• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I was thinking, and instead of having too many unique rules for individual units, that perhaps we should try and come up with generic rules.

So here are a few I had:

Chiro
All Chiro's are immensley powerful, even the weakest far stronger than a normal human. Their bodies can knit togther damage in an instant, and with such powers it is not surprising they fear nothing
Any model with the Chiro rule have the following special rules:
Fearless
Night Vision / Acute Senses
Eternal Warrior*
*this will be balanced by weaker Chiro's only having one wound.

Cythor Fiend
The indigenous lifeform to the Ghouls stars, these creatures are swift and deadly, claws capable of tearing limb from limb. However they are far from mindless, actually being extremely intelligent , making them fell foes
Any model with the Cythor rules:
Fleet*
Furious Charge
Echolocation (see below)
Rending

They also come automatically equipped with wings (jump packs)

Echolocation
The Cythor Fiends and certain technologies developed by the Chrio function "see" using echolocation. This enables them to operate without any light, and renders any illusion technology redundant

All models with this rule may see as normal during Night Fighting. Also any models that has abilites / conferred by camoflauge / illusionary etc do not work - this will need discussing more in detail

Nano-Slave
Many of the Chiro's forces are made up mindless automatons, humans and other creatures there are brain dead but run by small amounts of nanobots in the hosts systems. Though effectively unthinking they are fearless, and will carry on fighting even when they have suffered wounds that would stop a space marine. However to make full use of these slaves, a chiro controller needs to be in close proximity
Any units with this rule have the following abilties:
Fearless - with the exception the unit cannot go to ground under any circumstances. They simply don't have the brains to think of it!

In addition if there is a Chiro within 12" the unit gains the following:
+1 to WS
+1 to BS
Feel No Pain

So comments?

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jun 9, 2009
Disciple of Nagash said:
Cythor Fiend
The indigenous lifeform to the Ghouls stars, these creatures are swift and deadly, claws capable of tearing limb from limb. However they are far from mindless, actually being extremely intelligent , making them fell foes
Fleet*
Furious Charge
Echolocation (see below)
Rending

I don't think all Cythor fiends should have Fleet, Furious Charge and rending. I think it would be better to give this to the diffrent units seperatly. So maybe the more heavily armoured ones (elite) would have Furious Charge but not fleet. While the younger ones in core would have fleet due to being smaller and more agile.

Echolocation sounds good.

Maybe something to do with Nano-Slave being unable to run if there too far froma chiro. Also something to do with crumbling for things like Nano-Slave etc.

Yeah, definately don't give then all rending, else your gonna have squads of basic Feinds opening Termies like tin openers.

As for the Ciro, I don't see why they need acute senses. Eternal Wrrior and Fearless are fine, but how is the better senses justified?

Also in keeping in line with VC ideals, I think there should be a rule somehting along the lines of this:
Pack Instincts
Despite their intelligence Cythor Fiends are still pack creatures at heart, living and hunting as a group under direction from their Warleaders. Should these figures of authority be removed the Cythors become swiftly demoralised, losing the will to continue the fight.
If, at the beggining of the armies turn, there are no friendly HQ units left on the board, all Cythor Fiend units must take a Ld test. If they fail the unit flees and counts as destoyed. For every friendly unit of Cythor Fiends within 6" add +1 to units leadership.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Well the fluff was that all grown Cythor's have these nasty claws that open armour. Remember the basic fiends are not troop choices. The young Cythors would not have this rules.

In fact out of all I would say they should keep rending though perhaps lose the Fleet & Furious charge, which can be given to specific units.

Chiro have acute senses as they are basically vampires - can see in the dark? It would less sense for them not to have it?

I'm not too sure on that Pack Instinct Rule. It means whole packs can just go, which considering these might be your elite or fast attack seems a tad harsh.

We do need some kind of crumbling type rule though.......

Meier Lenk

Black Knight
Aug 29, 2008
manchester
hmm...change the "pack instincts" rule to an obligatory move towards the nearest table edge, instead of fleeing the field?

it is less likely to wipe out the whole force in one go, but could still cause a lot of (very amusing) havoc that way i think...it might still be a bit heavy handed though

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
How about we just make their leadership value drop by 1 for each turn they are too far away/lacking a hq or chiro unit?

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
OK, so the new Cythor rule would be:

Cythor Fiend
Echolocation (see below)
Rending

I take it people are happy with the Chiro, Echolocation and Nano-slave rules? CRD - in regards to what you said about it being negative if nano-salves were far away from a Chiro, well considering that I would expect any with the Nano-slave rule to be quite poor in stats, specially WS/BS, then that should be a negative all by itself.

I still can't think of a decent crumbling type rule for 40K.......

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Now that sounds promising. It would really mess around with movement....yeah I think something like that would work. You want to draw up the rule?

Sure, give me 10 minutes. Oh, do we want modifiers from other units in prioximity aka pack mentality, or just plain simple?

Edit: Actually never mind. I'll put all my ideas for modifiers into it and we can pick and choose from popular opinion.

Pack Instincts
Despite their intelligence Cythor Fiends are still pack creatures at heart, living and hunting as a group under direction from their Warleaders. Should these figures of authority be removed the Cythors become swiftly demoralised, often milling around in confusion, unable to continue the fight.
If, at the beggining of the armies movement phase, there are no friendly HQ units left on the board, all Cythor Fiend units must take a Ld test. If they fail this test the unit is pinned for that turn.

Possible mods: Add +1 to units leadership for every friendly unit of Cythor Fiends within 6".
Subtract 1 from the units leadership if there are no Friendly Cythor Fiend units within 18".

There we go.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I would refrain from "grouping" lots of special rules/USR together for now. I'd develop each unit and then once complete, if there are a lot of things that have the same USRs, then you can group them together for sake of simplicity.

Echolocation - I don't like "negating" of other units special rules... negating Night Fight is fine (that's only what... 1 turn in 1/3 of the games, if you randomly rolled everything). Versus "special stealth rules", maybe something like, "can reroll attempts to detect" or "rolls an extra d6", or 2d6", 1d6+6", or some other 'bonus' "... right out negating is very bad. There are some very expensive units, with powerful stealth abilities (Tau Stealth teams and Harlequins come to mind). Should it even work at all on Harlequins (it's "stealth" via a Psychic ability)?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu