less complicated". He had just been out manouvered and battered by his opponent.