• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Jan 19, 2011
So guys,

after reading our new book we all know that our troops can make march moves if they are within 12" of our general... much like the range of inspiring presence.

But.... if our general would ride a mount, catagory "large target", would that range be increased to 18" (see rulebook pg 107)?

What do you think?

maxtoreador

Grave Guard
Sep 11, 2011
Literal rule reading from the book? No.
Spirit, maybe implied rule? Possibly.

Just about every 'leadership' or 'command' ability in the game has a 12" range that is boosted to 18". It could be implied that we get the same to our 12" march. If you want ask your TO or your opponent before the game or point it out to the store owner to get a 'house rule' in place before hand on which way it's played.

Personally; I don't see why not(think it's only fair).

Vampire Ron

Grave Guard
Sep 28, 2011
I don't see how there is possibly any wriggle room in this. As DoN said in a thread that is exactly the same in the rules section, he sees it as how far the magical aura of the character extends, not whether the troops can see him or not. Besides, skeletons don't have eyes.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom
The Night Masquerade said:
So guys,

after reading our new book we all know that our troops can make march moves if they are within 12" of our general... much like the range of inspiring presence.

But.... if our general would ride a mount, catagory "large target", would that range be increased to 18" (see rulebook pg 107)?

What do you think?

The answer is no.
Its 12 inches only.

Think of this as his radius of power.
Beyond 12 inches is a no go.

18 inches on a large monstrous creature only works because of the size and more people can see him, which granted is great for moral.... but we are dead and its something different all together.

Hope that cleared it up for you.

Yorga

Vampire Count
True Blood
Apr 7, 2011
12 inches is pretty clear regarding marching. However, on a large target the general could confer his leadership where appropriate. Such as the unit testing for a free reform before moving. Or a unit with the Vampiric rule testing to see if it can march withing 8 inches of an enemy.

Now here is a bit of tactics for marching. If you general is on a flyer, start in the middle of the table. Not many charges in first round but you do need to march. All units within 12 inches take there march move. Now fly the general over to one of the sides where you might have Hex Wraiths or Direwolves. March those. :tongue: Problem solved. This way you don't need to deploy in a small boxy area. What allows this is that the rule has no reference to 'at the start of their turn.'

drmooreflava

Grave Guard
Jan 14, 2012
I posted on this earlier in the rules forum. No its doesn't change anything, but I think it might be a possible oversight by GW or a purposful achilles tendon of our army.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Which leadership has not changed and has been the rule all edition.
as I said 18 inches is moral or if you prefer leadership.
Undead won't get a power buff on march because the guy is more visible.

I am surprised they had not referenced at the start of the turn, they did in 7th edition when they said in range of a vampire at the start of the turn.

maxtoreador

Grave Guard
Sep 11, 2011
Just a foot note: I do agree that the book says 12" and it is 12", just in the same thought it's a why the heck not an 18"?

For us it's the inverse of our enemies, they go "the banner/general is over there on that great big thing "I'm inspired", for us it's more that our general (who has more or less direct magical/psychic/whatever command of his army) doesn't have to waste time/power sensing/looking for/remembering the location of his units to send commands as he can just see them from his high perch. You could also argue that I'm completely wrong in the 'lore' reason why we have the 12" march limit, and I'd have plenty of counter arguments but I can think of a tonne of other reasons why we should lorewise have either 18" large target march or get our 6" non-general march range back.

All I'm saying is it's a small concession that makes sense to me if your opponent/non-GW TO is willing to give you it.

Ice Junkie

Zombie
Jan 8, 2012
In the spirit of the rules, I would say its 12" no matter what. The way around that, like Yorga said, is to march was units you can, move the vampire, and march an other units. I Expect this to change whenever they update the FAQ because although they do not say at the beginning of your turn, it's possibly an oversight.

Vampire Ron

Grave Guard
Sep 28, 2011
I don't see why it should be at the beginning of the turn? When he moves does his magical aura take a turn to catch up with him? I wouldn't think so...

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jun 9, 2009
Ice Junkie said:
In the spirit of the rules, I would say its 12" no matter what. The way around that, like Yorga said, is to march was units you can, move the vampire, and march an other units. I Expect this to change whenever they update the FAQ because although they do not say at the beginning of your turn, it's possibly an oversight.

Technically you declare all your march moves at the same time as far as I'm aware so this wouldn't work. Could be wrong don't have my rules with me but I'm pretty sure.

akiro27

Wight King
Oct 1, 2010
Minnesota
To double check:
If another Lore-of-Vamps caster takes over after our General dies (and a brief crumble), the marching-bubble would not be reinstated, correct? As I understand it, the new caster can hold them together, but cannot grant them march moves.

-aki

Jan 19, 2011
akiro27 said:
To double check:
If another Lore-of-Vamps caster takes over after our General dies (and a brief crumble), the marching-bubble would not be reinstated, correct? As I understand it, the new caster can hold them together, but cannot grant them march moves.

-aki

Yep, your general is gone... so no bubble anymore. Otherwise, this would mean you have another general, which means if he gets killed too, your opponent gets twice the victory points for killing a general...

Vampire Ron

Grave Guard
Sep 28, 2011
Capt Rubber Ducky said:
Technically you declare all your march moves at the same time as far as I'm aware so this wouldn't work. Could be wrong don't have my rules with me but I'm pretty sure.

I can't see any reference to this in the rulebook. in fact, in the movement section it says:

Once the chosen unit has has finished its movement, the player can pick and move another unit...

N1AK

Vampire Count
True Blood
Apr 21, 2008
Vampire Ron said:
I don't see why it should be at the beginning of the turn? When he moves does his magical aura take a turn to catch up with him? I wouldn't think so...

I have no issue with playing it as within 12" of the general when they move. In fact for good generals that will be a definite benefit. It's clearly what the rules say anyway.

I guess my only concern is that I can see this being widely misplayed. Players will have to think very carefully about the order they move there units in, and I can see many/most cocking it up and wanting to move units back etc.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
Its obvious, if a unit is within 12 of the general, they can march. The key word is "IS". Is means that for them to march, they have to be within 12 at the time of marching.

Drathys

Skeleton
Nov 1, 2011
one things that i don't quite get is how this affects flying.
so if our fell bats aren't within the range of the general they van only move one inch? seems a bit ridiculous surely if they can fly they can fly.

Dan_Lee

Grave Guard
Aug 14, 2010
Nottingham
Surely this is an oversight and the marching bubble should be checked at the start of the turn (as in the previous rulebook).

If you literally say you can only march while within 12" of the general, then you must stop marching as soon as you are outside 12", preventing you from completing your move properly and causing all sorts of confusion about how much movement you have left, etc.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
March is declared at the start of the march, moving out of the march bubble during the march doesn't end the move any more then marching towards an enemy unit makes you stop to check your leadership when you reach the march blocking radius.

Is your unit within 12" of the general at the start of its movement? You can march. That's all there is to it. Just move your general's unit last, and you'll be fine.

N.I.B

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 26, 2007
Malisteen said:
Is your unit within 12" of the general at the start of its movement? You can march. That's all there is to it. Just dont charge with your general, and you'll be fine.
There, fixed that for you.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
If you're general's in the middle of your battle line, and you're general's charging, the rest of your battle line units are likely either also in charge range or, if they're not, are at least in a position where marching is no longer necessary.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu